“Possibly the worst ever”
Review of Harley Hotel

Harley Hotel
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst ever”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I consider myself to be well traveled and my job has taken me to some pretty run down and inhospitable places around the world. However, nothing could prepare me for the stay at the Harley. This "hotel" was booked for me by my boss and I will be advising him never to use this place again. Never have I experienced such noise at a time when I should be relaxing after a 12 hour shift. After going to bed at 11pm, I thought that the room was very basic, but at least clean,quiet and warm. I was woken at 1am by the bass of the music downstairs, which continued til just before 4am. This happened yet again the following night at more or less the same times. Unacceptable.
I have had a more peaceful night on a North Sea oil drilling platform during a storm, or in a cockroach infested Indonesian Hotel next to a main road and the building's generator. I am not exaggerating, even custom moulded ear plugs wont give you any respite.
This place needs to be closed down for "hotel" use or come with a government health warning about sleep deprivation, or become the next Guantanamo Bay for breaking inmates. I didn't have the breakfast as I set my alarm so I was maximizing my time in bed. The shower was taken in room temperature water and the water pressure was really low. Thank goodness it was for only two nights. IBIS budget, you are forgiven!
You have been warned.

Room Tip: Book into another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Ben B
TheHarley123, Manager at Harley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

We are disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay at The Harley.

We appreciate that the noise from the bar can trouble some of our guests, which is why we make every effort to inform them pre booking and upon check-in, if you weren't aware, we sincerely apologise.

We are sorry the shower wasn't hot enough for you, we can't imagine how this was so. Thank you for your feedback on this, and we'll be sure to keep checking water temperature for the comfort of future guests.

We appreciate you taking the time to review us, even though it wasn't a positive experience for you.

The Harley Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I won't complain about it for the price, the beds were comfy, the beds were clean. It's in a good area and cheap. It's obviously not luxury but not pretending to be either. I'd come back if I was back in town! It is a little loud but nothing too bad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aajsmh1
TheHarley123, Manager at Harley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We're pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Harley!

Hope to see you again soon.

The Harley Management.
Mollina, Spain
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. Went to bed at 10pm (well tried..) and was awake until 4am with the noise of the club and people.
I went down for a burger, and it was reallly good food. The music in there was too loud, if thats what your into its okay.
Overall i wouldnt visit on a business trip for work.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank liverpool8726

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I had heard about the noise from a friend but nothing could prepare me for this experience. Awoken by obscenely loud club music at 2am. Unlike other gusts, reception did not tell me, nor was I given earplugs.

The room itself was functional, though heavily stained stools and dirty bathroom.

I left at 3am due to the noise and opted to sleep on a national express coach.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jmorris14
TheHarley123, Manager at Harley Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We are aware that the noise here can sometimes be a problem for guests, this is why we set expectations at the booking stage by advertising the fact that we have a late bar that is open until 4am. We don't provide earplugs as this is against fire regulations.

Saying this, we apologise for the fact that you didn't get any sleep and that you had to leave us early.

If you would like to email us at: hotel@theharley.co.uk re. 'the dirty bathroom' as we'd like to investigate this complaint more carefully as all rooms are cleaned daily by specialist contract cleaners.

St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

In all my many years of travelling in many countries over 5 continents this place has to take the prize for the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

OK so I read the reviews and realised it was above a pub that went on late so I made sure I had my own late night and retired to bed at 2am. I was surprised that my ear plugs didn't filter out the sound even though I was on the 2nd floor but not a prayer. So by 4am I was thinking the sound would ease off a bit and I walked down the stairs to see if it was wrapping up but I was met with dozens of people coming up the stairs with pint glasses in hand moving the party up to the top floor right above my room. This went on until gone 7am and it seems like just about every other room were having their own party too, with music at what must have been illegal levels at any time of the day blasting from all directions.

Then at about 7.20am there was some noises coming from above of what sounded like a drum kit being set up? All night long people were coming and going up the emergency exit stairs right next to my room and footsteps and conversation could be heard through the wafer thin walls. I actually woke up (from my 10 minutes of sleep!!!) to find I actually had developed bags under my eyes and bloodshot eyes too.

So apart from the horrendous, continual noise: The room was worse than many third world hotels in Bolivia. The bathroom tiles had silicon smeared across the ones that were missing. The door had been hacked to size by what must have been an axe. There was long black hairs all over the bathroom, the toilet took 30 minutes to fill and the ceiling had many patches of mould.

The carpet was stained badly in the sleeping area, the curtains just about covered the window and looked like an old rag. The bed had some board on the wall that if you leant on it during the night you could easily take your eye out.

The wardrobes had half an inch of dust on them and and the walls were full of scrapes, stains and the whole room was reminiscent of a prison. To say the place was a dump is doing a disservice to dumps, at least they are ordered and tidy.

The check in procedure was met with some sullen young lady who just couldn't be bothered. I asked one or two questions about the location of the room, directions to a local stadium and both were met with an attitude as though she really had better things to do than talk to people like me. "Why are you talking to me, who are you?"

If you are of the mind that you want to drink all night and don't mind staying in a hovel then this place is for you.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, it's awful.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 65KMK
TheHarley123, Manager at Harley Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at The Harley Hotel.

Due to the fact it was graduation week last week, we did have a large group of guests who were looking to party. We apologise that this affected your night's sleep.

With regards to the room, although we appreciate that some rooms are in the need of refurbishment, all rooms are cleaned to a high standard daily. Carpets and curtains are currently being replaced throughout the hotel, and decoration is also in process.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is no frills - if you're after something refined, relaxed and a good night's sleep, then this definitely isn't the place for you.

However if you're backpacking and looking for somewhere cheap, or on a weekend away with mates in Sheffield and looking for somewhere convenient - this is the place for you.

Stayed two nights with mates on a stag do, location was ideal at the top end of West Street close to a whole host of bars and clubs. Hotel is just about within walking distance of the station, however bus service takes you up West Street.

Room and washing facilities are basic, however the 'bitten alive by dirty mattresses and bed linen' reviews look grossly exaggerated. We had breakfast included, which was a hearty full English if you wanted, whilst there were also sausage/bacon/egg balms etc,as well as basic toast options if none of that takes your fancy.

When you get in after your night in Sheffield the hotel bar is effectively a club and is open until 4am which attracts guests and non-guests alike.

Overall, cheap, convenient and ideal if you're on a budget. However if you're looking for anything more, this is not for you.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main road and the main entrance to the pub at the front are noisy until 4am at...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
TheHarley123, Manager at Harley Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and hope you will bear us in mind for any future trips to Sheffield you may have.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friend and I booked a twin room as we were going to a concert and wanted something central. The location is great but the hotel leaves much to be desired. The shower was disgusting with black mould covering the tiles. One of the divan beds was broken and carpet was filthy. The ceiling had stained tiles. Due to us just basically sleeping there we just made do. Breakfast was good. On returning home I checked my bank statement and realised the Harley had taken £50 out of my account without authorisation. When I rang them the receptionist said it was a charge for a wet mattress. I was absolutely livid that they can do this without even notifying me of any so called damage. I can categorically deny this was caused by either of us. I have made a formal complaint and am currently seeking legal advice. The contents of the room wasn't worth £50...never mind a mattress.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are disappointed to here you didn't enjoy your stay here, however we would like the chance to respond to a few of the claims you have made.

Firstly, we appreciate that some of the showers do need re-sealing, however, this is not dirt as the showers are cleaned daily.

Thank you for pointing out the broken bed, your feedback means that the bed is now fixed.

With regards to the £50 charge....we clearly state in reception that damages, soilage and missing items must be charged for. The charge is fair (even minimal) due to the fact the mattress needed to be replaced, linen thrown away and the room couldn't be sold the following evening.