“Ordinary Inn”

Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
UK
“Ordinary Inn”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed in two double rooms for one night and the rooms were actually technically outside the inn on the top floor with two flights of stairs. At night, the only exit and entrance was from a side door as the inn was closed at night. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were a little late for breakfast the next morning and they were very accommodating in arranging breakfast for us. The lady who served us could not have been more attentive or pleasant. Whilst checking in, the boy at the desk accompanied us to our rooms and he kindly offered to carry our bags which we politely declined.

The rooms were decent sized; one bathroom contained a bath with a shower over without any curtains to shield the water flying everywhere. Our daughter was trapped in the other bathroom as the doorknob came off whilst the door was locked and she was inside. As this room is on the top floor completely away from the inn, there is no way to ask for help. Luckily she carried her mobile phone in the bathroom and she could call us for us to be able to get this sorted.

Overall it was an okay stay, marred by the bathroom incident, or else I would have rated it 3-1/2 stars. I would commend it for the pleasantness of staff, ample parking outside, quite location and good restaurant in the pub (we did not eat there except for breakfast).

Room Tip: Look for rooms on the first floor unless you want to carry bags to the top floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tachyphoenix

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
West Bromwich
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Excellent service. Friendly staff. Double room was comfortable and spacious as was the en-suite. Stayed over one night and had breakfast which was excellent. Can't comment on the dinner menu because we didn't eat in the restaurant. There is no lift but we were offered help with our bags. Would stay there again and would definitely recommend this to anyone who wanted to stay in this locality.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MJB B
scarborough
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Nice welcome by Richard ,and efficient book in,although seemed peeved when I paid by cash instead of swiping my debit card.gave me a card to charge things to my room.Again frown appeared when I told him I always pay cash for everything I have.He carried my bag to our room ,The Bridal suite,,O.K so far.Although in my seventies ,i made the wife giggle at the thought of staying in the Bridal Suite..OH WELL..The Bridal Suite was a misnomer Very large room.very small bathroom with small corner bath .Toiletries were absent with the exception of TWO liquid soap dispensers.The toilet was cramped against the wall ,AND the smallest , thinnest toilet paper I have ever seen ,coming out from a cupboard behind you .Oh my aching back , cant even soak to ease the pain,as you can only lay down in the bath with your legs over your head ..The flat screen television was a sight to behold , bigger than my shed with a support bracket large enough to anchor a cruise ship to ,it took up a lot of room .The thought did cross my mind that the room designer knew very little about newly weds to think that they would a T.V that size.. Down in the bar the drinks were very reasonably priced , although the lager was so icy the cold cracked one of my teeth ,. The food as far as I could tell turned out to be prime microwave fodder .Ok if you like that sort of thing , if not tough ,no other option ..Breakfast was Very good on the first day ,sadly the following day the food was not cooked to the same standard , more like hit with a flamethrower for five minutes .. On checkout I was told I owed money on my room tab, after two minutes of you do I dont oh yes you do oh no I dont the manager was telephoned and confirmed I dont..Will we be back no fear of that.. Do I hope that this will put people off.. OH YES I DO!!!!!

Room Tip: Take your own toilet paper ,,and a vacuum cleaner ..
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curlyboy57
England
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We booked a superior room, as my partner was going to the Thornbury Hospital for a minor procedure and I thought I may spend some time in the Hotel. The Room was huge but only had a small double bed (which was comfortable) the bathroom was basic with a very small corner bath and NO SHOWER!! The toiletries, which are shown on the website, were two Dove soap dispensers on the wall and the bath one was empty. The cost was £120 per night, which you will pay for a really good hotel. In all fairness the food was very good, and very reasonable which compensated a bit , for the expensive room.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an upgrade to the superior!! And remember to take your own shampoo and conditioner...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LindaAnnEngland
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Very nicely furnished and decorated rooms, clean modern bathroom, selection of tea coffee & biscuits in the room. Amazing full english breakfast & free parking at £40 for a double room.
No contest compared to the other hotels in the city at a similar price, far superior to your travel lodges etc.

Room Tip: Room 7 was nice but i imagine they are all of the same standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

was impressed by the extensive menu and bogf , but very let down by the food .
it was a small portion, some of it was cold, the beef and pork dinners were inedible, soggy , no taste and cheap sliced meat , just like a frozen meal from iceland.
we complained to the waiter but all he said was that he would report it to the kitchen.
that was it no one came back to us.
we will not eat here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Welwyn Garden City
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Manager is good craic, and memorable! Rooms clean and large family room (number 1) well heated and nice location for peak district trips. Drinks well priced and breakfast has good bacon! Would defintely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012