“If you like sleep do not stay here”
Review of Harley Hotel

Harley Hotel
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Filey, United Kingdom
“If you like sleep do not stay here”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was booked for us in order to attend a wedding so it cost us nowt. Thank goodness for that.
All rooms over a bar open until 4am. Music and students is the name of the game. We stayed on 2nd floor room 44 and coyld still hear the racket.
The room was very basic and worn out. Windows and window frames ibaide and out were filthy. Stains on carpets and lampshades and curtains.
Bedding and towels wwre clean but my wife sustained some bites!
Breakfast was awesome and the staff were very friendly but certainly not a place we will ever stay in again

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JohnCasey29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Birmingham
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I had a one night stay on a Saturday and was lucky to get a second floor room because it was rather noisy down in the bar. Couldn't imagine how guests on the first floor got to sleep. The rooms are fairly basic and just what I was looking for.

Breakfast was good (classic full English) and the staff were friendly. If I had one gripe it was the fact I was turned away by the receptionist at 2:30pm because she said check in was open after 3pm. Thought nothing of it until I had checked out and saw quite clearly on my confirmation that check in was fine from 2pm onwards. That did put me out a bit as I wanted to drop my bag and check out the town, not lug it around for another 30mins.

Cest la vie - guess at £44 I got what I paid for.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TheGreatFlyingKiwi
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Ok so I booked on an impulse and thought myself and my partner would enjoy the music and seeing as neither of us are too old (under 30) that we could join in with the best of them nav party till the early hours!! So with the motto of "who needs sleep!" reiterated to my other half many times we set off for sheffield! When we pulled up we thought "hmmm interesting"! I got dropped off with the bags and my other half went off to brave sheffields one way system and find a place to park. I went in to check in. I walked into the bar and was directed to the reception hatch to be met by a sullen monosyllabic receptionist who was more interested in the computer than me. I paid for the room and was given a key. "I know you requested a quiet room, but there aren't any and it's very noisy tonight" was what I was told. Ok so I knew that already and was hoping it couldn't be that bad surely. I went up to the room with no instructions how to find my room as the receptionist just turned away from me as soon as she handed my receipt! I found my room on the first floor and unlocked the door. Definitely basic which is fine, it's a budget place. But I laid on the bed and fell in a hole in the mattress near the pillows! I then sat and heard how noisy just road noise was through the window and thought "stuff this maybe I can't stomach being awake till 4am when I've been working all week" so I left. It just so much to be desired! I accept that i should have heeded the warnings but honestly thought it couldn't be that bad!!! It's not great and I would not recommend in unless you are a broke student ready to party and I'm glad I didn't stick around to find out how loud it gets!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Smiffy_redkite

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Although the Harley website says beware of the noise, it doesn't quite make clear just how noisy it is - the Harley is a bonkers combination of a music venue and a hotel, and the two don't really go together. Do check first what music is playing the night you are planning to stay. They have a very late licence, and the music doesn't stop till 4 am. Followed by the clientele turning out on to the street to go home. Even on the 2nd floor, with earplugs, you will not sleep. Great location for the university. Tired and a bit grubby. Nice breakfast in the bar in the morning, and pleasant staff, but don't stay here if you need to sleep before 4 in the morning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Please read the reviews before staying here and set your expectations accordingly. This is cheap accommodation which makes no secret of the fact that it is noisy. I was well aware of this before booking. Our rooms were directly over the club so the sound was vibrating through until 4am but I knew this was going to be the case so no issues there and this was absolutely fine for our Stag Party. It met our needs very well indeed.

The rooms are a bit the worse for wear but they were clean and I found the bed comfortable.

The location is great, there's a tram stop right across the road and a Sainsbury's next door plus plenty of pubs and bars very close by.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful and the included breakfast was very good and available to late into the morning.

If I go back to Sheffield for a party weekend then I would happily stay here again. For a quiet weekend away? Probably not.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the second floor to at least mitigate the noise a little.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MulchyG
Huddersfield
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Booked it on late rooms- cost double room £31- yes it was basic but clean. The bar downstairs is very lively with Sheffields finest student shinanigans till 0400hrs, and the hotel/bar is near a busy junction so be cautious if a good night sleep is what your after- if you like live bands and DJ's then this is it. Close to west street busy bars and restraunts Harley does fabulous burgers at reasonable price- and breakfast for a fiver aint to be sniffed at - exceeded my expectations and would visit again

Room Tip: second floor is a bit quieter, but the rooms at the apex have the best view of sheffield shinanigans
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Late night debauchery - every night - which is great for students living in the area - and good that someone provides this service!

I stayed at The Harley with my husband.
The hotel is central to the university area of Sheffield which is where we wanted to be.

Student parties take place each night - but they do end at 4 am.
Actually, anyone staying at The Harley is made aware that party noise travels to guest rooms. This was not a problem for us as we sometimes sleep with the tv on - and did so at The Harley.
However, I couldn't cope with more than one night.

Our room was very large and overlooked interesting streets of Sheffield but the bathroom was very small and hopeless for doing the evening girly makeup etc.

Best about The Harley is the big breakfast which is available till 11:30.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple