“Pulled out all the stops for Mum's 70th”

Peppercorn Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 1,483 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Peppercorn is a great, local restaurant which offers superb food and fine wines at very affordable prices. Chef Charlie Curran uses fresh, seasonal and wherever possible local sourced ingredients to create fantastic menus which incorporate new ideas with old classics. Service is friendly, informal and always with a smile!
Reviewed 28 May 2014

When my mum decided to book a restaurant to host her 70th birthday lunch which I had never visited, I was a little worried to say the least! 18 ladies who lunch and a milestone birthday were steep targets to hit. However, I have to say that they hit every one. Peppercorn do not open at lunchtime unless it's a large table. Kelly worked with my Mum to create a menu with 2 options for each course and an excellent wine choice to meet the high standards that these ladies expect (luncheon club at Baldwins every month is a high standard!) We all arrived to be met by Kelly and her fabulous staff with a suggestion of drinks. Obviously the fact that the weather was gorgeous helped. The menu was perfectly composed; salmon three ways and duck for starters. Not a morsel was left on the plate. The mains arrived; I ordered the monkfish in a korma sauce; it was absolutely beautiful; delicate and fragrant; another empty plate. Desert was Eton Mess, not messy enough for my liking but absolutely gorgeous! All in all, cannot recommend this restaurant, the staff and it's setting enough.

2  Thank MelCutlan

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I gave Peppercorn a try yesterday and will probably return. We were greeted in a warm and friendly way and drank (expensive) gin & tonics in the cosy bar area whilst making our selections from the midweek and a la carte menus.We were then shown to our table, which was more cafe than fine-dining and would have benefited from a tablecloth, or flowers, or a candle etc. However, it was comfortable and there was plenty of elbow-room.

The standard of our meals ranged from superb to mediocre. My starter of black pudding scotch eggs was magnificent, and my main of calves' liver, mash and onions was good. My wife's pear and blue cheese starter with walnuts was ok but her main of red snapper was superb.We both followed up with sticky toffee pudding with custard but we were disappointed to find that it was small and too light. A good sticky toffee pudding should stick to the ribs.This one almost floated in the custard. I then had an espresso, which was bitter and petit fours, which were poor.

So, some very enjoyable food and some less so. However, there was one aspect which was justifiably complaint-worthy and that was the portion size.The starter was just about acceptable but the mains were tiny. They were served on plates with a large diameter but a small hollow in the middle. Had they been served on flat plates they would have looked ridiculous.I realise that the menu included side dish options but should it really be necessary to bring a meal up to acceptable size by buying vegetables to go with it?

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having never managed to visit the previous restaurant in this little 'offshot' building, we had no prejudices to manage, unlike many other reviewers. It looks a little like a portacabin from the outside, but is quite cosy within. We were greeted warmly and provided with a couple of standard G'n'Ts (no fancy gins or tonics here!) whilst looking over the menu. The choices are few, but the range should satisfy most people - a mix of slightly experimental dishes and old favourites. The service throughout the meal was very good - always someone to hand but never intrusive - and the food came at the right tempo. The wine-list is limited and a bit underwhelming - more wines by the glass would be nice. However, we managed to drink a couple of bottles on our celebratory visit!

The food itself is good, and presented with a small degree of theatre - smoke in bell jars with eel, for example. Taste-wise, things were quite vivid but perhaps punches are pulled for the regular customers, who may prefer things a bit on the low-key side. A main of lamb was perfectly cooked - nicely pink - in a very tasty sauce but was not an adventourous choice. The cheese board at the end was once again good, but not outstanding.

So - a very pleasant evening but not an exciting one, in food terms and not a cheap one, either. We would happily visit again, for the friendly, unrushed service and skillful cooking but a more interesting menu and wine-list might have us back sooner.

1  Thank Pete M
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My second visit to Peppercorn. Very attentive staff, good food, relaxed atmosphere... in short, the perfect place to chill-out and indulge the senses. What a contrast to my catastrophic visit to Marco Pierre White's new "Marco's New York Italian", also in Sheffield, the evening before : chalk and cheese... Marco's is inferior, and by miles, in every respect. Peppercorn still ticks all the boxes for me and, although I'm still searching, I have yet to find a Sheffield restaurant that is better. In fact, I made another booking at Peppercorn for later this week, making the most of my week in Sheffield. A special thank you to Christie, and her wonderful service, for making my day.

8  Thank alsithy
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Like many above, this was our first visit since changing from the excellent Morans. Unlike many of the above, it will be our last.
The atmosphere was good but the front of house gave the impression of being scared, out of their depth rookies. The head waitress spat her 'machine gun' patter with a hint of stress that didn't help you relax.
The starters were pretty but uneventful, devoid of taste and a bit on the small side.
The mains were the same.
When they arrived you could see everyone was disappointed with the portion size. The Lamb particularly was a joke.
All the veg were undercooked and all the meats were lacking flavor. When one is spending around £50 per head you would expect to come away saying 'my pork was delicious or 'that sauce was outstanding' or to have at least one highlight of the experience. We didn't and so the bill did feel a bit of a rip off.
I feel they are trying hard to be like Morans were with the menu, presentation and price but falling short with the food.
However, the place was busy with a very nice atmosphere so maybe we were just unlucky. I won't be risking it again at that price though.