“Excellent customer service by Jacob”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent customer service by Jacob”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The receptionist (I think his name is Jacob ) was so professional and friendly we would not stay anywhere else in Sheffield ... For me it's all about how the staff treats customers and how approachable they are so even if there is an issue they sort it out for you . That's what impresses me and The guy at the reception Jacob had such a pleasant and lovely personality I forgot all about My experience of another hotel that I went to from there I came to kenwoodhall and I was so glad I made the right choice the location is great too.
London 12/04/2015

• Stayed April 2014
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Kenwood Hall.
I am especially pleased to hear comments regarding the team, customer service and professional approach and will ensure that Jacob receives a copy of your review . He will be delighted

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Cheshire
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was a one night stay on a Sunday after a family party in Sheffield. The room was great, spacious, clean and had everything we needed including a lovely view over the lake with fountain, complete with ducks, and the opening patio doors were a nice touch. The food from room service was good and sufficient choice on the menu for a snack. Two large beds in our room and a really comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast was buffet style but the waitress served fresh hot toast and tea and coffee. Tasty breakfast with a good variety to choose from.
Sadly the spa was in need of some tlc. The pool is very small and luckily we were leaving just as several mums with tots arrived for family swim time so check your timing. The spa area is dated and needs a good overhaul. Its clean but there are missing tiles and flaking paint and the changing facilities leave quite a lot to be desired. This was a bonus for us and not the focus of our stay, had it been I would not have been happy.
Overall, a lovely stay, good hotel, nice rooms, good food, friendly staff and we felt that for what we paid, we had value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay and I am pleased that overall you thought you stay value for money and the positive comments regarding the team

As we are one of only a few hotels in Sheffield with a leisure it should be clean and well maintained and I have passed on your comments to the leisure manager to review

Cleethorpes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited here as a treat for our first wedding anniversary using a groupon deal. Had we not used a deal, I dare say my review would be different!
We paid £139 for 2 nights with breakfast, 1 evening meal and a bottle of wine on arrival. It was well worth that.
The room was large - the bed was gargantuan and very very comfy. A lack of light made it quite difficult - only bedside lamps and no main light. Some of the handles on the furniture were broken and could do with tidying up.
We went for dinner on the first night - 2 courses included from a limited menu. The starter was delicious. the main was nice but nothing special. We added a bottle of wine and 2 desserts. Imagine the horror when the bill for the extras was £38!!!!!! £8.00 for cheese and biscuits, £6.00 for 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and £24.00 for a bottle of house rose wine! GULP!
Breakfast was lovely - a good selection and excellent service on the Sunday morning - plenty of staff, offering tea and coffee and clearing tables. on the Monday morning there were a lot a less staff, the DIY toaster had disappeared and I had to ask for toast which then took at least 30 minutes to arrive, along with our tea and coffee. Quality of the food was good, it was just the lack of staff that let it down.
All in all, a nice hotel with a decent restaurant but the advertised prices are far far too high.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandii C
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
Unfortunately as we are an old building not all of our bedrooms have ceiling lights however they do have lamps within the room and also on the desk. Extra lighting is available should it be required in order to suit specific needs

Scotland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Here for 3-day guitar workshop, arriving a day early because of long journey. Decent deal on full board for the course itself, with decent food, good buffet at lunchtime especially good value. Not wonderful if you're vegetarian - expect to eat a lot of cheese - but otherwise *definitely* above-average hotel food, especially given the rate we were paying.
The endless coffee and water etc available all day throughout the workshop was very welcome, and an above-average coffee machine + croissants etc, too.
The rooms in the 'modern' half of the hotel are unexceptional ; standard low-ceilinged places with thin walls, so nothing more than functional, and you really won't want to spend much time there, but they are quiet enough for a good night's sleep, unless your neighbours sneeze or cough a lot. Mine had only one bout of explosive sneezing, fortunately.
However, the staff are all great ; helpful, polite, patient, and got back to me immediately when I contacted them with a bill query after I'd returned home. Reassuring and on-the-ball ; good.
Also appreciated staff flexibility : I couldn't face more cheese, so requested fruit rather than anything on our set evening menu for dessert, and I was given a fruit salad, no problem.
It's just as well that the hotel sprawls over a large surface, because it means that the wedding reception music is far enough away not to bother people in the low-ceilinged semi-Travel-lodge section of the hotel.
The pool is very small, but fine as long as you are lucky with your timing and / or go at the child-free times. Steam room + sauna are fine later on in the day, but aren't worth using at 8am.
Final point re food ; a chef came out with a fresh tray of fried eggs at breakfast on first day, and explained that he'd been obliged to use olive oil when cooking them since the vegable oil that had been delivered was rancid. I found that rather reassuring, as well as being an agreeably customer-friendly bit of chat.

Room Tip: Presumably ask for the old building unless you want a low-ceilinged Travel-lodge-type room, but didn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed your event at the hotel.
Whilst our menu is varied our chef will always cater for individual dietary requirements upon request

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Checked in and shown and to a room a great distance from reception and spa. A lamp would not turn on and so turned on a switch near floor. There was a huge bang and smell of burning. Discovered a wire not leading to any appliance with live wires on the carpet! Dread to think if a child had done it. We contacted the manager who moved us to a larger room above and were offered two free drinks as compensation ! Large balcony outside our room was strewn with old cigarette ends. Our view over the lake was spoiled by dirty glasses on a pergola that stayed there for the duration of our two night break. On second morning we arrived for breakfast at 9.20 to be told that we were cutting it fine as breakfast finished at 9:30. I felt like a naughty child being chastised! Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that you had issues with your room on this occasion. I am currently investigating with the relevant managers

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Staff fabulous and welcoming. Rooms etc lovely but restaurant does not change its menue. Its miles away from shops so could not nip out to buy anything. Food rather bland and expensive. 15£ for bland main course ! Swimming pool lovely but no spar treatments and instant coffee for breakfast. Seems to have lost its way. Not cheap and seems to be cutting corners. Ok for one night but not a destination hotel. Disapointing considering there is so much to do in sheffield

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
I am surprised at your comments regarding the food as the Tempus menu was only changed mid March and generally we have received more than positive comments. The Corporate menu has a variety of dishes to suit all and is changed three times during the year

Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Came here for 2 nights to visit family locally.

I was totally disappointed with the room - the sheets were dirty, so we rang reception to let them know & there was no apology, they just sent up a guy who stood in the hallway offering the sheets to my husband as if he was expecting us to make them up! My husband stood firm & the guy reluctantly changed the sheets, again with no apology. The bathroom had a shower curtain, which gave off a sweaty pong.

Shame that it was so disappointing because it's set in such lovely grounds.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LauHagen
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that there was a problem with your sheets on arrival at the hotel. I have passed on your comments to the operations manager for further investigation as we would not expect any of our guests to make their own beds

Lorraine Lockwood General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels