“In dire need of a revamp”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London, United Kingdom
“In dire need of a revamp”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The location of the hotel is excellent, just a 2 minute drive from the Sheffield inner ring road and once in the hotel you'd never know just how close to the city you are. The hotel is set in grounds that make you feel like you're in the middle of the countryside - trees, lawns and a lake.

I stayed in an Executive room with a patio door with its own patio looking towards a lake. Getting my heavy luggage from reception to the room was a big problem as there was no lift access to the area where my room was (and no porter service to help either). The room was large but very out-dated with an old-style TV, hardly any power sockets and no fridge (I had to get buckets of ice from the bar). For a room that is supposed to appeal to business users it badly needs updating. The bathroom was large but the shower (fixed to the wall) could have been far better.

I had dinner in the restaurant and I cannot fault the food which is far better than you expect it to be. The wine prices are extremely expensive so best to get a drink from the bar first! The decor in the restaurant needs updating to make it suit the quality of the food.

Upon arrival I discovered that the "free wi-fi" advertised is very limited and that you really need to get a wi-fi access card from reception, though once you have it, it works.

The reception staff were always excellent and individually all were good but there seems to be a lack of training and there wasn't that "can-do" service-with-a-smile attitude you expect from a four-star hotel, for example, the restaurant seemed under-staffed with waiting staff running the front desk of the restaurant and the bar as well as waiting tables. It's as if someone who runs hotels but doesn't stay in them thinks you can cut staffing costs by having waiting staff doing three jobs at once and still claim to be a four star establishment. This leads to weaker service - customers waiting, bread rolls handed out without butter and so forth. There was none of that smooth, confident customer service you expect in a four star hotel, and it lets down the food.

Kenwood Hall is directly competing with the DoubleTree in Sheffield for four-star business customers and I have to say that they're losing the battle. DoubleTree hotels are setting a standard for four-star service that other hotels like Kenwood Hall are not coming close to matching, yet the potential for this hotel is massive being in the location it's in and in the setting it has.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are a very long way from the reception area and step-free access to some of the ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GarethK95
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for your comments.
The hotel is set within its own grounds overlooking the lake just a short drive from the city centre as you state in your comments giving you the feel of staying in the countryside

I apologise that you were not offered help with your luggage, whilst we do not have porters on duty we have plenty of team members who are available to assist guests with luggage - Unfortunately as you had a room with a lake view it is not close to the main hotel reception

I had passed your overall feedback to the team in order for them to address some of your comments with further training in areas

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I booked 2 rooms in this hotel for Friday night. I was travelling with my husband and my 3 children whom I booked for a triple bed accommodation. I was shocked when they allocated the rooms, they put us in the main building while my children was in a family room in the other side of the hotel. I was not expecting this, as common sense suggest, we don't really appreciate to be that far from the kids. After negotiation with the receptionist she transferred us to slightly nearer room. The family room where my kids stayed (apparently the best room in the building) rather looks tired and needs a lot of improvement. The refrigerator was disgusting (dirty and stained) and partly broken.
We booked for dinner at 19:45, I asked the reception if I can put it later at 20:00 instead but she said the restaurant is fully booked and they cannot make any adjustment but to my amazement the restaurant was half empty throughout the night. We ordered a bottle of wine and the waitress opened the bottle very near in my face and some of the wine spritz into my face. The waitress never take notice of it, until my husband told her that you splash my wife with wine on the face. The waitress did not reacted to this nor apologise instead she said 'ohh' and left our table.
The food is rather average and I am wondering how they got 4 stars on this hotel. Breakfast sort of alright, but rather on a 3 star standard. Sauna, swimming pool and the gym rather small. The best part of this hotel is the grounds, the lake was so beautiful and the surrounding greenery is simply magnificent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that you were let down in some areas during your stay. I have passed on your comments to the various managers of those areas for further training.

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We wanted a hotel that was central to Sheffield and had a pool. This hotel has them both. The room was comfortable but a little dated which really didn't matter as it was clean with lovely views over the lake. We had included breakfast which was buffet style. Reasonable choice of food, staff very helpful. After breakfast we decided to try the pool but on checking it out it wasn't very big yet still went in. So pleased we did as it was so warm, my daughter loved it as did we. It also had a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room which were All fab. Overall we had a very pleasant time and we would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to make full use of the hotel facilities
As you said the hotel is set in 11 acres of its own grounds with lovely views overlooking the lake just a short drive away from the busy city centre of Sheffield

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hotel is set in lovely picturesque grounds and is certainly an ideal venue for a wedding. Whilst the rooms are very clean and can also be very spacious (depending on allocation) the place is getting just a little bit 'tired' and ready for refurbishment in places. The biggest disappointment was in the level of service and the food in the restaurant. We arrived on Friday afternoon and booked a table (for 4) in the restaurant for 2015hrs. We were allocated a table on time but it then took 35 minutes to be served our first course. After half an hour we had to ask twice for bread rolls and also remind the waitress that we had ordered drinks when we first sat down at the table. They finally arrived at the same time as our food.

The food itself was somewhat mediocre and very disappointing for a 4 * Hotel. I have had far better and tastier fare in a J D Weatherspoon pub.

Breakfast however was very good. With a superb selection of fruits as well as a comprehensive hot and cold buffet. Interesting that there appeared to be more staff servicing the breakfast buffet than waiting on the night before in the restaurant.

In summary - a bit of a curate's egg - more 3* than 4

Room Tip: Roms vary substantially in size so ask for a 'larger' one
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ozymandias69
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations
The hotel is not modern and purpose built although it is set in 11 acres of picturesque grounds overlooking the lake just 5 minutes drive for the busy city centre of Sheffield

I have passed on your comments about the dinner service to both the restaurant manager and the Head Chef and I am pleased that we were able to somewhat redeem ourselves and create the right impression at breakfast

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This was our first return to the Kenwood Hall in over 3 years.

The room was warm, clean, spacious and comfortably furnished. The bathroom was equally clean, and in good working order, although fixtures and fittings were well worn. We paid extra for a two double bedded room overlooking the lake. Sadly though there were none of the extras that most hotel companies offer for paying for a superior room – no mineral water, dressing gowns, tissues, biscuits etc. Even the soap and shower gel was a basic economy type. When guests pay more they quite rightly expect more. It's disappointing that Principal Hayley economise to the detriment of their guests.

The leisure facilities, gym and pool are good, albeit a bit tired and dated. The pool is small so feels full when with about 5 people in it.

The hotel benefits from a pleasant location, in a residential area but with beautiful grounds and a lake. Again, it could do with some investment in places from Principal Hayley. The path around the lake is dangerously uneven, seemingly having been neglected for decades. Our son fell over on the path it was so treacherous in places, with step granite steps falling away from each other leaving a very haphazard surface. The so called nature path at the side of the hotel gardens is really just a muddy track amongst the overgrown trees and shrubbery.

Although on the face of it there are a lot of parking spaces, they all fill up when the hotel is full. They should expand the car parking a little. There is easily enough land to the side to do this without having impact on the beautiful grounds towards the lake.

Breakfast was buffet style, and was good quality, with a standard selection of hot and cold food. Would have been nice to see black pudding added to the menu, but otherwise it met our expectations; but wasn’t special enough to exceed them.

Dinner was less inspiring – pizzas, burgers, fish and chips etc, and was expensive for what are quite basic dishes. The food was of reasonable quality, but portion sizes were a joke. The fish and chips came with just 9 chips. I mentioned it to the barman who shrugged and said that was the normal size portion; leaving me to get on with it. Again it feels like penny pinching to cut back on portion sizes. And amazingly there was no children’s menu.

We had an issue with our bill, they gave us a bill for breakfast at the end of our stay, despite the fact we had already paid in advance. That said, this was immediately sorted out by reception. Another issue was that the fuse kept tripping for our room. Each time they came quite quickly to restore the power, but again it’s a sign that they need to invest in a repair to avoid the almost daily problem to avoid continually inconveniencing guests.

In summary , an acceptable stay, but would be so much better if there was less cost cutting. It definitely felt more 3 star than 4 star, and this despite paying for a superior room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fomzine
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
I was a litlte surprised with some of your comments regarding your bedrooms and also the fuse tripping however now it has been brought to my attention I will get my maintenance manager to look into

The hotel does benefit from its beautiful location set in 11 acres of stunning grounds overlooking the lake - Hard to believe that you are within 5 minutes of the busy city centre.

There is ample car parking throughout the hotel grounds and around the hotel perimeter serving both the hotel reception entrance and the old house. It is advisable to check-in to the hotel as you may find parking in a different location which is easier access to your bedroom

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Booked with Groupon £82.50 deal for dinner, bed & breakfast with champagne on arrival. Having checked with hotel for a specific date before I bought the voucher it was disappointing to be contacted to 10 days before the stay to be advised the hotel was overbooked & I had to move dates. That said, I was offered another hotel in the group or an upgrade. Rebooked for a day later with an upgraded room to executive twin & a complimentary 3rd course.
Room was large, clean & airy with a balcony view of beautiful grounds. Everything was very clean & up to date. Checking in late we could only get a later dinner reservation. The waitresses were friendly and efficient and whilst the menu was limited, the food was fairly good. I would avoid the daily roast special again - it was very average but my friend's risotto with chicken looked better.
We had a comfortable night's sleep & breakfast was served to 11am which was good although our waiter was not so good with his personal hygiene being a bit off-putting.
All in all a good stay & I would return on a similar deal.

Room Tip: Executive twins with balcony v nice
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Lorraine L, Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you for your comments. I would like to apologise once again that we had a problem with the booking system which resulted in an offer of alternative dates or hotel location.

I am pleased that despite the changes to your date you were able to enjoy your package at the hotel

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I am currently visiting for a conference. The Old Hall where the conference is held is beautiful with original features and the staff are pleasant and helpful. Daytime snacks include home made biscuits, fresh fruit and ice-cream as well as the usual hot and cold drinks.
Unfortunately the room I have been allocated is definitely tired and dated. The shower rail is rusty, tiles cracked and everything is just in need of a refresh.
This hotel has leisure facilities which we are unable to use due to our working hors so I cannot comment about them. The location is outstanding and there is much potential. It just needs a certain amount of money being spent on the decor bring it up to the 4 star standard.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay with us
Whilst the hotel is not modern and purpose built we have had 18 of our bedrooms updated and refurbished in Janaury of this year.

I was a litlte surprised with your comments regarding the leisure Club as the hours had been altered in order to accommodate the conference delegates for the weekend in agreement with the main organisers