“Shoddy Room and Decor, Nothing like the Website Photo's”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Looking for somewhere to stay on Business, I checked the Kenwood out on the internet. For £72 it fitted easily into my budget and the web pictures looked modern and clean. The reception area is spacious and the desk staff were friendly and helpful. I was booked into room 305 that overlooked the car park, no problem. First impression of the room was large and spacious, two arm chairs, old style telly, but looked ok. I put the lights on and fond the plaster coming off the wall, the back of the door was dirty and marked and the wallpaper was flaking off the walls in certain areas. The bed linen was clean, but the decor was dated and tired looking. The bathroom was not the cleanest I've been in and the paintwork was as tired as Rip Van Winkle! The furniture was not up to scratch, sorry it was well scratched. TV channels were limited, even in this advanced technological age, and WIFI was not free??? I don't understand why and how hotels have the audacity to charge for internet access, when they charge so much for the room. After a swim and a sauna, in again a dated spa area, tiles missing flaking paintwork etc, I went to the bar and ordered a Becks Vier, cost £4.60, there's me thinking I was in Sheffield not Central London. Needless to say I didn't partake in another one, I decided to walk up the road and found a real ale bar serving good beer at a decent price. Breakfast was ok, cheap sausages, cold mushrooms, under toasted toast and cheap tasteless orange juice. Come on you advertise yourself as much more and failed to come up with the goods. Not the worst hotel I have stayed in, but certainly nowhere near the best within that price range. Personally I wouldn't go back, but be warned its not all the marketing blurb makes it out to be!!! Andy C

3  Thank Andy C
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback although a little disappointing especially regarding both the cleanliness and decor
As you mention we are not a modern and purpose built hotel and unfortunately not all of our bedrooms have flat screen TV'S with a variety of channels.
We do offer free WI-FI for the first 30 minutes although there is a small charge thereafter

Lorraine Lockwood

Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've been coming here for many years - in fact, when I think I can correctly remember it as being called the Swallow Hotel, and agree with most of the reviews here.

If like me, you are based in Sheffield on business from time to time and would prefer not to stay in the hustle and bustle of a city centre, then Kenwood Hall is worth serious consideration.

My most recent trip, last week, for one night only, was a fairly smooth affair. Parking for the hotel being very convenient, and I should say up to 30 seconds' walk from the entrance, I found myself at the front desk, welcomed and "checked-in" within minutes.

Directed to my room with a view of the Lake, I was pleased to see that since my last visit, some of the linen which I think was purchased in 1986 at the "Northern England Habidasher's Convention" had been replaced with something a little more modern - and by that, I now mean circa 2001. Still though, the decor here required some updating. The room was spacious and well appointed, with everything you'd need for a single night's stay - but it is not a luxury hotel. Nor I think, does it pretend to be, in spite of the impressive grounds and the nature of the building.

Breakfast was an efficient and plentiful affair - and I left feeling well rested. Given the modest amount asked for an evening's stay here, it remains my choice for an overnight trip to Sheffield. Try it and see for yourself!

2  Thank Mark01824093

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you continue to choose Kenwood as your first choice place to stay in Sheffield.
Whilst we are not modern and purpose built we do provide a tranquil setting away from the hustle of the city with views of the gardens & lake and with ample free car parking for all

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Very sceptical after booking through Groupon and then reviewing on trip advisor, however this was an excellent hotel and the all inclusive one night stay which we had booked, we absolutely loved.

from time of arrival the staff were friendly and professional and this was no more evident when we dined in the restaurant where we had an amazing 2 course evening meal.

the room (504) situated in the original Kenwood Hall was periodic, warm and such a relaxing environment we didn't want to even leave for dinner.

the cleanliness was 1st class throughout the hotel and believe me when I have an OCD (I mean house proud) partner, the room was scrutinised and given plenty of compliments.

Breakfast was as of any other hotel, buffet style with nothing to want.

we were given within the deal a pass to the leisure facility but because we had relaxed so much the thought of getting any exercise wasn't on our gender.

Overall we are shocked that the hotel is rated at 56%, we would happily and without reservation put it up in the 90%.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul D
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought your break value for money
I am pleased you were able to relax and enjoy the ambiance of the hotel, using all of the facilities and your positive comments regarding the team and that you would recommend and return in the future

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked the hotel before checking the reviews and to be quite honest arrived with a bit of trepidation.

Easy parking, welcoming receptionist and a huge bedroom met our arrival at what we felt was a bargain price. TV was not huge but we only spent an hour or so watching it and we did appear to have a choice of about 8-10 channels.

Did we experience a cold room, tatty carpets, run down bathrooms - no we did not. Perhaps we were just lucky but the hotel was in good condition. OK if you look really hard you might see some veneer coming away on a skirting board or a slight fray in the most used part of the carpet in the restaurant. But are other peoples home so perfect that they could withstand such scrutiny - I know mine couldn't.

We dined in their restaurant which was OK, typical hotel food I suppose. I did see some dishes being sent back but ours was fine. Not gourmet but enjoyable and at the price what more can you expect.

They do need to update their wifi, having to sign in every 30 minutes is a real pain so I opted for the £8 24 hour deal - something you do not expect to pay for these days.

Breakfast was not as good as the evening meal and service was very slow, so if on business either order breakfast in your room or go down 15 minutes earlier than normal.

Room Tip: Do not park your car under the trees - I am sure they have flying elephants in Sheffield the state o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel
As mentioned it is always better to experience things for yourself as people have differing opinions on value for money. We are located in a leafy area just minutes away from the busy city centre with amply free car parking for all

I note your comments regarding the WI-FI as this is something we are addressing at present

Thank you for your comments regarding slow breakfast service and I have passed on to the restaurant manager in order for him to address

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Nice property and very close to the city. From the web site I expected to be out in the country. It's a mile from city center. Clean property and got free breakfast and free gym and wi fi. Wifi kicks you off every 30 minutes and that's a pain never seen that before.
Fitness cente is pretty tired. The machines all need upgraded and the poor wifi doesn't work up there. That's my only complaint. Would stay here again. People were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

As mentioned in your comments it is hard to believe we are within 5 minutes of the busy city centre, set within 11 acres of grounds overlooking the lake we have ample car pakring to accommodate all.
We are currently reviewing the WI-FI at the hotel so hopefully this will improve the overall access

Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel has received some mixed reviews so i thought i would add my opinion. Me and 4 friends stayed here 6th - 7th january and we enjoyed our stay here. Before arriving we googled the location and it looked really close to the centre which we knew would be close to bars and restaurants however were a little skeptical about noise however on arriving the hotel was in a lovely quiet area with minimal noise at any time of day, the gardens were luxurious and beautiful with a lovely lake. We had a mix of rooms, the standard one which for the price was perfect, the superior room was spacious and v.clean and finally we had the suite which wasnt as big as we would have liked but had room for the 5 of us to sit comfortably in the lounge, unfortunately the hotel restaurant wasnt open on the monday 6th evening so we ventured in a taxi kindly ordered by reception to take us to meadowhall shopping centre and upon returning to the hotel had asked a member of staff to take some plates and cutlery upto thw suite as we had a cake, the hotel staff were friendly and very accomodating to every need. The only downside is that you have to get taxis to get around which if there is a group of you but otherwise could end up being costly. The hotel was very clean from what we saw and although i wouldnt say it is a 4* its facilities were good they have a pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and were clean and was open until 9.30pm! Throughout the night there were security on reception and around the hotel so i felt as though we were safe and our property was secure. The breakfast the next day was lovely, as there were lots on offer, a hot breakfast and continental! :-) overall i was pleasantly surprised by the Kenwood Hall hotel, i think it definately pays to ignore some reviews and go with your gut instinct and im glad we did, we had a great time at this brilliantly located hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy your stay with us in the hotel and enjoy all of the facilities. As we are set within 11 acres of grounds just 5 minutes away from the busy city centre the hotel is quiet

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Myself and my boyfriend (and on one occasion his 7yr old daughter) have stayed here on several occasions and have never been disappointed with the place.

Very good value for money to pre-book.
The hotel is sitatuated in a leafy subburb of Sheffield and was quite a task to find the 1st time!

Check in can be a bit slow as there is only usually 1 member of staff on reception.
It is a lovely grand entrance and presented well for the 1st opinion of the hotel.

The double rooms have all the facilities you need and if you get lucky you have a lovely view of the lake or at least the leafy surroundings usually featuring squirrels!
Full bathrooms, good selection of tea & coffee and plenty of wardrobe space.

The stay with the child was in a double room which accomodated a child (as per the hotels advice) and this room was huge. The 'child' bed was a pull out/sofa bed yet very comfy and had been laid out for our arrival. This was situated in an area which was a little 'seperated' from the main bedroom- i don't mean in a way that you couldn't see the child as it's basically at the bottom of the main bed but does give a slight bit of privacy so was nice.
This was the first time also we'd gone for the breakfast option.

Having had bar food there on a stay previously i wasn't blow away by the selection or quality then but the breakfast is a different matter.

There is masses of selection, self serve buffet of cereals/fruit/cooked items and several 'non standard' items which could be cooked to order (scrambled eggs/porridge etc).
The food quality was very good and kept warm well.
The dining area was well maintained by the staff also.

All in all its always a pleasant stay and even though it belongs to a group of Hotels it does have charm that the 'chain hitels' don't so for a few £'ss (and not usually more than that!) its worht a look to stay there.

There is plenty of parking but it does get full and in the winter can be pretty treacherous with the leaves and wet ground.The car park is also quite dark if you have to park right at the back!
The boyfriend and his daughter used the pool & facilities and said they were good but I haven't had the oppertunity!

The rest of Sheffield is very accessible (by car)- the Peace Gardens are close by and so are plenty of places to eat if you don't fancy the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you thought your stay with us was value for money and that you were able to enjoy the facilities within the hotel