“Good with a groupon deal.”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited here as a treat for our first wedding anniversary using a groupon deal. Had we not used a deal, I dare say my review would be different!
We paid £139 for 2 nights with breakfast, 1 evening meal and a bottle of wine on arrival. It was well worth that.
The room was large - the bed was gargantuan and very very comfy. A lack of light made it quite difficult - only bedside lamps and no main light. Some of the handles on the furniture were broken and could do with tidying up.
We went for dinner on the first night - 2 courses included from a limited menu. The starter was delicious. the main was nice but nothing special. We added a bottle of wine and 2 desserts. Imagine the horror when the bill for the extras was £38!!!!!! £8.00 for cheese and biscuits, £6.00 for 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and £24.00 for a bottle of house rose wine! GULP!
Breakfast was lovely - a good selection and excellent service on the Sunday morning - plenty of staff, offering tea and coffee and clearing tables. on the Monday morning there were a lot a less staff, the DIY toaster had disappeared and I had to ask for toast which then took at least 30 minutes to arrive, along with our tea and coffee. Quality of the food was good, it was just the lack of staff that let it down.
All in all, a nice hotel with a decent restaurant but the advertised prices are far far too high.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandii C
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
Unfortunately as we are an old building not all of our bedrooms have ceiling lights however they do have lamps within the room and also on the desk. Extra lighting is available should it be required in order to suit specific needs

General Manager Kenwood Hall

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Here for 3-day guitar workshop, arriving a day early because of long journey. Decent deal on full board for the course itself, with decent food, good buffet at lunchtime especially good value. Not wonderful if you're vegetarian - expect to eat a lot of cheese - but otherwise *definitely* above-average hotel food, especially given the rate we were paying.
The endless coffee and water etc available all day throughout the workshop was very welcome, and an above-average coffee machine + croissants etc, too.
The rooms in the 'modern' half of the hotel are unexceptional ; standard low-ceilinged places with thin walls, so nothing more than functional, and you really won't want to spend much time there, but they are quiet enough for a good night's sleep, unless your neighbours sneeze or cough a lot. Mine had only one bout of explosive sneezing, fortunately.
However, the staff are all great ; helpful, polite, patient, and got back to me immediately when I contacted them with a bill query after I'd returned home. Reassuring and on-the-ball ; good.
Also appreciated staff flexibility : I couldn't face more cheese, so requested fruit rather than anything on our set evening menu for dessert, and I was given a fruit salad, no problem.
It's just as well that the hotel sprawls over a large surface, because it means that the wedding reception music is far enough away not to bother people in the low-ceilinged semi-Travel-lodge section of the hotel.
The pool is very small, but fine as long as you are lucky with your timing and / or go at the child-free times. Steam room + sauna are fine later on in the day, but aren't worth using at 8am.
Final point re food ; a chef came out with a fresh tray of fried eggs at breakfast on first day, and explained that he'd been obliged to use olive oil when cooking them since the vegable oil that had been delivered was rancid. I found that rather reassuring, as well as being an agreeably customer-friendly bit of chat.

Room Tip: Presumably ask for the old building unless you want a low-ceilinged Travel-lodge-type room, but didn...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your event at the hotel.
Whilst our menu is varied our chef will always cater for individual dietary requirements upon request

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Checked in and shown and to a room a great distance from reception and spa. A lamp would not turn on and so turned on a switch near floor. There was a huge bang and smell of burning. Discovered a wire not leading to any appliance with live wires on the carpet! Dread to think if a child had done it. We contacted the manager who moved us to a larger room above and were offered two free drinks as compensation ! Large balcony outside our room was strewn with old cigarette ends. Our view over the lake was spoiled by dirty glasses on a pergola that stayed there for the duration of our two night break. On second morning we arrived for breakfast at 9.20 to be told that we were cutting it fine as breakfast finished at 9:30. I felt like a naughty child being chastised! Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed: April 2014
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you for your comments and I apologise that you had issues with your room on this occasion. I am currently investigating with the relevant managers

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Staff fabulous and welcoming. Rooms etc lovely but restaurant does not change its menue. Its miles away from shops so could not nip out to buy anything. Food rather bland and expensive. 15£ for bland main course ! Swimming pool lovely but no spar treatments and instant coffee for breakfast. Seems to have lost its way. Not cheap and seems to be cutting corners. Ok for one night but not a destination hotel. Disapointing considering there is so much to do in sheffield

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback.
I am surprised at your comments regarding the food as the Tempus menu was only changed mid March and generally we have received more than positive comments. The Corporate menu has a variety of dishes to suit all and is changed three times during the year

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Came here for 2 nights to visit family locally.

I was totally disappointed with the room - the sheets were dirty, so we rang reception to let them know & there was no apology, they just sent up a guy who stood in the hallway offering the sheets to my husband as if he was expecting us to make them up! My husband stood firm & the guy reluctantly changed the sheets, again with no apology. The bathroom had a shower curtain, which gave off a sweaty pong.

Shame that it was so disappointing because it's set in such lovely grounds.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LauHagen

Thank you for your comments and I apologise that there was a problem with your sheets on arrival at the hotel. I have passed on your comments to the operations manager for further investigation as we would not expect any of our guests to make their own beds

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at Kenwood Hall for two nights on a business trip. When you enter the hotel, you will be impressed by the first impression. Everything is very crisp and modern so I was quite excited about what my room would be like. If I'm completely honest, I was a little disappointed by the room and in my opinion it was a little dated.

However, after unpacking, I went to the restaurant for dinner and it was amazing. I can't have any negative things to say about the food and I was happy to pay the price for it. The restaurant staff were very friendly on both nights I was there and remembered me by name which was a nice touch.

One unfortunate experience on the first evening was when I went to the bar to ask for a diet coke with no ice and the chap behind the bar was extremely rude and unfriendly. I also turns out when I went to check out, he had charged me £4.90 for my drink by adding a room service charge on. To credit the hotel, they did remove the charge from my bill when I queried it.

Another issue with my room was that I couldn't get a wi-fi signal in my room. When I called the operator, they said that they would get the duty manager to call me to discuss the problem. When I explain that none of my 4 devices received a wi-fi signal in my room he spoke to me in a condescending tone and telling me I was clearly logging in incorrect rather than acknowledge that I couldn't get a signal in my room. This didn't get resolved and I had no wi-fi access for my stay.

The positives of this hotel has to be the food and the free use of the pool, gym and sauna. These were great add-ons and helped relax after a long working day.

I'm sure that I have just encountered the few unhelpful staff members and it wouldn't put me off staying again but I would expect wi-fi in my room to be sorted and hope that these few staff members take a leaf out of the majority of the staff I encountered who very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your extensive feedback & I apologise about the issues you have had with a couple of team members. I have passed this onto the management team for further investigation
We have recently changed companies in order to improve our WI-FI signal and access so hopefully this will resolve some of our recent issues and I apologise that on this this occasion you had problems and also that the team members did not follow this through when brought to their attention

Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Came here for an anniversary break, got a great bargain so wasn't expecting luxury. Welcomed by very friendly staff. Had a drink the bar, tad upset that they offered no snacks such as crisps or nuts as we were booked for lunch 2 hrs after we arrived and wanted something to tie us over.

We had a superior double room. Walked in and the size was great but it smelt very very musty. Had to open a window. Decor is ok. I can see they have updated the furnishings but the carpets are still old and the bathrooms really need sprucing up. Bed was very hard and uncomfy and I didn't sleep well at all. Toilet very noisy when we flushed too.

We used the pool which was nice and warm and the jacuzzi. This is definitely a bit of the htl that is neglected, pool edges looked dirty and in need of a good clean.

We ate at the restaurant as this was included in our rate so we had a set menu. Food was really really good, much better than expected and well worth paying for. Service was great.

There were 2 wedding at the htl when we stayed hut apart from the drinks reception we didn't see any of the guests so htl didn't get too crowded

Breakfast was really nice and we managed to get a table no problem

Overall I would say the htl was average 3 star but the food and restaurant make up for this. I would not have been happy if I had paid the full price.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thought value for money.
I have passed on your comments regarding the first impression of both the bedroom and the leisure area to the respective managers in order to address these issues and apologise that we did not meet your expectations regarding this