“Classy and convenient location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Hong Kong
“Classy and convenient location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

This hotel is located in the middle of everything....right along West Street which is like the main street for bars and restaurants. Particularly good for me as it is just 8 min walk from both office locations I had to visit.

It is very new and it uses only the finest material for all its amenities....modern flat TV, iPhone dock clock, sturdy slippers. Free wifi in public area and 10 pounds a day for wired internet in the rooms. I was lucky to be in the 2nd floor close to the lift lobby, and was able to catch the wifi signal in my room.

Breakfast is not bad too...full English breakfast plus fruits and cereal. The staff were very helpful - we arrived early morning and were not due for checkin until 2pm, but they accomodated our request for early checkin into one of the rooms (we are a party of 3 people but the two other rooms were not ready yet) to get changed and freshen up before going to work.

As others noted, most of the rooms had windows facing the inner of Leopold Square, a place of restaurants and bars. It wasn't bad at all for us as we stayed for only Mon-Thu, no crowd at all. But I can imagine it could get noisy for Fri/Sat evenings.

BTW, I don't know if this is now common in UK hotels, but it allows settlement of hotel bills in your local currency (as opposed to settling in GBP and let your card company converts). DO NOT USE that option. I found that its rate is much worse than the my Mastercard's rate (13.4 HKD to 1 GBP as opposed to 13.1 used by my card company).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Cardiff
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

Lovely location but sent on very long detour to find carpark. our booking was messed up and the twin rooms we booked were not available so not very convenient for a group pf 4 ladies.
Lovely breakfast on first day but sunday sent into conference room very much second class citizens - no menu choice, make own toast, plastic jams, very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank vicky53cardiff
North Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2009

The position of the hotel is great and the surrounding, The hotel staff were most helpful, rooms and bed OK, But there is no proper restaurant and breakfast was self service, which i did not expect for a SLH, after along journey the last thing we wanted was to look for somewhere to eat and the bar food although it sounded good was the last place I would choose to eat, too busy not relaxing enough.
I was suppose to have gone to Portugal, but it was cancelled, as my father had just passed away and this was to be a treat to cheer me up....my husband felt as if he had let me down!
Sheffield seemed a nice place and we would visit again..but not stay here...

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richhil
Bath England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

I did not know this wonderful hotel existed! A client booked it and i am happy they did.Located in the heart of the city yet calm and quiet.On a wet miserable night my room was warm and snug.No expense spared with Starck ghost chairs and luxurious bedding.
The young lady on reception was genuinely charming and even helped me sort out the internet.The best hotel by far in the city.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DominicBathEngland
Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

We've just returned from a two night stay in the Leopold and I can't recommend it highly enough. The staff were fantastic and very helpful, and the room was gorgeous. The bed was just about the comfiest I've encountered, and the bathroom was beautiful too (nice toiletries, very thick fluffy towels, great shower and bath). Everything was stylish, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included with the package deal we booked and it was delicious. The rates were very reasonable and the location of the hotel couldn't be better (city centre, backing onto a square filled with great restaurants and bars). As they have no parking facilities you can get a special rate for a nearby car park if you let them know. It's quite tricky to find, but the hotel gave us a map and the staff gave great directions too. All in all, we had a fantastic break and would recommend it to anyone - much nicer than the usual chain hotels you would get for the same price!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittynoodle
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

I stayed at the Leopold a couple of nights ago. It wasn't my own choice (booked for me by a colleague) but I would book it for any future visit to Sheffield without any hesitation. My room was lovely, laid out over 2 floors with plenty of space, decorated tastefully and with possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. All I could have wanted was provided - good quality toiletries, plenty of clean white towels, a bathrobe, a shower cap, even a toothbrush & toothpaste incase you'd forgotten yours, and an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. There were TWO flatscreen TVs (one in the bedroom and one in the living room area downstairs) and an ipod docking station/radio/alarm. The staff were incredibly well-mannered and quick to help, but totally unobtrusive, and there was plenty of choice for breakfast. I'd describe the hotel as smart, tasteful, comfortable and extremely well-located. If I'm visiting Sheffield again, I won't even think about booking anywhere else - this ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel while we were attending the snooker world championship. We got a really great deal for bed and breakfast and we were simply amazed. The staff were so friendly, the room was absolutely beautiful. It was a bit small but we didn't care as the decor was outstanding, it still had the original wooden beams and the bathroom was modern and quite big. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I normally have great difficulty sleeping but this bed was so cosy and warm. I'd just had a kidney removed and this was the perfect way to relax and recover! We had breakfast in bed on both mornings and it was hot and extremely filling. We were genuinely sad to go and are definitely going next year for the snooker!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2009
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Leopold next Year.