“Disappointing - this place to look at it's food quality.”
Review of Cafe Rouge - Sheffield - CLOSED

Cafe Rouge - Sheffield
Price range: US$0 - US$53
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Sheffield
“Disappointing - this place to look at it's food quality.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Café Rouge used to be seen as an upmarket restaurant with good quality food. I went for my birthday but was disappointed yet again with the food quality. The waitress was working on her own and had about 10 tables to cover but did a great job considering. What let this place down was the quality of the food considering the price. It is not cheap yet the food was disappointing. It feels like a meal you could cook for yourself at half the price. I had the mussels which were overdone and dry. I won't return again now unless something changes with Café Rouge.

• Visited April 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tasty and good service!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Went here for a quick meal. Was really good and tasted great. Only downside I would say is that I ordered steak and chips and my peppercorn sauce came 10 minutes later. I didn't want to eat my food without the sauce so waited but then it wasn't as hot.

Visited March 2014
Southport, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Lovely setting but oh dear what a tired looking place it is inside!The food took a long time and was very average for above average cost!Everything about it was frayed at the edges.Wont be returning to this place to eat - ever!

Visited February 2014
UK
“Poor performance from well known chain”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Having just eaten lunch in the Ecclesall Road, Sheffield branch of Cafe Rouge I am surprised and disappointed at the experience
We had to wait 40 mins until our Croque Madame and Flat Iron steak sandwich were served and when questioned about the delay,one of the staff (who I took to be there manageress) said it was 'because of the well done steak' When I raised a disbelieving eyebrow she reiterated that it takes 25-30 min to cook a well done steak. Well, I've cooked many a steak of that thickness in my life and never has it taken 25 minutes!
When the Croque Madame arrived it had what looked and tasted like a sloppy cheese spread (supposedly Gruyere cheese) under a very badly fried egg spread over it with no evidence that it had ever been under the grill
Our table, although not directly next to the kitchen, shook alarmingly every time the waiting staff clomped by on the wooden boards and one waitress even managed to thump into my chair as I was eating (without apologising)
I would not recommend this place for lunch on a Saturday. It wasn't even half full and they were turning people away
Altogether a bad experience and at £22 for lunch one which I shall never be repeating

• Visited January 2014
Dronfield, United Kingdom
“Always busy but always welcoming”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We ate here on New Years Eve. It was chaotic but staff their usual welcoming selves. Very noisy as there were quite a few parties in but usually its fine. Food was great. Always consistently good here. Had the fishcakes which were excellent and great chips too. Had superb caramel ice cream for pudd. Visit here regularly and its always good value for money.

• Visited December 2013