“Nice facilities, great food, slightly dated room”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Westgate-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Nice facilities, great food, slightly dated room”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Kenwood Hall for two nights on a business trip. When you enter the hotel, you will be impressed by the first impression. Everything is very crisp and modern so I was quite excited about what my room would be like. If I'm completely honest, I was a little disappointed by the room and in my opinion it was a little dated.

However, after unpacking, I went to the restaurant for dinner and it was amazing. I can't have any negative things to say about the food and I was happy to pay the price for it. The restaurant staff were very friendly on both nights I was there and remembered me by name which was a nice touch.

One unfortunate experience on the first evening was when I went to the bar to ask for a diet coke with no ice and the chap behind the bar was extremely rude and unfriendly. I also turns out when I went to check out, he had charged me £4.90 for my drink by adding a room service charge on. To credit the hotel, they did remove the charge from my bill when I queried it.

Another issue with my room was that I couldn't get a wi-fi signal in my room. When I called the operator, they said that they would get the duty manager to call me to discuss the problem. When I explain that none of my 4 devices received a wi-fi signal in my room he spoke to me in a condescending tone and telling me I was clearly logging in incorrect rather than acknowledge that I couldn't get a signal in my room. This didn't get resolved and I had no wi-fi access for my stay.

The positives of this hotel has to be the food and the free use of the pool, gym and sauna. These were great add-ons and helped relax after a long working day.

I'm sure that I have just encountered the few unhelpful staff members and it wouldn't put me off staying again but I would expect wi-fi in my room to be sorted and hope that these few staff members take a leaf out of the majority of the staff I encountered who very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your extensive feedback & I apologise about the issues you have had with a couple of team members. I have passed this onto the management team for further investigation
We have recently changed companies in order to improve our WI-FI signal and access so hopefully this will resolve some of our recent issues and I apologise that on this this occasion you had problems and also that the team members did not follow this through when brought to their attention

Lorraine Lockwood General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Came here for an anniversary break, got a great bargain so wasn't expecting luxury. Welcomed by very friendly staff. Had a drink the bar, tad upset that they offered no snacks such as crisps or nuts as we were booked for lunch 2 hrs after we arrived and wanted something to tie us over.

We had a superior double room. Walked in and the size was great but it smelt very very musty. Had to open a window. Decor is ok. I can see they have updated the furnishings but the carpets are still old and the bathrooms really need sprucing up. Bed was very hard and uncomfy and I didn't sleep well at all. Toilet very noisy when we flushed too.

We used the pool which was nice and warm and the jacuzzi. This is definitely a bit of the htl that is neglected, pool edges looked dirty and in need of a good clean.

We ate at the restaurant as this was included in our rate so we had a set menu. Food was really really good, much better than expected and well worth paying for. Service was great.

There were 2 wedding at the htl when we stayed hut apart from the drinks reception we didn't see any of the guests so htl didn't get too crowded

Breakfast was really nice and we managed to get a table no problem

Overall I would say the htl was average 3 star but the food and restaurant make up for this. I would not have been happy if I had paid the full price.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thought value for money.
I have passed on your comments regarding the first impression of both the bedroom and the leisure area to the respective managers in order to address these issues and apologise that we did not meet your expectations regarding this

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Unusual location, appears to be country house in large grounds. Set in a residential area, it is a large house with recently built rooms added on and quite large grounds complete with lake, but is only a 25 minute walk from town centre and 20 minute drive from Peak District. Had a late booking and was able to get a bargain Superior room, good size, quiet and clean, with the most comfortable hotel bed I have had for a long time. Food was satisfactory, well cooked and presented, with very good service both for dinner and breakfast ( an area often neglected by many hotels). Reception was effiiciently run by a pleasent young man. Overall made a refreshing change from many chains.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panther606
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We are a hidden gem, set in 11 acres of grounds with its own lake in a leafy suberb of Sheffield only 5 minutes drive away from the busy city centre.
We have a variety of different standards and styles of bedroom and upgrading to a superior room does give you that added space and in some cases views over the grounds.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the positive comments regarding the team, food and service

General Manager Kenwood Hall
lincoln
Reviewed 26 March 2014

From the moment we went to reception to book in and was met by Jacob who is a great ambassador for this hotel we felt special. We have stayed here before and had a beautiful room on the top floor in the old hall part of the hotel, I requested this same room but couldn't give the exact number of the room Jacob said when we got upstairs if it wasn't the right room to ring down to him. Within minutes he was up with the key to our favored room. We had a lovely surprise awaiting us wine and a congratulations cake as it was our 46th wedding anniversary. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and the waitress couldn't do enough to make our meal special. The breakfast was of very good quality and vast something to suit everybody. Whilst we were there we took advantage of the leisure facilities and these were very good. Well done to all the staff I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you want quite the rooms in the old part of the building are the ones to go for.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positve comments regarding your recent stay and I am pleased that the team were able to ensure that you enjoyed your anniversary with us and Jacob was able to allocate your favourite room

I have passed on your feedback to the whole team and look forward to you returning in the future

Lorraine Lockwood General Manager Kenwood Hall
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The plus points - The main hotel building and reception is fairly impressive, there is parking and the grounds are lovely. And is it in a very convenient location. Plus the staff are very friendly and helpful. The beds (twin) were comfortable enough.
The less positive bits - I stayed in a Travelodge-style extension to the side. The bathroom in particular needed some decorating/updating, the shower temperature was a little unpredictable (and the dial broken), the old-style TV only had channels 1-4 and all had a 'snow-storm' effect so you couldn't even watch those. And if you want access to wifi you have to pay for it.
Overall it was okay - I didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyway and only stayed one night. Plus I got a late-deal (£63), which was a fair price. I wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid full price (£99).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

I apologise that you were not able to get a suitable picture on the TV during your stay. Whilst not all of our bedrooms are equipped with flat screen TV and multi channels, this is not an excuse as you should have still been able to obtain a decent picture. I have passed on your comments to the maintenance team for further investigation.

Lorraine Lockwood General Manager
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We took advantage of the hotel's offer of £116 for 2 nights with free breakfast. To be honest, from the website we expected a country style hotel but the pictures are deceiving as the majority of the building is new build and just like any other hotel. The room was nice although a little tired and the TV was terrible (old) with only terrestrial channels available which in 2014 is unusual to say the least. The spa facilities were ok but sauna was small and old, the steam room looked nice but didn't really steam up and the pool was tiny. Plenty of parking and within a 15 min walk to Eccelsall Road where there are some nice restaurants and bars. You can also get buses into town from here. Not bad but a bit of a let down.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion. The hotel is not modern and purpose built and therefore is a little dated in places, Currently our suites and upgraded rooms have flat screen TV's with a large choice of channels

Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My son and his beautiful bride picked Kenwood Hall for their wedding; never having stayed there, I wasn't sure what to expect.
The good news is that the facility and staff are well-suited for a small wedding. It couldn't have been more convenient for our party of 15: check-in was efficient; the rooms were of a good size, clean and nicely furnished and well-located to each other, as well as to the restaurant, the Terrace Room and the Library (the latter two being where the ceremony and reception were held); and despite the number of business travelers (it being mid-week), the restaurant staff were generally attentive. The grounds are lovely and well-kept: the paths around the pond and the views from the terrace are worth checking out!
Some in our party felt that the furniture was a bit beyond its prime: noting some of the other reviews, it appears management is in the process of updating things - no cause for concern in my mind, or in my experience. Bar staff seemed a little overwhelmed at times, but if it's your child's wedding, nothing will be as perfect as you want - speaking objectively, I suspect service was just fine: more a case of parental jitters on our part. A wider beer (i.e., real ale) selection on tap wouldn't hurt that, come to think of it!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that the whole family enjoyed the wedding of your son and daughter-in law at the hotel and that you were able to take advantage of the grounds during your stay
I have passed on your positive feedback to the team

Kenwood Hall Hotel