“Nice hotel but didn't quite live up to expectations”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had been intending to stay at this hotel for sometime having heard good reports about it and finally got around to it recently for a weekend stay. It is in a very central location in the city centre which means a bit of a walk from the car park that they have an arrangement with but this is too be expected. The building itself is impressive, being a former Technical College and has retained a lot of original features which is very nice and makes a pleasant change from the usual identikit chain hotels.

The check-in was efficient and the staff were welcoming and friendly. Our bedroom was on the 4th floor and was a good size, nicely decorated with high ceilings. For some reason though the TV was mounted on the wall so high up you could only watch it by laying on the bed!! This seemed odd given that there was sufficient wall space elsewhere in the room where it could have gone at a more sensible height. The bed was comfortable and double glazing kept out the traffic noise. There was a strange chemical smell present in the room when you first entered which was odd and which I couldn't quite identify but didn't give a great first impression.

The bathroom was good but the shower was poor - in such a newly renovated room I would expect a power or rain shower and shower curtains are always unpleasant - a screen is a much better idea.

When we returned from an evening out we were surprised to be told that we were unable to pay with cash for drinks at the bar and that they had to be charged to our room. I have never encountered this before in any hotel and thought it most odd!

Breakfast was served in the small restaurant on the lower ground floor. I was glad the hotel wasn't too busy as I suspect it would be problematical if it was given the small entrance door and the staff had to go past the buffet to get to and from the kitchen. The continental selection was OK, nothing special and not really what I expected - poor fruit selection (skin left on kiwi fruit slices, unripe melon) and slightly unpleasant yoghurts. I would expect a 'luxury' hotel to do something a bit more special. The hot food was much better - cooked to order and all of good quality (apart from the baked beans). Similarly toast was also made to order which is a vast improvement on the "toast it yourself" approach most hotels use these days. Another annoyance was that when the tea was brought the waiter poured it straight into my cup so without any consideration as to how strong I like my tea or whether or not I wanted milk in first!!

On checkout the hotel had charged me a £7 "reduced fee" for car parking overnight. However, when I reached the car park I discovered that as it was a Sunday I could have parked overnight for £3!!

This hotel is marketed as part of 'Small Luxury Hotels of the World' and whilst it is a cut above the usual chain hotel it falls down on a number of small areas which don't make it quite 'luxury' and so, on balance, I was a bit disappointed with my stay given the price I paid compared to other hotels in Sheffield city centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review and comments following your stay with us. I have noted all your helpful points. Just to clarify the car parking the £3 charge you saw was for daytime use only, had you left your car in the carpark and not availed of our rate it would have cost you £8.
I do hope we get to welcome you back again

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed in Sheffield and arrived on a Saturday afternoon, not knowing that this is premier wedding venue. The helpful receptionist let us see a couple of suites before deciding on one and she assured us that the wedding guests would not interfere with our stay and we would not hear any noise from the wedding reception. We didn't. The room was perfectly peaceful, with an exceptionally comfortable bed and super (new) bathroom, towels were of an obviously good quality as was the bed linen. The receptionist also recommended a restaurant closeby which was absolutely fabulous.

We had breakfast in our room which was hot ( something most hotels cannot achieve)

We therefore had a most enjoyable stay and the Leopold Hotel and would recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in the centre of Sheffield

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you had a great stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Leopold for 1 night in October as we had VIP tickets for the city hall to see M People. The room was very spacious and the bed was huge and comfy. would recommend to anyone wanting a central hotel in the city centre. Or room was on the lower ground floor with access to a small courtyard with tables and chairs. The bathroom was also a good size and very boutique with lovely toiletries.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Regards

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived just before 3, but it didn't matter as our bags were in our room waiting for us when we arrived back later in the evening.
The hotel is in a great location and there are lots of shops, restaurants and bars nearby.
I had booked a twin room as had planned a spa visit with a friend, but due to illness my fiancee came along instead. As expected, there was not a double room available for a swap - but it was a Saturday night!
I liked the room, it was clean and there was lots of space. The beds were very comfortable, and I had a fantastic nights sleep.
Breakfast was lovely and the staff were very helpful.
I'm sure I will see if they have a room available when I next visit Sheffield.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

We booked here as we had VIP tickets for MPeople at the city hall . the traffic in Sheffield was horrendous and we got lost ! We rang the hotel and a guy called Matt talked us thru until we arrived outside ! He then directed us to the car park and took our luggage in for us !! Lovely room too ! Thanks again x

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had a great stay and that the team looked after you so well.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here when going out in Sheffield City Centre, the location was excellent. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Sadly we weren't there long enough to sample to rest of the hotels facilities or breakfast, however everything we did sample was more than adequate. Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. Would stay again

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stylish hotel with friendly staff, right in the heart of the city with shops, bars, restaurants all on your door step. Lower Ground floor rooms have access to courtyard, handy if you're a smoker. Nice breakfast too.

Room Tip: Lower Ground have access to courtyard, handy for smokers