“Compact arrangement, very suitable to budget sleeping”

Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
underneath
“Compact arrangement, very suitable to budget sleeping”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The staff were very friendly and polite. They answered all questions that I had about the hotel and city.

The beds in the room consist of a double bed already made with an unmade (bedding provided) single bed as a bunk above it. The beds had foam mattresses. Although these weren't uncomfortable, they were not particularly comfortable either. The foam held firmly, but did have some give. One of the best form mattresses I have ever slept on.

The TV when turned on had a very loud default volume. Be sure to be hold down the volume down button very quickly after pressing the standby button.

The shower facilities are essentially in the room. There is a sink in the room in a non-carpeted area. The wall here is mirrored nicely with adequate lighting. Beside this there is the door into the shower. This door is made of very frosted glass so the individual cannot be seen, but will be stepping in and out of the bedroom. The toilet was in a cupboard behind the room door.

There was a shelf in one corner with a hanging rail and a few hangers underneath. There were no doors or covering of any kind for this area.

The window could only be opened half an inch.

There was a desk with one plug socket (other than that the TV was plugged into), and a cheap computer chair. There were no internet facilities within the room.

The room also lacked tea and coffee making facilities. Hot drinks were available self-service 24/7 in the hotel lobby at over £1 each.

The breakfast was just under £4. It consisted of brown and white sliced bread. A very slow toaster was provided (4 to get a golden brown toast). There were also croissants, sliced baguette style rolls, and blueberry muffins. For cereals there were cornflakes and rice krispees. Milk, apple juice and orange juice was available, and hot drinks were included in price. A good selection of jam, honey, nutella, butter and spread. I did not feel this was good value.

In the hotel lobby there is a selection of microwaveable food, sandwiches, yoghurt, etc. available 24/7 and a microwave. There is also a computer for internet access.

Car parking is not included in price, nor guaranteed.

The #69 bus runs directly past and cost £1.80 into Sheffield, and £4.30 for unlimited day travel. Frequent service during weekdays, but does run every day.

The hotel is next to the ice rink and stadium, about two miles from the city centre.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ltl
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Etap Sheffield. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments.
Rachel heathcote

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Callington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This was our first stay at an ETAP Hotel, We were pleased with the speed of check in as we had been travelling from Cornwall for about 6 hours. Our first thoughts were that the room was very small but as we were using the hotel as a base it was quite adequate for a short stay. The rooms are efficiently designed but don't expect any luxuries. The mattress may be a bit firm but sleep quality was good, We didn't hear anything from rooms adjacent. The location is ideal for visiting Meadowhall Shopping Centre and the Sheffield Arena. We actually went to see Sheffield Wednesday play a football match followed by a day out in the beautiful Peak district. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, So much choice it will be hard making up your mind where to eat! I'd recommend this hotel to people who don't mind going without luxuries, a good idea would be to bring a travel kettle.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Owlincallington
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Etap Sheffield
Kind regards
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2011

After reading mixed reviews we had a few worries about this hotel, but once we saw the hotel we were quite impressed, it nice, clean, staff we're very freindly and helpful.The rooms were of a good size, bed was lovely and confortable, was no noise from other guest.Plus were were 2 mins from the arena which was superb plus parking only £3 too.The breakfast was lovely too food was all fresh and so much to choose from (if your not hoping for full english!)

Can honestly say it was alot nicer than we anticipated considering we only paid £18 for 2 of us which you would expect a "shabby" hotel, but i would recommend this hotel to anyone and we shall definalty be using it again ourselves in the fututre, would rate this hotel 10/10

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauz83_11
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. . We look forward to welcoming you back at Etap Hotel Sheffield.
sheffield
Reviewed 17 February 2011

the location of the hotel , the cleanliness , the staff and value was brilliant , however the bed was very hard and incomfortable , so much so it made my back really bad .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chipwhizz
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, 23 February 2011
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Etap Sheffield. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans. Kind regards,
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Couldnt reccommed this hotel more, we only paid £18 for a room which was fab! rooms very basic but very clean and tidy. Very powerful warm shower, comfy bed overall great room. We paid the extra for breakfast which i wouldnt do again on the basis that it was £3.75 just for a slice of toast really unless your going to eat loads of toast and cereal wouldnt pay for breakfast again however the toast and coffee i did have was lovely. staff very friendly and accomodating. Within 5 minutes walking distance of the metro radior arena, ice skating next door, retail park 5 mins away with loads of resteraunts, shops and a cineworld. LOVE this hotel, perfect location!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jess1077005
RachelHeathcoteGM, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Sheffield Arena, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Etap Sheffield again very soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Booked this hotel online for £18 there "special promo rate" filled in everything correct Inc card details recieved a call from them a little while after stating my card had been declined. No reason why it has been declined so I rang the bank was no fault on my accountir blocks and were sufficient funds in and that it was the hotels fault.

I arrived at the hotel to check in and rectify this problem and was told the online system server has nothing to do with them. They were fully aware of my booking and that I had booked at £18 however the most rude ignorant person on the desk refused to take payment of my card at hotel for £18 and told me I had to pay £35 full rate. Not only was I annoyed but it was 5pm and I was fed up after the person on reception messed me about for a good half hour fobbing me off with excuses and checking in other guests and answering the phone.
They took the card payment of £35 and it went straight through instantly !!!!!!!!!.

The room was small, the bed is nearly on the floor with all Lino peeling up around edges and on corners. I am not making this up and you will see for yourself we stayed in room 12.

This is absolutely disgusting of a hotel and should be against the law running this kind of scam practise. Their is a travelodge in Sheffield Centre and at Meadowhall for a couple of quid extra you get a much bigger cleaner room, better service and more facilities in room (etap does not offer tea etc in room no kettle)!.

So as for my bad experience on this dirty dive STAY WELL AWAY !!!.

• Stayed February 2011
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Etap Sheffield appreciate your feedback and we are addressing the issue.
Rachel Heathcote

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels