“First class in every way”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Auckland/London
“First class in every way”
Reviewed 28 April 2011

One of the best boutique hotels I've stayed in. Wonderful service, beautiful rooms, great location in the middle of Sheffield, seemed like spectacular value for what I paid (last minute rates). Very helpful and professional front desk staff helped me print out train timetables and information for some country walks/hikes that I did in the Peak District in between attending my conference. Possibly the only minor thing was a limp, bland Caesar salad from room service that I ordered (which actually just shows that I'm struggling for something bad to say).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear e1ijah
Thank you for posting your comments on your recent stay with us at the hotel. I was delighted to see that you had a great stay with us and indeed in the Sheffield area and we very much appreciate your kind words. I note your point on your salad (its a Greek Salad on the menu) but I will bring it up with our team.
Once again thank you for your comments and we do hope to welcome you back again soon to the Leopold Hotel
Michael Skehan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed at The Leopold Hotel whilst in Sheffield to see a concert at The City Hall , so booked this purely on location and what a great choice it was .
Room was clean , modern and more than big enough for a weekend away . Staff were very helpful , nothing too much trouble and the location was perfect . We enjoyed a really nice bottle of wine in the bar and It's the first hotel we have been in where we have been able to sample wine before we bought a bottle , and the Barman was very patient with us as we ran him up and down the cellar stairs for diffrent ones to try ! Lovely end to a great night in Sheffield , which has some great places to eat and the City Hall is a nice change to the large concert venues .
Our only complaint was not the hotels fault , someone was smoking in their room at 4.30am and set off the fire alarm . All handled very well and you had to see the funny side of the shocked looking people in their PJ's gathered in Leopold Square!
Enjoyed Sheffield and The Leopold so much we have booked again for July - very competetive prices

1 Thank Tedburrow
General_Manager80, Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Dear Tedburrow

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay both in the hotel and in Sheffield. I appreciate your understanding in the matter of the issue of the guest smoking that caused the alarm to go off. We look forward to your return to us in the near future and welcoming you back.
MichaeL Skehan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

This hotel promises much. It has a good central position and interesting architecture. Unfortunately our experience staying there is not one we would ever want to repeat. We arrived in reception at about 5.00pm on a Saturday. Other customers were waiting to check in and there was not a single person on reception. After a few minutes someone arrived and we were checked in but no help with bags was ever offered. I had selected a large room which I suspect was a big mistake. It was at the front of the hotel facing a busy street. The large (two storey) windows had secondary glazing but they were absolutely hopeless at keeping the noise to a tolerable level. It was not until 5.30am that the buses, loud-cars, sirens and people in the street faded away allowing us to get a couple of hours sleep. Our room was also on two levels (a mezzanine suite) so that in order to visit the bathroom in the night you had to climb down a dangerous spiral staircase. Its difficult to imagine why anyone would chose to stay in a hotel where the bathroom is on a different floor!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LMDBristol
Dear LMDBristol

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. I was disappointed to read you didnt get a good nights sleep. We are located in the city centre of Sheffield and as is the case in most large cities there will always be traffic and noise but i apologise if this inconvenienced you. You did choose a mezzanine suite and as the name suggests they are on 2 levels. Most guests enjoy the additional space and the fact that they are unusual rooms for a hotel. We have several different room types to suit all tastes and i am sure should you decide to return to us that we can accomodate you in a quieter location in one of our other superb rooms.
Once again thank you for you for your comments

Rolleston-on-Dove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Staying with a group of friends this hotel looks as though it would promise a great stay as part of the "Small Luxury Hotels" group. On the surface it nearly lived up to the promise, all those little extras that make your stay extra enjoyable - a robe in the bedroom, quality fittings and fancy bathroom products etc - were there. It was the little things that didn't deliver luxury - slow service in the bar at lunch, a room service tray that was outside my room until after 9pm (after checking in at 2:30pm). My biggest complaint has to be the quality of breakfast, really cheap orange juice, poor looking pastries and cooked breakfast. I made the biggest mistake of my stay by ordering smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - slimy, chemical and inedible. As a buffet breakfast nobody came to check if the dish was satisfactory so the whole plate was left. Certainly not worth the £10.95 - there are plenty of other options available if you step outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't eat here
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Neets79
Dear Neets79

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was dissappointed to read your comments on some of your experiences, I can assure you that I fully take on board your points and have made changes to our breakfast offering and also initiated additional staff training to ensure it does not happen again.
Once again thank you for your commenst and we do hopr to see you back again in the near future
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2011

The hotel is only three years old but looks tatty already. The reception check in took ages because there was only one person and she was slow, the room was small and stuffy (it was a two floor suit as well!), the barman took ages to serve us as he needed to unlock the drinks cabinets first, and he would only allow payment on the room, so I had to pay for my friends round of drinks and the breakfast was poor (over cooked bacon, hard sausages and uninspiring fruit salad (slices of pineapple, a full apple and a full pear)). To be totally honest, we were glad to leave.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
General_Manager80, Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Dear Andybrown999

Thank you for your review of the Leopold Hotel. I was dissappointed to read your comments on your stay with us. I apologise if check in took too long for you, as you can appreciate if lots of people arrive at the same time we can only deal with what we can, we do normally have 2 receptionist on at all times. I was surprised about the comments in relation to the suites - because they are on 2 floors, normally people love the space. Due to building regulations and it being a listed building the windows cannot be opened, that is why all rooms have air con in them. I will certainly look into and rectify your points on breakfast straight away and thank you for pointing them out to me. I do hope you would consider coming back to us when i know you will experience our normal levels of guest care. Kind Regards Michael Skehan Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We booked with Octopus Travel through Trip Advisor for 2 nights. Got confirmation email and money taken from our account.

However, when we arrived at the hotel they had no record of our booking and could only accomodate us for one night. I should say now that this was entirely the fault of Octopus Travel and the hotel staff - SueMarie and Kyle- were completely fantastic in every way and went out of their way to resolve the problem which was not their fault. I was really impressed. Octopus Travel were useless- their call centre is based in the USA and the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. It was left to the Leopold staff to find us another room for the second night.

The hotel itself was very convenient (although we were woken at 8am by some builders outside - not the hotel's fault), stylish rooms ( quite small) but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent too.

So I would definitely recommend the hotel but make sure you book direct and not with Octopus Travel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Dear 4MR

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us at the Leopold Hotel Sheffield. I am was sorry to learn of the difficulties you had with your booking, I was made aware of what happened by Sue Marie and I was delighted that the team were able to help you in sorting out your accomodation for the weekend. I do hope it didnt detract from your weekend in Sheffield.
I appreciate your kind words on the team and especially Kyle and Sue Marie and the help they afforded you. I am sure it must have been very distressing.
I certainly do hope you would return to us in the future and its often best to book direct with the hotel as it gives you piece of mind that your reservation is 100% confirmed. Once again many thanks for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Leopold in the future.
England
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Stayed in the hotel with my wife for an event in the City Hall. The location is central and very very convenient. There are a number of really nice restaurants to choose from just behind the hotel. It is literally 30 seconds walk from the hotel. The room we had was quiet which was surprising given the central location. Everything in the hotel (including room) has a quality feel to it. The staff are very friendly and efficient. We will definitely return on our next visit to Sheffield. It was a gem of a find and the price was great too. 5*s from us. Very highly recommended.

1 Thank AndrewFromEngland
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Dear Andrewfromengland

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to see that you had a great stay at the Leopold. Our location is ideal for a city break as you have all the amenities of the city on your doorstep especially the wonderful Leopold Square and all the choices of Restaurant and Bars. I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and staff and we do hope to welcome you back soon to the Leopold Hotel.