“The Harley Experience”

Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Newcastle
“The Harley Experience”
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Staff were pleasant, sheets were clean, towels were clean, that's the only positive things I can say about this hotel! There were five of us staying in three rooms, and we couldn't believe the state of it!!! The shower cubicles in all three rooms were filthy!!! One shower head wouldn't stay on the wall! The walls were filthy, the headboards were stained and slashed! Net curtain ripped and scruffy, the carpets were stained, muck and dust was thick on the headboards, windowsills, kettle, cobwebs and stains on lampshades, etc..Even the shelves inside of the wardrobes were thick with dust!! .The whole place is really in need of rufurbishing, but there is no excuse for lack of cleanliness!! Do they have a cleaner??

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness and state of furnishings
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Margaret55newcastle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fenland
Reviewed 15 October 2007

My girlfriend and I were booked into the hotel by a third party as we were following a band on their UK tour, who were playing at the Arena that night. We arrived early afternoon, given our keys and went up to our double room on the 1st floor at the front. To see ear plugs provided was a sure sign there would be noise at night. The room was very dirty, towels, carpet and bedcover all stained, but worst of all was finding a pair of dirty knickers in the bedside cabinet. My girlfriend was horrified at this and would not stay. The member of staff that was on duty was courteous, is the only positive thing I can say about this place. The photos on the website do not seem representative of what we and our fellow travellers found.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — where do we start!!
  • Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

manchester
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I stayed at the Harley hotel in September of this year. I booked through the hotel's website and got a prompt response.
The hotel itself is pretty basic, but the bed was comfortable and i had everything i needed.

I was a bit apprehensive after hearing about the late bar downstairs, but i stayed on a saturday night and i wasn't bothered by the noise - and sometimes it's a bonus to have a good bar on your doorstep! They even provided earplugs just incase the noise was a problem, which i thought was a nice touch.

The best thing about the Harley was definitely the staff whoi are friendly and very helpfull, and the breakfast, which is included in the price.

I'm sure i will be returning to the Harley on my next visit to Sheffield.

Stayed September 2007
London
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Being from the North of London, I am used to paying around the £30-£35 mark for a decent B&B. Thus, I was a little surprised that the Harley was asking for £42pppn and even more so that they wouldn't give me a discount for an extended (7-night) stay. I booked over the telephone and wasn't really sure what to expect; so colour me disappointed to be confronted with a boarding-school dormitory type room containing only a desk, a single bed and a 12" borderline black&white TV. The en suite bathroom was so awful that it was the first bathroom that I've ever felt dirty inside and even worse leaving! The shower was scummy and the remnants of the guest(s?) before me were still visible- their Imperial Leather shower bottle was lying on the side of the shower! The window was tricky to control and I ended up spending my nights in a stuffy and cramped room. There is no Internet access available in the rooms- so one has to either spend their time at the (noisy) downstairs bar to surf the web or sit in the "reception area" which consists of one bench by the Porters' cabin.
The breakfast was barely palatable and the staff was luke-warm.
It was all so unbearable that I found myself having to leave after the second night and moving on. The funny thing is that the hotel I moved on to is £7 cheaper per night (they even gave me a discount for my 5 night stay!!!) and miles better- I'm writing this review from my comfy Queen-sized bed and enjoying its inclusive WiFi Internet.
All in all, I'd say about the Harley:
On the positive side, the room (3rd floor) was rather quiet considering that it is relatively small and is a hotel/bar.
On the negative side is.. well everything else.
I really couldn't recommend this hotel and wish I'd read a review like the one I've just written before parting with my £84!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank starslilies
Reviewed 23 July 2006

Came here with a large group for a friend's hen weekend and stayed the Saturday night. Knew it was a budget hotel- paid just over £30 for b&b so wasn't expecting too much.

We were lucky and managed to park right outside the hotel (you have to pay for the daytime but it's only a few quid) but you may well need to look for an alternative if you're driving.

My single room was much like a study bedroom in a hall of residence, a bit battered round the edges but nice enough. However, the cleaning could have been better (found the last person's soap in the shower), no teabags or hairdryer were provided, there was no way of getting the window open (to be fair, I was on the first floor), and the shower temperature dial appeared to be broken so it was stuck on cold. On the Saturday evening, I wished I'd had a shower at Spa 1877, a lovely place where we'd spent the afternoon- didnt cos it was throwing it down with rain outside and didnt want to spoil my new cleanliness... mistake, it was like being back in the plunge pool. BUT- the bed was the best part of the room, it was comfy and looked clean, which was the main thing. And the morning after, a cold shower wasn't the worst thing in the world.

There is a late night bar on the ground floor with DJ- and bouncers- so keep your key with you as you'll need to show it to get back in, and the atmosphere is great if you're out on the lash. It wasn't even too noisy when I went to bed. Tip however, if you have been drinking, borrow a glass from the bar for your late night water, as they only provide you with a little teacup in the room.

Breakfast wasn't great, I have to say- it runs between 9 and 10.30 at the weekends and even though we were down before 10 they had already run out of a lot of the items on the menu. Also be warned, you can't have much if you dont have the fry-up- it's only two items eg cereal or toast- assuming they've got what you ask for- if you like a piece of fruit as well. The service was slow with only one poor lad having to deal with all the diners. But it evoked nostalgia in that it was a bit like dining in a college canteen, and I understand the cafe is indeed popular with students.

Generally the staff- what we saw of them- were nice enough.

Overall- this is a great and atmospheric place to stay if you are here for a night out on the town, or if you are a traveller on a budget who isn't remotely fussed about luxury or snappy service. If you're expecting more, look somewhere else.

• Liked — The late night bar- and it's dead cheap
  • Disliked — Freezing cold shower and poor breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — Borrow a glass from the bar for your late night water as they don't give you one in the room
  • Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Jay1979
London, UK
Reviewed 19 April 2006

Stayed recently whilst visiting our daughter at university. Excellent location, helpful staff, decent sized rooms, think they're in the process of refurbishing as one room was much more upto date. Bar downstairs was open late with loud music however this couldnt be heard from the 2nd floor. Full English breakfast and freshly ground coffee included in the price made an excellent start to the day. At £52 per night we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2006