Open today: 12:00 - 23:00
Review Highlights
Good Venue

Good venue to meet and drink with friends. Outside area with a tv on the pubs wall is great for a... read more

Reviewed 16 July 2019
tojo11
Sheffield, United Kingdom
via mobile
Drink and a chat

Got there early ordered drinks and left 1 behind the bar for when Sue had arrived, went to bar and... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 21 June 2019
davebS7239BB
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Sheffield
from US$62.61
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

We called in for a couple of pints & all seemed OK other than some very screechy women doing the pub quiz (which we weren't). However at the end of the evening the landlady was quite rude when it came to drinking up time & made us feel very unwelcome. We had finished our drinks so that wasn't an issue, we were getting ready to leave & she made several rude comments about people getting out, to the point where I ended up saying something (unlike me!) We'll vote with our feet in future & stick to the Greystones which is actually our local & is much friendlier.

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed 21 January 2016

"The Banner" has been my local for twenty six years. I have spent many pounds and many nights there, supping gallons of Tetley's bitter. In recent years the pub became less and less busy and there were nights in 2015 when you could count the number of customers on one hand. These are hard times for the traditional pub trade and I feared that "The Banner" would be resigned to history like so many other South Yorkshire pubs that have closed their doors forever.

At the start of this month - January 2016 - the pub did indeed close down but not forever - simply for a much needed major refurbishment. It is reopening tonight following feverish activity to upgrade it. I have looked through the windows and it looks brilliant - apart perhaps for the dominating presence of new television screens. (I can watch telly at home thank you very much!)

The new landlord and landlady - Dave and Julie are hard-working licensees who have a fine record in the pub trade. They are just the right people to breathe new life into "The Banner" and to make it once again a welcoming social hub for the local community.

Like all other regulars, I wish the relaunched "Banner" every success in the future. Local communities need their pubs and when pubs fall by the wayside communities suffer. Up "The Banner"! We're all Hull aren't we?

Date of experience: January 2016
1  Thank Neil_in_Sheffield_UK
Reviewed 16 December 2015

Called in to meet the new owners as they my friends friends, only had one drink as the place will be undergoing a massive refit soon, we also met other family there for a pre christmas drink, but will look forward to revisit after the refit

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed 25 August 2015

very impressive afternoon with fellow owls supporters and what a class day it was with quality bar staff n beer, cheers roger !!

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed 8 April 2015 via mobile

Traditional local community pub. Decent variety of cask ales on, with friendly and attentive staff. Standard prices for the area.