“Breakfast”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here with my mum and teenage daughter for one Saturday night while visiting my neice at Sheffield Uni.
The staff, especially the breakfast staff, could not have been more helpful or polite.
The hotel is centrally located, perfect for the shops and restaurants. Right next door is the indoor garden. An amazing array of semi tropical plants & trees and gift shops galore - and art galleries, perfect for presents.
There is an NCP car park about a 5 minute walk away. You can get the hotel to stamp your NCP ticket and the rate is reduced to £6.50 (I think per day - I only stayed one night). Or, you can give your car keys to the concierge and they will valet park your car below the hotel (bringing it out as many times as you need it) for about £26.
Breakfast was amazing! Fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, porridge, meats & cheeses, sausages, bacon, eggs, hash browns.....endless, and all freshly cooked and served at a buffet. Best buffet breakfast I've seen!
Our room - 107 - on the first floor overlooked the square. It was huge with a lovely bathroom and enormous shower. The TV speaker was in the bathroom, always makes me laugh!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dera Guest Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was especially pleased to read your comments regarding breakfast and I sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked through Expedia and got a great deal compared to prices for other hotels of this calibre. It's perfectly central for shows and galleries etc and when you walk in, there's such a feel of 'light and airy'. With the Peace Garden on show through the glass walls, it feels like you're in somewhere far more exotic than Sheffield! Great bar area and really welcoming staff (though some of the bar staff could do with a bit more training). Large and comfortable room, extremely clean and well-appointed, Would definitely stay again and use the Spa facilities next time. Highly recommended.And eat at Ego next door too - I'll do a separate review for them though!

Room Tip: We had a standard room and it was better than some executive rooms I've stayed in elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. It was a pleasure to read your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here last year for a night whilst visiting family, and to enjoy a night at the theatre. The theatre (crucible) is right next door and the hotel sits on a lovely location in the heart of the city, close to all restaurants, bars and shops. The hotel is loevly. Clean, fresh and beautifully furnished. It has a lovely bar and the breakfasts were fantastic. The staff were lovely. Highly recommend staying here if you are going to Sheffield. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and I will ensure the team are aware if it. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I visited the Mercure for one night as a birthday treat with a spa built in. I have visited the chain or Accord hotels in Lancashire and Spain so have a reasonable expectation. The main reception team was on good form and on arrival I was remembered from 12 months ago and instantly felt welcomed (nice touch). Check in was very prompt and easy.Consistent service built on from last year and a strong reason why I like to visit the Mercure from that aspect.

The Champagne Bar staff were very friendly professional and prompt with as always good customer service. I asked some of the front of house team for directions around Sheffield City during my stay. The team were very knowledgeable and gave good directions!! (good touch team!)

Breakfast, prompt table clean and ready.The service was excellent and friendly and as always professional (I like that). Consistent professional service built on from last year and a strong reason why I like the Mercure from that aspect.

My room was very clean, lovely and bright with a good view, good but as some of the previous reviewers have identified at 4 star level one would certainly have expected complimentary bottled water. I also noted in the bathroom re complimentary's mini shampoo but no moisturiser! Very unusual at this level I have even had these finishing touched in B&B in the lakes come on Mercure!!! The mini fridge/cooler (or what ever Mercure name this mechanism in the hotel room) was a challenge and on making further enquiries into its functionality I was advised it wasnt a fridge nor cooler- then what was its purpose Mercure??

The room in the eve felt cool but this was quickly remedied with a call to reception where I was promptly delivered on request an extra duvet cover. I experienced a remote control TV malfunction later and again this was promptly resolved by one of the friendly and effective front of house team.

Sadly the Spa experience (back of house) was not on a par from last year. The personal treatment from Jodie was lovely and not rushed as some reviewers have said about their treatments. However, my original booking was made a month in advance and on arrival moved to one hour later due to staff sickness (cant be helped I guess but I was in a small Grp. ) On arrival to the changing room I noticed a red mop bucket which never moved from my arrival to the changing rooms and still there over an 1hour and half later( health and safety issue?) No hairdryers were in operation either in the changing room. How can this be when ladies are having spas using pool, sauna etc? Its these little touches that at times I feel let Mercure down as an overall experience and at times its like looking at a BMW front on (front of house) but actually on closer inspection its made up of cheaper bits....

The gym said what was on the tin. Some of the electronic equipment however didnt appear to be in working order and there was no one identifiable in the gym to ask. As a regular gym attender this didnt pose an issue for me ,but would fear for Mercure if someone got into difficulties and one was unable to find the gym lead? There are photos on the outside of the gym but the gym appeared unattended or no one approache dme knowing I was anew face to ask if I was ok with the equipment ( potential health and safety issue here maybe?)

Overall a very pleasant experience but back of house I fear could let Mercure down..

Room Tip: Just ask the reception team for your requirements!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at MercureSheffield St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I was pleased to read most of your feedback and have asked the hotel Spa Manager to investigate the points you raised regarding your visit to the Spa. Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My sister and I recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend spa break. On arrival staff were very helpful and friendly and the room was perfect, very spacious and clean with bath and separate shower in the room. The hotel was modern, bright and in a great location right in the city centre. We were disappointed with the service in the restaurant, staff seemed in no hurry to serve customers often standing behind the bar staring into space, nobody greeted us on arriving at the eating area so we were unsure whether we could just chose our own table and we waited 20 minutes before any of the staff acknowledged us and took our order. We had noticed other people having aftenoon tea but there was no mention of this on the menu and when we asked a waiter about it he simply said ''yeah tea and sandwiches, you want?'' without telling us the type of sandwiches etc available. We then waited 45 minutes for it to come out, they forgot to bring us our tea but did provide 8 small jars of jam!!! Sadly the sandwiches were very dry as if they had been left out for a long time. The scones were average and cakes somewhat flavourless. Disappointing after such a long wait. We then had some treatments at the spa which was overcrowded and there had been mix ups with treatments booked by other hotel guests, instead of it being a relaxing experience you felt as if you were on a production line. They had run out of robes so we had to walk up two flights of stairs from the pool to the spa area in a swimming costume barefoot and there was no space in the ''relaxation room'' as there were so many people so we say in a tea room opposite. The treatments were ok but felt rushed. All in all the hotel was ok, but sadly not quite the relaxing weekend exerience we'd hoped for, all style and no substance perhaps...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rachel j
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Hotel and Spa. I will ensure we as a team action the points you raised and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed Saturday nite reception staff very welcoming and helpfull ! Size of room was very good and bathroom and room very clean! Air condition not working propperly Frige not working at all, and also tv did not offer movie or entratening Chanel at all! Also a hotel of 4* should at least offer client a simple bottle of water in room! Room we stayed was n 130!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank 1671
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I am very pleased to read your comments and have noted the points you have raised. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito