“Cheap and Cheerful”

Ranked #382 of 1,520 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Healthy, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Being an award-winning pub, we provide the best customer experience, with superb quality, choice and value, in both food and drink.
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Reasonable food at reasonable prices we went after Christmas shopping and couldn't face cooking. Parking a bit of a pain but we went to Waitrose carpark and did our food shop as well

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Been twice now as wanted to give it a fair chance and too be honest found it quite poor both times.The food as been average at best but for me the real problem is the bar staff,both times were in it was not that busy and yet you end up stood waiting for ages to be served first time the manager was on the bar but despite the fact he knew we were waiting to order he decided to serve people who had just walked throu the door perhaps he spotted the menu in my hand and just cba as it was too much work for him to take the order.The second time again same problem its as if the staff dont want to deal with customers ordering food.They dont make eye contact and have no awareness of customers who have been waiting and ones who have just walked in again perhaps they can just not be bothered.the only plus i found was a cheap pint but overall dont bother.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I ate lunch at Wetherspoons, Chapeltown, Sheffield, yesterday and, although the place had been recommended by a friend who had breakfasted there, our visit was indeed a fiasco. I was with my friend and her 91 year old mother. We ordered at the bar and asked if our hot drinks could be brought to the table at the same time as the food, so they would not be cold. This was not apparently possible, we would have to come back to the bar to collect them later.

We duly did this and waited about absolutely ages to be served. This was a Monday and the pub was not very busy, I dread to think what it is going to be like at a weekend! We were round the corner from our table, so we were unaware that our food had been delivered and was going cold, as we waited for our hot drinks. The bar waitress seemed to be serving people if any old order. The bar man was fussing about with some problem with a till. The man I presumed was the manager was helping him. Nobody made eye contact with the customers. Eventually the manager asked the bar man to get our "tea and large latte wasn't it?" for us. The manager obviously knew exactly what we were waiting for. We waited another age, while he fetched milk and pratted about. Eventually the manager said they would bring our drinks to our table. On returning to the table we found our food was there, and my fish and chips were stone cold. I returned this to the bar, asking for a replacement. When this came the chips and peas were fresh, but I am sure it was the same fish which had been refried. I could not get a fork through the dark batter it was so hard, so I had to leave it.

Our drinks eventually came but I had to sit there whilst my friends at their meal, and they had to sit there when I ate mine. My mug of tea was delivered, with a floating teabag. I said I had ordered a pot of tea, but was told they did not serve tea in pots. I said nobody told me this. I asked where I was supposed to put the teabag (on the table??) and the bar man said he would bring a plate. He also had to return for a spoon and return again for milk. The milk was brought in a tiny expresso coffee cup, with no lip. Trying pouring that and not making a mess!

Along with missing sugar, missing butter etc the hopeless staff had to return to our table loads of times. The quality of the food was good, and eventually was hot, but served on cold plates, so my friends tikka and her mother's brunch were cold before they had finished eating.

My friend and I went to the toilet, and she could not unwind the toilet paper in her cubicle, so I had to pass some to her under the door. When we returned to our table I found it had been cleared, but a buttery knife had dropped on to my leather handbag and was still there. that was the final straw!

The manager had come over to us to apologise, and offered us free desserts, but we did not have them. My friend had a hospital appointment she had to get to.

Come on Wetherspoons, get your act together. Free desserts do not make up for bad service!!!

Tell me the magic formula for getting a hot meal and a hot drink at the same time, because I couldn't fathom it out. Train your staff to put the customer first, make eye contact, and not prat about with things that can be done later. (There were other tills available). Also one man in the queue told me he had been overcharged 3 times.

In case you think I am a moaner, I am not really. I have travelled extensively (USA, Australia, Europe, China) and rarely if ever make any complaints. But we all left Wetherspoons yesterday feeling very let down and fed up. Needless to say we wont be back!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is exactly what Chapeltown needed, simple cheap food and low cost drinks in a clean decent quality environment. Ate here for the first time this week and was impressed by the food.

The key thing with Wetherspoons is to choose simple food, don't have anything too complicated and you will be fine.

Its certainly not fine dining but its good pub food with absolutely no fuss.

Overall superb value.

I really hope it does well.

2  Thank SUIUHTB