“Brilliant!!!”
Review of Whitley Hall Hotel

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed three nights here as we were meeting friend, who joined us for evening meal and drinks on the first night which was brilliant, and attended the most beautiful wedding and reception of our friends son and bride. We had an absolutely wonderful time the staff are so friendly and go that extra mile, the room was delightful, everything so clean and smart and the food was delicious both at breakfast and evening. The wedding reception was superb everything went like clockwork and the food was outstanding, well done everyone and thank you, I hope we can visit again soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed 20 August 2010

Our Romantic break was superb throughout and exceeded our expectations. Breakfast number 1 was a bit unusual being the usual cold offerings plus a limited range of hot, served by a member of staff from the hot servery. We were asked not to help ourselves but wait for a staff member -perhaps we might have hurt ourselves! Next day (when there was not a large wedding party to cope with) we got a breakfast menu card and the full offerings including kippers, porridge, a choice of eggs etc. all cooked to order.
Our room was upgraded for our celebration and all staff were excellent.
Dinners well worthy of their Rosettes - really good.
Bedroom a tad too hot- probably the duvet too thick for August use.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I must say Whitley Hall tops all accommodations I've ever stayed in. And the price was amazing. Through laterooms I was able to get two double rooms with king-sized beds, one for my mother and one for my 10-year old son and I, at half price. The narrow gravel road up to the hotel, lush overhanging trees, ivy and other greenery, was the perfect introduction to this enchanting retreat. the staff were welcoming and helpful upon our arrival and the old world decor was simply breathtaking. See photos. The peacocks of course were my son's favorite. Great breakfast and staff were patient and accommodating with my son, given that this really is a hotel of a more romantic nature. Distinguishing touches included the crystal decanter with complimentary sherry and the quality toiletries, tea & cookies. What a beautiful retreat it was. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I could go on and on and on about this hotel but to summarise we had a civil wedding ceremony here and have stayed at Whitley several times before and after and have never been disappointed. The gardens, the rooms, the staff and the food are all fantastic and the hotel really does deserve its 2 AA rosettes. However we still can not believe that it is rated as only 3 stars. We have stayed in many hotels and Whitley definitely without a doubt deserves 4 stars. The rooms are modern, comfortable and are set in such lovely surroundings. There are often special offers on too which are a bargain.
If you like a hotel with a relaxed atmosphere, good food, a lovely room and grounds then this is the one for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Whitley Hall has to be one of my favourite all time hotels. I got married there some 12 years ago now and on special occasions such as birthdays and anniversarys myself and my hubby treat ourselves to the romantic break deal. This time we stayed in room 16, the peacock room (honeymoon suite). First time we have stayed in this room and it was truly stunning with a very old four poster bed, very large jacquizzi bath and overall truly remarkable. The food at Whitley Hall is exceptional from the bar meal in the afternoon, evening meal to breakfast the following day. Lovely walk if you head out of the hotel and turn right and over the farmers field to the back of Ecclesfield Church and back up the lane again to Whitley Hall. Good walk to work off the pink sparkly stuff before your evening meal. The only draw back was the less than attentive receptionist come bar maid who was on duty when we checked in. As it was a warm sunny day I ordered a bottle of beer which she proceeded to pour in a pint glass ! Other than that all the other staff we came into contact with during our stay were extremely polite and very helpful.

Again, wonderful stay and the romantic break well worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dalton2
Reviewed 9 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, it is set in a quiet location with beautiful countryside on the north side of Sheffield. The room/ensuite was super, the bed very large, food excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful especially Jane at breakfast time. Watch out for the peacocks in the car park! The only thing that would improve this hotel would be a swimming pool/spa.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janeerica
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Was treated to a night at Whitley Hall at the start of the Easter Bank Holiday as a surprise, and what a nice surprise it was.

We arrived via public transport and this is done by catching a train to Chapeltown on the Sheffield - Barnsley train route and then a taxi to the hall. The taxi will cost around £5 if you plan to do the same.

Booked in at the very cosy reception without any issues and then headed to our room to settle in. We were in the new wing with a room overlooking the lake and very nice it was too. Bed was nice and comfy, as were the two armchairs, and the room was tastefully decorated - a very nice place to relax. You could choose to do so with a nice glass of complimentary port, but we opted for the pink cava which was provided as part of our package instead.

The bathroom is also well set out, but I was a bit disappointed with the shower. It had a lovely broad head, but didn't exactly come out with any force, meaning it didn't quite cover you all.

We headed down for some late lunch and had our first experience of the food that Whitley Hall excels at. We went into the bar area and settled by one of the many fires that were burning throughout and opted for a chicken club sandwich (my wife) and a black pudding, egg & mango chutney sandwich (myself). We didn't share as my wife doesn't like black pudding, but I can say it certainly wasn't my loss. It is without doubt the best black pudding I've ever tasted and the unusual combination really works. I had this with a bottle of Peroni as I did think the beer choice was a bit lacking. Unless I'm missing anything, the draft choice was Becks Vier, Stella, Boddingtons (I think?) & Bass and it could have done with having a local brewery on tap as well. The choice available is somewhat generic and doesn't separate it from lesser places, which doesn't sit well with the standard set in all other areas. Bar prices were obviously not cheap, but pretty reasonable considering there is nothing else in the vicinity - I think the Peroni was round £3.80 which you will easily get charged in many a city centre bar.

Also had dinner booked in the evening which was served in the restaurant area. It was very busy when we went, so definitely book ahead. As mentioned above, I have to say the food was outstanding. My wife opted for ham hock terrine to start followed by breast of lamb with lamb meatballs and both dishes tasted fabulous. I opted for Quenby Hall stilton with beef fillet salad to start which was really good (the stilton was more yellow in colour to the norm, but worked really well with the carpaccio beef); followed by leg and saddle of rabbit stuffed with black pudding (again!). This tasted amazing too - I really was impressed with the standard of cooking.

We did follow up with desert and we shared the best puddings we've had in an age. Fed up with the usual brownie/sticky toffee pudding/ice cream combo beloved of most restaurants? Then try either the peanut butter parfait with banana ice cream, or the lemon panacotta with black pepper ice cream, which is what we opted for. Absolutely sensational. Had a quick drink afterwards by the roaring coal fire which was nice way to end the evening.

Before leaving in the morning we had a quick walk in the grounds. Unfortunately the weather had meant we couldn't enjoy taking more of the surrounding area in the previous day. Did bump into the Hall's peacocks though who are evidently very well looked after!

Overall I can really recommend staying at Whitley Hall and will definitely head back again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple