“Stylish hotel”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Stylish hotel”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

the Leopold hotel is situated in the centre of Sheffield, I stayed there for two nights, my romm was comfortable and clean. breakfast was to a good standard and the staff were frienly and helpful.
As the hotel is in the city centre it does not have it own car park but uses a multistory car park about 250 yards down the road, this is a very secure car park and can be used with confidence at any time of day.
The hotel is close to a varries selection of resturants, pubs and clubs.
If you want to stay in the city centre then this is the hotel for you

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review us following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Michael Skehan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Nicely located hotel, with some great original features, high ceilings, exposed brick and lots of old black and white photos on the walls are a really nice touch. The communal areas of the hotel including reception are stylish and the check in/out process was friendly quick and efficient.
The room itself was large with a huge comfy bed and stylish bathroom.
Only negative really was the breakfast. All cooked to order so expected to wait but it seemed to take an age, and would have expected to have a lovely soft poached egg at the end of a wait like that, didn't get one, although my husband somehow did. Perhaps I was just unlucky. The order was also incorrect when it arrived but we were hungry by this point after the wait. The bacon seemed rushed like it had just been shown to a frying pan and was very greasy and bright pink with rubbery fat like it had been barely cooked. A 10p sized piece of butter is not enough to butter 3 slices of toast by the way and when we asked for more we got another piece of the same. I know I need to diet but still is it war-time? For a hotel labelling itself as boutique and with a price tag to match the devil should really be in the detail, and I don't feel the breakfast matched my overall impressions of the rest of the hotel, which would have had a 4* review otherwise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and valued feedback following your stay with us recently. The team and I will certainly use this to improve the service we offer our guests.
I do hope that we get to welcome you back again soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have visited this hotel many times and LOVED every occasion. I have to admit I don't frequent the restaurant, although I hear the food is fantastic, you can see a number of classy wine bars and restaurants seconds away. It is easy to walk to from the station and if you need to leave early you jump out of your insanely clean room, say goodbye to the friendly, professional staff and grab a delicious breakfast (or a cheeky starbucks) on the way to the station...Clubbing, business, romance...any excuse!!

Room Tip: Any - we have stayed in lots and they are all fantastic - facilites - tea, coffee, internet, bath, D...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and kind words following your most recent stay with us. I am delighted that you once again had a great stay and we very much look froward to welcoming you back soon to the Leopold Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night, it didn't disappoint. My room was large and clean and had everything I needed for a pleasant stay. There was a good choice at breakfast and I was offered tea/coffee/toast as soon as I was shown to my seat. The staff were really friendly and helpful and are a great asset to the hotel, they even walk you to the lift once you've checked in and make sure you know which floor to go to. The hotel is less than 10 minutes walk from the train station and it is right in the city centre so there are plenty of bars and restaurants around. I was on the 5th floor and I could hear a lot of noise from the street, however, the hotel is huge and 2 of my colleagues who stayed on other floors didn't have any problems so perhaps I was just unlucky to have a room on the noisy side!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sheffield
Cheltenham
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed at the Leopold for one night on Business and having stayed before and been very happy I was looking forward to it and wasn't disappointed. A group of 6 of us stayed for the night and all of us had fabulous rooms. The Check was quick and easy and the reception staff made us all feel very welcome and despite all of us booking separately the staff did their utmost to get us all rooms fairly close together on the 4th Floor. The room was very clean and given the history of the building each room is slightly quirky with secondary glassing to keep the tram noise to a minimum. Bed was wonderfully comfortable with a verity of pillows to suit anyone. Bar Staff were really good and when a friend twisted her ankle outside the building they could not have been more sympathetic providing lots of ice and bandages. Breakfast is cooked to order and very good, served very quickly. Check Out was very efficient. Hotel is located very close to the city centre and there are a wide verity of bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. Parking is a 10 mins walk away as is the train station. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room as far away from the noise of trams as possible. There ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Leopold_Manager, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and very kind words following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I am delighted that once again you had a great stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was very please to be offered a room upgrade on arrival for joining their membership club (free of charge).. Staff were extremely friendly and room was well kept. Situated as part of a square with bars and restaurants, it is in a good location although not overly noisy.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you joined our rewards programme and enjoyed your room upgrade. I do hope we get to welcome you back soon at the Leopold Hotel or at one of our other properties in the UK

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had been intending to stay at this hotel for sometime having heard good reports about it and finally got around to it recently for a weekend stay. It is in a very central location in the city centre which means a bit of a walk from the car park that they have an arrangement with but this is too be expected. The building itself is impressive, being a former Technical College and has retained a lot of original features which is very nice and makes a pleasant change from the usual identikit chain hotels.

The check-in was efficient and the staff were welcoming and friendly. Our bedroom was on the 4th floor and was a good size, nicely decorated with high ceilings. For some reason though the TV was mounted on the wall so high up you could only watch it by laying on the bed!! This seemed odd given that there was sufficient wall space elsewhere in the room where it could have gone at a more sensible height. The bed was comfortable and double glazing kept out the traffic noise. There was a strange chemical smell present in the room when you first entered which was odd and which I couldn't quite identify but didn't give a great first impression.

The bathroom was good but the shower was poor - in such a newly renovated room I would expect a power or rain shower and shower curtains are always unpleasant - a screen is a much better idea.

When we returned from an evening out we were surprised to be told that we were unable to pay with cash for drinks at the bar and that they had to be charged to our room. I have never encountered this before in any hotel and thought it most odd!

Breakfast was served in the small restaurant on the lower ground floor. I was glad the hotel wasn't too busy as I suspect it would be problematical if it was given the small entrance door and the staff had to go past the buffet to get to and from the kitchen. The continental selection was OK, nothing special and not really what I expected - poor fruit selection (skin left on kiwi fruit slices, unripe melon) and slightly unpleasant yoghurts. I would expect a 'luxury' hotel to do something a bit more special. The hot food was much better - cooked to order and all of good quality (apart from the baked beans). Similarly toast was also made to order which is a vast improvement on the "toast it yourself" approach most hotels use these days. Another annoyance was that when the tea was brought the waiter poured it straight into my cup so without any consideration as to how strong I like my tea or whether or not I wanted milk in first!!

On checkout the hotel had charged me a £7 "reduced fee" for car parking overnight. However, when I reached the car park I discovered that as it was a Sunday I could have parked overnight for £3!!

This hotel is marketed as part of 'Small Luxury Hotels of the World' and whilst it is a cut above the usual chain hotel it falls down on a number of small areas which don't make it quite 'luxury' and so, on balance, I was a bit disappointed with my stay given the price I paid compared to other hotels in Sheffield city centre.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review and comments following your stay with us. I have noted all your helpful points. Just to clarify the car parking the £3 charge you saw was for daytime use only, had you left your car in the carpark and not availed of our rate it would have cost you £8.
I do hope we get to welcome you back again