“Great central hotel”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for two nights over a weekend in a privilege room. we were warmly welcomed at the check in and that freinly service was maintained by all staff we came in contact with over the weekend.
The bedroom was perfect, a good size with king bed, bathroom had separate shower and bath. We had complimentary soft drinks in the minibar and a large tv.
They happily extended our check out time by an hour on Sunday and held our bags while we had a final walk around the town

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My wife and I were staying at the Mercure for one night to attend a couple of events as part of a large group (100+). At the Saturday evening function in the adjacent City Hall, my wife's existing cold became worse so we returned to the hotel earlier than expected. The following morning she wasn't well enough to attend the formal breakfast but was able to remain in our room as the standard check-out time is noon. When I went to join her in reception around 12.15 it was evident that she was still unwell. Whilst I was settling the bill she fainted. The hotel management provided immediate assistance, together with one of our group. Our bedroom was re-opened so that my wife could rest and recover before we caught our train home, drinks were provided and sensible advice given by the hotel First Aid trained manager. Having returned home we received an email message from the hotel enquiring about my wife's health.
We would rather not have tested these aspects of the hotel's facilities but were pleased that they were not found wanting.
This positive and helpful attitude reflected the approach of all the staff we encountered during our brief stay. The accommodation is contemporary and comfortable and the hotel is well placed in the centre of Sheffield and close to the station (£4-5 taxi fare or a 10minute walk). Other members of our group, including several guests from overseas, took advantage of the spa as they were staying for longer. The food was good, although it would have benefitted the cooked breakfast to have had heated plates. Service was efficient and there were plenty of staff to respond to questions or requests. There is free WiFi in the bedrooms as well as public areas and calls to reception were promptly answered.
This isn't the lowest cost hotel accommodation in Sheffield but it is excellent value, which is high praise indeed from a Yorkshireman about something in his home county !

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NeilAB

Dear Guest Thank you for your review.I do hope your wife is now fully recovered and was pleased to read how the team assisted with the matter during your time with us. I was also please to read your other comments regarding the hotel and your stay. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed one night as our true objective was to visit the Crucible Theatre opposite and see a show. We were pleasantly surprised by our location and explored winter gardens adjoined. Room was large, although not the best hotel bed I've ever slept in, (too wobbly, unstable).
Spa in the basement was a good couple of hours relaxation with igloo and fragrance shower, shame no hot tub or jacuzii, we couldn't figure out the aroma room??? Smelt warm and damp at best.
Breakfast was worth turning up for, offered bucks fizz! Superb selection and fresh. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Best view are rooms overlooking fountains and square.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was very pleased to read your feedback and hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this month in a privilege room. The room itself was spotless and had everything I needed for my stay. The bathroom had both a bath and shower cubicle which I thought was great. I had some food at the hotel which was lovely and was delivered to the room still hot.

All the staff were really friendly and go out of the way to do the best for the guests. Will be staying here again and will recommend to friends and family

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night before Christmas. We used the lovely spa where the staff were really friendly and helpful and the spa was very pleasant and clean. We enjoyed being in the hotel bar and apart from a dodgy carpet that rippled across the room, the room was large and clean but a little worse for wear. The bed however had a thin mattress and was very uncomfortable. After and very bad nights sleep I nursed my back for over a week. At reception we were told that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment of the beds but it would take time. This I found unacceptable! They know some of there beds are not fit for purpose but they haven't got round to changing them! Then I was asked why I didn't come to reception in the night to complain! As if it would have been acceptable to move rooms in the night! I had also heard the receptionist telling a guest they were full, but she told me they always have some rooms for occasions like these. Well if they had better quality beds available in other rooms then why weren't we there in the first place!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jolenefaruqi

Dear Guest Thank you for your review.Please can you call me on 0114 278 2000 to allow me to discuss the matter further. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Delightful room 5th floor privilege room,fantastic views,comfy bed.A member of reception staff unhelpful,when challenged continued his rude approach.Spoke to rooms manager who said he would speak to him .Spoilt atmosphere for us.This was booked for my daughters graduation.Breafast in room was cold.One of the preserves already half opened.Veggie sausage just tasteless.Champagne bar staff first class,just this one bloke who really upset our stay,poor show

Room Tip: Just get past chap 0n reception and you cant go wrong.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I am sorry that everything was to your satisfaction and please be assured we have taken the appropriate action. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Reviewed 16 January 2014

This is a very good hotel by any standards. Immensely helpful and well trained staff; quiet though city centre location; really good breakfast and a well equipped room and bathroom all helped a successful stay. Wonderful view over Sheffield. Being picky I would say the bedroom lighting is poor for those of us with glasses and someone from Mercure needs to stay overnight in a room to appreciate that power points are not very convenient and that use of the tea tray raises a few problems. Valet car parking may seem expensive but you actually get quite lot for the money and as Sheffield is a bit difficult to negotiate due to one way streets - we appreciated it. Some of our party used the swimming pool facilities and found them good. Dining in Ego bistro is noisy but the food and service very acceptable.

Room Tip: Rooms high up have a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito