“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Manchester
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I stayed here as part of a group of girls and had a great time. I was upgraded to one of the mezzanine suites which was very spacious and modern decoration. We had afternoon tea there which was lovely! The only downside is the car park which is a good 5-10 minute walk from the hotel which in the rain is too long! The other would be that breakfast wasnt included in the standard price and with this plus the car park price totalled an extra £15. Definitely a great place to go if your staying in Sheffield and want a modern hotel with great location.

• Stayed June 2012
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Callaway3
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the hotel. I was delighted to see that overall you had a great stay. The carpark unfortunately is not on site, the one we recommend is the closest available one with 24 hour access. I do think the cost at £7 for 24 hours is very reasonable indeed compared to charges at some hotels and in some other cities. Our Best available room rates do not include breakfast ( standard in most hotels) and at £ 8.95 for full English again is considerably less than most hotels.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and certainly do hope to welcome you back soon to the Hotel.
Michael Skehan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We had a four night stay here for a friends wedding in May - where to begin!
For nearly £100 a night I would expect parking, decent breakfast and sleep - gone none

Lets begin!
1. Arrived late to find two drunk night porters on duty - one who really had too much to drink to explain where to park
2. What is not clear on the website is there is no parking - you have to drive to a nearby NCP and then pay for the priviledge
3. Room not bad, but freezing cold, cracked tiles in bathroom and the water in the shower was tepid at best (and leaked)
4. Breakfast is a disgrace - for a start you have to pay extra for a full english (which is really not worth the money). The 'continental' is a selection of really poor tinned fruit and bagels cut in half (but no where to toast them). Service at breakfast was really random, sometimes enough coffee and toast to feed an army, other times not enough for 1
5. We got a paper every morning despite not asking for one
6. Do not drink the wine in the bar - overpriced cheap plonk

All of this may seem a small grumbles - however on the Friday, Sat and Sun there were weddings at the hotel. This hotel is too SMALL to have a really loud wedding and too also accomadate guests. We were in a room above the dance floor and the objects in the room were literally vibrating till 12.30 am each night. Tip to the Leopold - put the guests from the wedding above the dance floor and other guests further up - is this not common sense. About 20 people from our wedding staying at the Leopold and all had their own horror stories about bookings, including 2 couples who had to stay elsewhere (lucky them) has they had no record of their bookings.

The building is fantastic and the staff (when sober) are generally very helpful. But this place has to pull its socks up and sort things out - espically when having weddings at the weekend.

The whole thing is summerisied by a e-mail I got from them when we returned - it was from the manager and was apologising for a long list of complaints and offering a return visit discount. Nice touch you think? however this e-mail was clearly not from me and the complaints were about bright lights and room too cold for our children (we have none) - they cannot even apologise correctly!

Take my advice and stay somewhere else where you can park, have a decent breakfast and above all some sleep!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 5th floor and away from dance floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Dowlima1
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I always take all reasonable comments from our guests seriously and act upon them. I am not sure why you would not have brought your serious comments about our night team to my or any of my teams attention before now. Should you wish to discuss further please contact me at the Hotel
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 16 June 2012

First time in Sheffield and decided to drive. Sat nav took me 15 miles away so by time finally arrived at hotel after enduring the one way system I was hoping it was worth the effort. Parked in front of hotel where an army of traffic wardens standing by. Nice chap said it was okay to park as unloading bay. A member of staff a young gentleman was excellent. He immediately welcomed me to the hotel with a wonderful smile, got my bags from the car and drove with me to the car park (not as close as I thought it was) to park the car. On the way back he gave me a history of the hotel and places for me to visit if I had time. This was someone who clearly enjoyed his job. There were a beautiful bouquet of flowers by the reception but unfortunately this set me sneezing and coughing (think the lilies did that). He immediately dashed off to get a cup of water from the bar. I was carrying my computer which fell on my foot and once again the gentleman helped me pick it up and make sure I was okay. He then took my bags to my room on the 4th floor which was quiet (exactly what i wanted) and I immediately noted that the bathroom had very nice toiletries and the bed had fluffy peoples which I loved. I was to go to a dinner event at Cutler's Hall but horror of horrors, my foot began to swell. No trouble for the hotel as out came the ice packs and I was once again made extremely comfortable. Nothing was too much for any of the staff. Loved the large flatscreen tv and the fact that wifi is free
The bed/pillows were very comfortable with high quality linen and had a pleasant restful night.
Pressure of the shower could be a bit better and I had no idea how to shift the plug in the sink hole so ended up brushing teeth in bath.
Breakfast was cooked to order and all the staff were wonderful making sure everything was to my liking. There was a nice spread of juices, cereals, bread and fruits but I sat through my meal watching staff who all clearly enjoyed their work.
Back to reception to check out, more excellent staff with genuine smiles and eager to help. Off I went to my conference feeling that I had just experienced one of the best hotel stays. Forgot to get a tab for my luggage but as soon as I got back to hotel, I was nicely welcomed and my luggage was retrieved all well looked after. I will definitely highly recommend this hotel with its history, charming courtyard with lots of eating places and right in the city centre (but a bit of walk to the car park but no problem as accompanied) and most of all the staff who make you feel very special.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Dear heart01

Many thanks for your very kind words and review following your recent stay with us. I was particuarly pleased to se eyour comments on the team and how well they looked after you, Scott on reception in particular was the one that looked after you on arrival. Your feedback is very much appreciated by all of us and we look forward to your next stay with us.

newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was my first visit to Sheffield and from the train station it was easy to find by the hotel websites directions,i booked online with the hotel and got a good weekend deal. I emailed the hotel prior to travel requesting a room overlooking the square,as other reviewers seemed to recommend these rooms,i didnt get my request or a reply but i still got a lovely room on the 4th floor,that was full of character,and very quiet considering a road was outside.I received a warm greeting from reception,and was shown to the lift,my room,number 176, had two windows(that didnt open)and beautiful industrial beams and a high ceiling,contemporary bedding on a bed that was the most comfortable that ive ever slept in,and a modern bathroom.It wasnt a large room but the high ceiling made it feel larger.I received a call from reception asking if everything was ok with my room-a nice touch. The hotel staff are all very friendly,from reception to the room attendants,and theres a lovely light and airy bar overlooking the square with a terrace.The Square has the usual city restauarants like Zizzi and Wagamama,with outdoor seating in lovely surroundings,its very busy on a night time.I didnt use the hotel restaurant as i was sightseeing so enjoyed the cities coffee shops and restauarants,i was very impressed by Sheffield by its mix of styles and spent a sunny afternoon at Victoria Quays canal basin.I will return to this hotel as i loved the character,history and contemporary style and overall friendliness.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room overlooking the square
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear newccentral
Thank you for your review and comments following our recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was delighted to see that you had a great stay and enjoyed all that our wonderful city of Sheffield has to offer. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
UK
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We booked this hotel for 2 nights at the very last minute following a fall through of an intended booking in Derby. We got an excellent rate and upgraded to a suite. The hotel is full of charm and has an interesting history and layout which puts it just the right side of being a little quirky and an antidote to the soulless conveyor belt rooms and product offered by the big hotel chains. The most impressive thing about the hotel is the staff. Nothing is too much trouble and a not so often seen these days kind of customer service is provided. The suites have a strange configuration where you go upstairs to the sleeping area on a mezzanine floor. OK in itself but the space downstairs suffers and is not so easily useable or comfortable. Having said that, the beds are huge, with top quality linens and pillows and are very, very comfortable. The bathroom is also very nice and top quality toiletries and other accoutrements are provided. The only downside is the water pressure could be better. Suites also come with 2 huge flat screen tvs and free wired internet and free in room movies.
An example of the exemplary standard of service is that we had a problem where we couldn't get COLD water (yes, I know, it is usually the other way around!). The duty manager himself came and the first thing he did was to bring 2 large bottles of mineral water so we could make a drink whilst he fixed the problem.
Breakfast is normally cooked to order unless they are very busy when a buffet affair is provided. This is far from ideal and happened on our second day - it was a little hit and miss. But the food is of a high standard and the staff so charming that you tend to overlook these small foibles. Special mention at breakfast must go to Helen for whom nothing, and I mean nothing, was too much trouble. Even at the busiest times she maintained her charming, smiling countenance and ran the show very well.
In conclusion, the hotel is not perfect (the car park is a bit of a trek away) but already has a place in our hearts as somewhere we would not hesitate to either recommend or return to. The warmth from the staff and the service really is that good..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear SueandBrent
Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us at the Hotel. i was delighted to read you had a great stay and very much appreciate your feedback. I especially appreciate your comments on the team and how you were looked after, Helen in particular. It is always nice to hear such commnents and have team members mentioned.
Once again thank you for your comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

after a terrible night in another hotel we decided to check into the leopold hotel, we just turned up and hoped for the best, on arrival we were greeted by a very nice lady who went above and beyond,even giving us a discount off the price we saw online before hand, we stayed in one of the suites, we were escorted to our room and shown around to make sure we liked it, it was amazing, there was a huge hallway into a living area with sofa, table and chairs, flat screen t.v, it was beautifully decorated even the bathroom was stunning, one the second floor (yes there is 2 floors) there was a kingsize bed with beautiful bedding and lovely scatter cusions, a huge wardrobe, another flatscreen t.v and balcony overlooking the living area. we felt comfy right away. in the morning we had breakfast served to us in the room witch i thought was lovely. we will definitely stay again soon hopefully :-)

Room Tip: even though suites are slightly more expensive they are well worth the money
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear sunnysteph
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Loepold Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites and that the team looked after you so well. I do hope you will return to us again soon for a longer break.

Lahti
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed here for three nights at the end of May 2012 and loved every minute. Now, I've stayed at a couple of posh and posh-ish four and five star places before, but I've never received such excellent service, and that makes this hotel stand head and shoulders above the rest. The staff would go out of their way to offer you help and treats and assistance, and really made the effort to make you feel pampered and comfortable from the moment you arrived to the moment you left. The beds were absolutely luxurious, the pillows to die for, the room heating/aircon system was wonderful and again, the service was excellent. Some reviewers have complained about the breakfast room and the waiting times, but why go down when they'll bring the breakfast up without an extra charge? I immediately took advantage of the offer. The staff were also accommodating when it came to my food intolerances and my bad back, so I was given a lovely room with plenty of space to move about and could easily get a burger without a bun and breakfast without bread and so on, with no problems whatsoever. The gentlemen at the reception were very friendly and the shy blonde waitress who'd only been there for a couple of weeks was utterly adorable and just so incredibly helpful.

The only slight problem was the noise coming in from the bars on the square over the weekend--a jazz gig, I think. But since that was during the day, it wasn't as intrusive as it would've been at night--and I'm glad I packed my earplugs. But that was only a minor problem and nothing to do with the hotel itself. The only other minus I can think of was the stairs you had to climb up to get to reception, which were a bit of a challenge, but again, not a biggie. The hotel was perfectly situated, near a nice selection of restaurants, pubs, shops and the Crucible Theatre. I didn't feel like I had to walk long distances to get food and drink and some essentials (there's a M&S nearby), or a night out at the theatre. Although I'd advise against eating at any of the restaurants at the Square--they were rather noisy and uncomfortable, especially the horrid Platillo's. The pub opposite the main entrance and the Crucible Corner restaurant were much better when it came to basic, nice, affordable meals and drinks.

I was looking for a pampering holiday and I definitely got it--I would recommend this to anyone who wants a luxury break and/or a bit of romance. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer. If I'm ever coming back to Sheffield again, this is definitely the hotel I'm going to stay at and I'm going to stay as many nights as my wallet allows! This place was absolute heaven. Five stars to the amazing staff--you made my holiday perfect and I look forward to staying at the Leopold again as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for good rooms beforehand--they are very flexible and are sure to get you the sort of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Snowgrouse

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable stay with us and we certainly do hop ethat next time you get to stay a bit longer.