“Spa break”

Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
“Spa break”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I booked this hotel as I have stayed before but I was so disappointed. I paid for a privilege room and it defiantly wasn't. The room was small and laid out wrong. There was a massive crack in the wardrobe door. A great big crack in the bathroom sink. I was made to feel very uncomfortable when we went for dinner as I had a voucher that I was given and then was given a bill for the full price. When I questioned the staff there was a lot of staring and pointing. It made me feel very uncomfortable. I was very upset as I booked this to celebrate my 40th birthday. I was so upset we didn't stay for breakfast and wasn't even asked if we had a nice stay. I was to upset to say anything when we checked out. I have emailed the hotel but not heard anything back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vicki M
SHEFFIELDMANAGER, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for your review. I am aware we have now responded directly to your email dated 25th August addressing the points you raised. Best Regards Luisa Esposito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
long eaton
Reviewed 24 August 2014

2day gat waway with friend. very friendly staff so helpfull, very clean room bathroom spotless. tea coffee in room large tv, spa excellent. swimming pool sauna steam room, showers ice room all excellent. weather good so sat outside on chairs with tables watching people coming and going so relaxing.

Room Tip: we was in room 118 very nice but not a good view on city....
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Me and my husband stayed over night on the 23rd August for our wedding anniversary .We got a very friendly welcome when we checked in .Our first thoughts on the hotel when we walked in was Wow this is lovely very posh .Our room was amazing very big and all very clean the bed was so comfortable (we didn't want to get up the next morning ha ha ) The spa area was great and the pool and all facilities great I loved the aroma room and the special shower that let's of nice smell .Over all everything about the stay was fantastic and all staff were very friendly .The breakfast was very nice lots of choice the staff all work so hard to make the hotel what it is I didn't want to leave and we certainly made the right choice in hotel to celebrate of wedding anniversary I'm already looking to see when we can plan our next stay .

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was delighted to read your feedback and will ensure the team are aware of it. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had an excellent stay at this Hotel, a Birthday treat for my Father, rang the Hotel ahead of stay to ensure he had a view of the Peace Gardens and Town Hall, Hotel accommodated no problem. All Staff are excellent, very professional. Rooms spotless, Champagne Bar very nice, evening meal and breakfast well presented. Great location and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Town Hall/Peace Gardens - speak with the Hotel ahead of visit.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was very pleased to read your feedback and hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Sheffield
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel was great. Breakfast good, room nice, spa and pool relaxing.
These are all positives for this hotel but im afraid the next bit is what leaves a bad taste.
Stayed friday 25th july because we were doing Tramlines.
I had booked this on an offer off of Accor Hotels site b+b at a good price.
I then added late checkout £20 extra to book out at 6pm
On check in everything was ok until i mentioned my late checkout. The girl on the desk asked me to check out my room and she would phone me when sorted.
She phoned about 10 minutes later to say everthing was ok it was an admin error.
Next day after breakfast and spa we got ready to go out and watch some bands.
About 1.30 pm there was a knock on the door and it was opened as i got there.
It was the desk manager who asked me what time i was leaving or was i staying another night ?
I explained the above and he said ok and said sorry for the trouble.
We went out and got back at 5.35 pm to get our stuff and leave. But both our keys wouldnt open our door ? We went down stairs and were told the keys sometimes do this and had one reactivated. Went back up and got our stuff.
On going back down the desk manager told us that will be £20 for late checkout ? Having explained the above again he said it wasnt on the booking and did i have an e-mail he could see ? Which i showed him and sent to him. He looked at it and said not to worry it was an admin error. We then left.
The feeling i had as i was leaving was as if they thought we had not paid for this and had locked our door so we couldnt leave without going to the desk.
Hotel manager sent out a survey for me to fill in next day which i did straight away, but i never heard anything back ? A couple of days later Accor Hotel sent me a survey to fill in which i did.
They got back to me and said they would look in to it. Ater over a week i contacted them again and they replied with an apology and an offer of a club card with some points on.
Its just a pity this happened because the place was great but what happened with late checkout makes me unsure about using this hotel again as i still feel like i was dealt like i was after something for nothing. In case it seems like im a regular complainer in all my reviews there has only been 2 problems.

Room Tip: The higher the better for views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TUFFLUFC
SHEFFIELDMANAGER, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Mercure St Paul's Sheffield. I was overall pleased to read your feedback however am very sorry that you experienced a shortfall in the service. Please be assured I will ensure the appropriate action will be taken. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards Luisa Esposito
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

couldnt believe how lovely the hotel was when walked into reception the staff were very attentive and great service food and champagne was inpeciable would recommend great area for drinks and eating with a spot of shopping

room and bathroom was spotless and very good size and everything needed brillant for a standard room if staying in sheffield stay here for sure

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple