“Parents Visit”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 4 February 2014

my parents stayed here 2 nights in February, with myself joining them (separate room) for the 2nd night. We booked because there was an offer for 20% off room rate and free breakfast with added benefit of quiet location near Sheffield centre and pool/sauna facilities. Reception staff didnt seem to quite know how the computer worked. Bar and restaurant staff all friendly although clearing tables at breakfast seemed slow. My parents were in a Suite room which had a patio and overlooked the lake and also had modern bathroom and nicer finishes and fittings. I was in 301 which was a normal room: really old CRT TV, masses of space with ample room for the double bed, two armchairs and coffee table. The decor and finishes were a bit tired and the bathroom was looking a bit worn but everything worked. Food was excellent and nice service and selection at the bar area too. Pool was smaller than we expected, small kidney shape, so you couldnt exactly do any fitness swimming but adequate for a splash around. Nice hot tub and sauna/steam room area too. You have to walk down some stairs to get to the changing rooms, so remember your towel or you have to walk back up cold and wet. We would all stay again if there was another offer, wouldn't really want to be paying more than £70 per room per night. There was also a wedding evening on during our stay, but we didnt notice as the function rooms are completely separate from the reception/bar/restaurant area.

Room Tip: East facing rooms look at the car park, west facing rooms look at the grounds. Due to the accommodat...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
Whilst the hotel is not modern and purpose built I am pleased that you thought it clean, tidy and comfortable and unfortunately only our upgraded rooms have flat screen TV and a variety of channels.
I would like to thank you for the comments regarding the staff and the food in the restaurant

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Write a ReviewReviews (1,386)

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

After reviewing the latest remarks on this site, we decided to book the hotel for a night's getaway anyhow and take a chance - The negative reviews can sometimes be exaggerated! Upon arrival the hotel did have a nice entrance and grounds and all seemed hopeful, however from the dreary staff on reception and the shabby corridors it was soon clear that we should have taken note of the reviews. The room was cold and felt damp. The windows were smeared and the bed looked uninviting and well used - curved up at the corners! The bathroom was dated and on close inspection was not best cleaned. In fact the whole appearance was that of a bedsit with the shabby sofas and tatty furniture. The rooms desperately need a makeover and need to be brought in line with the standards of a 4 star hotel. It was somewhat disappointing and therefore honestly, the first time I have checked in a hotel and asked to check back out within 30 minutes! We were offered a free upgrade but although this room was more modern, it still lacked the ambience of 4 star accommodation and by this point we were also put off by the hotel! As we was also surprised to see communal areas such as the lounge, staircases and corridors being decorated - nowhere does it advise about the disruption and works taking place (not really helping with the relaxing atmosphere!)
This hotel does not feel like a four star hotel nor worth the nightly rate- shame really as with some TLC this could be something special. Hugely disappointed and would not recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pilko34

Thank you for your comments although a little disappointed with your feedback
As you mention on arrival we are always trying to improve the hotel hence the redecoration of the reception area on your arrival. With any works undertaken we try to minimise any disruption to our guests during this process. I have received nothing other than positive comments regarding the decoration works at the hotel

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Visited for one night and was really impressed with this hotel.

The location was lovely. So quiet and peaceful with lovely views of the gardens.

The bed was incredibly comfortable. Loved having a dressing gown in the room.

The shower was really powerful and hot.

Room Tip: Room 414 was great
2  Thank Suz K

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you had a relaxing time with us and was lucky enough to have been allocated a bedroom with views over the gardens and lake

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Looking for somewhere to stay on Business, I checked the Kenwood out on the internet. For £72 it fitted easily into my budget and the web pictures looked modern and clean. The reception area is spacious and the desk staff were friendly and helpful. I was booked into room 305 that overlooked the car park, no problem. First impression of the room was large and spacious, two arm chairs, old style telly, but looked ok. I put the lights on and fond the plaster coming off the wall, the back of the door was dirty and marked and the wallpaper was flaking off the walls in certain areas. The bed linen was clean, but the decor was dated and tired looking. The bathroom was not the cleanest I've been in and the paintwork was as tired as Rip Van Winkle! The furniture was not up to scratch, sorry it was well scratched. TV channels were limited, even in this advanced technological age, and WIFI was not free??? I don't understand why and how hotels have the audacity to charge for internet access, when they charge so much for the room. After a swim and a sauna, in again a dated spa area, tiles missing flaking paintwork etc, I went to the bar and ordered a Becks Vier, cost £4.60, there's me thinking I was in Sheffield not Central London. Needless to say I didn't partake in another one, I decided to walk up the road and found a real ale bar serving good beer at a decent price. Breakfast was ok, cheap sausages, cold mushrooms, under toasted toast and cheap tasteless orange juice. Come on you advertise yourself as much more and failed to come up with the goods. Not the worst hotel I have stayed in, but certainly nowhere near the best within that price range. Personally I wouldn't go back, but be warned its not all the marketing blurb makes it out to be!!! Andy C

3  Thank Andy C

Thank you for your feedback although a little disappointing especially regarding both the cleanliness and decor
As you mention we are not a modern and purpose built hotel and unfortunately not all of our bedrooms have flat screen TV'S with a variety of channels.
We do offer free WI-FI for the first 30 minutes although there is a small charge thereafter

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've been coming here for many years - in fact, when I think I can correctly remember it as being called the Swallow Hotel, and agree with most of the reviews here.

If like me, you are based in Sheffield on business from time to time and would prefer not to stay in the hustle and bustle of a city centre, then Kenwood Hall is worth serious consideration.

My most recent trip, last week, for one night only, was a fairly smooth affair. Parking for the hotel being very convenient, and I should say up to 30 seconds' walk from the entrance, I found myself at the front desk, welcomed and "checked-in" within minutes.

Directed to my room with a view of the Lake, I was pleased to see that since my last visit, some of the linen which I think was purchased in 1986 at the "Northern England Habidasher's Convention" had been replaced with something a little more modern - and by that, I now mean circa 2001. Still though, the decor here required some updating. The room was spacious and well appointed, with everything you'd need for a single night's stay - but it is not a luxury hotel. Nor I think, does it pretend to be, in spite of the impressive grounds and the nature of the building.

Breakfast was an efficient and plentiful affair - and I left feeling well rested. Given the modest amount asked for an evening's stay here, it remains my choice for an overnight trip to Sheffield. Try it and see for yourself!

2  Thank Mark01824093

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you continue to choose Kenwood as your first choice place to stay in Sheffield.
Whilst we are not modern and purpose built we do provide a tranquil setting away from the hustle of the city with views of the gardens & lake and with ample free car parking for all

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Very sceptical after booking through Groupon and then reviewing on trip advisor, however this was an excellent hotel and the all inclusive one night stay which we had booked, we absolutely loved.

from time of arrival the staff were friendly and professional and this was no more evident when we dined in the restaurant where we had an amazing 2 course evening meal.

the room (504) situated in the original Kenwood Hall was periodic, warm and such a relaxing environment we didn't want to even leave for dinner.

the cleanliness was 1st class throughout the hotel and believe me when I have an OCD (I mean house proud) partner, the room was scrutinised and given plenty of compliments.

Breakfast was as of any other hotel, buffet style with nothing to want.

we were given within the deal a pass to the leisure facility but because we had relaxed so much the thought of getting any exercise wasn't on our gender.

Overall we are shocked that the hotel is rated at 56%, we would happily and without reservation put it up in the 90%.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul D
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought your break value for money
I am pleased you were able to relax and enjoy the ambiance of the hotel, using all of the facilities and your positive comments regarding the team and that you would recommend and return in the future

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We booked the hotel before checking the reviews and to be quite honest arrived with a bit of trepidation.

Easy parking, welcoming receptionist and a huge bedroom met our arrival at what we felt was a bargain price. TV was not huge but we only spent an hour or so watching it and we did appear to have a choice of about 8-10 channels.

Did we experience a cold room, tatty carpets, run down bathrooms - no we did not. Perhaps we were just lucky but the hotel was in good condition. OK if you look really hard you might see some veneer coming away on a skirting board or a slight fray in the most used part of the carpet in the restaurant. But are other peoples home so perfect that they could withstand such scrutiny - I know mine couldn't.

We dined in their restaurant which was OK, typical hotel food I suppose. I did see some dishes being sent back but ours was fine. Not gourmet but enjoyable and at the price what more can you expect.

They do need to update their wifi, having to sign in every 30 minutes is a real pain so I opted for the £8 24 hour deal - something you do not expect to pay for these days.

Breakfast was not as good as the evening meal and service was very slow, so if on business either order breakfast in your room or go down 15 minutes earlier than normal.

Room Tip: Do not park your car under the trees - I am sure they have flying elephants in Sheffield the state o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel
As mentioned it is always better to experience things for yourself as people have differing opinions on value for money. We are located in a leafy area just minutes away from the busy city centre with amply free car parking for all

I note your comments regarding the WI-FI as this is something we are addressing at present

Thank you for your comments regarding slow breakfast service and I have passed on to the restaurant manager in order for him to address