“Not a great place to stay”

Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Wallasey, United Kingdom
“Not a great place to stay”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't stay here if I was using my own money, I stayed for work related business.

The entire hotel for me felt like I was in a sheltered accommodation environment, not a hotel. It is in desperate need of a facelift, both in the communal areas and private rooms. My room was very dated, the tv was from the 90's with picture quality to match. The rest of the room followed in familiar fashion, the bathroom was dated from around the 80s. Although the bed made up for the lack of a modern room, it was sublime.

The food wasn't anything to write home about, the portions were small in size and not worth wasting your time waiting for it, the wait was around 25 mins for a main! I ate out after this debacle.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your comments and I apologise that the hotel was not what you were expecting
as the hotel is not modern and purpose built.
As all of the food in the Tempus restaurant is cooked to order it would take 20 minutes for the order to be served to your table, however I will pass on your comments regarding portion size

General Manager Kenwood Hall Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We made the mistake of booking Kenwood Hall for a wedding due to take place in May 2014 - the service so far has been DREADFUL. Staff are disorganised, do not keep to their word and are generally very awkward. the experience has been everything a family could really do without around the time of a wedding. Do not use them for your special day - save yourself the stress!! We wish we had booked elsewhere now :(

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dam2448
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
I would like to apologise that you have had problems with your booking but rest assured the operational team will ernsure that you day runs smoothly
Due to licensing constraints we are restricted to capacities within all of our rooms for civil ceremonies
As I am unaware of your specific problems please contact me directly at the hotel as this is not the impression we would want to create and I am more than happy to discuss your concerns in order to put your mind at rest

Lorraine Lockwood

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We only booked this hotel so we could be near our daughter who lives in Sheffield. We couldn't believe it was the right place when we arrived. It was massive in beautiful grounds. The room was gorgeous so much space, massive tv, very large bathroom, a study area, very comfy bed, tea and coffee making facilities in its own little area. Maybe we were just lucky with this room as we only paid £49 and it was over the Easter period but we couldn't fault it we only wished we could have stayed longer to see the rest of the hotel. The staff were very friendly with check in and check out quick and easy. Will definitely be returning on our next visit to Sheffield.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 602 bit of a jaunt to get to it as the hotel is so big and I would probably have g...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return in the future

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 27 April 2014

the outside of kenwood hall looks amazing and the gardens are beautiful, the reception area and dining area are pretty much standard, however the rooms are very tired, they are large but it was details, like stains on the carpet and chairs and peeling paint in the bathroom that were off putting, the bed was comfortable and clean but i felt it was a lot of money for a very tired bedroom, its a shame as once you step inside its a bit of a let down, the staff were very friendly though. i had also payed extra for breakfast which was ok but again not worth the extra money.

Room Tip: maybe one with a garden view or recently updated?
2 Thank dukewilson
Whilst our bedrooms are not modern and purpose built I am unaware of any which are in the state you mention. I will ensure that this is followed through with both my housekeeping and maintenance manager & thank you for drawing to my attention

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Kenwood Hall for one night using the 20% off deal and free breakfast. The room was clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable. The room was rather basic however it had everything I needed for my stay. From reading past reviews I knew that the room would be slightly dated. For the price I paid it was still better than staying at a TRAVELODGE for a similar price. I understand buildings with the amount of rooms that Kenwood has will take time to update all rooms to a more modern industry standard.
The breakfast was good. There was a nice selection of hot food which was hot, tasty and fresh. Although I didn't have the continental style breakfast there looked to be a good selection of cereals and fruit.
The grounds of the hotel were lovely, it really did feel like you were in the Peak District and not near the centre of Sheffield. Location was perfect and with free parking it was an ideal hotel near to the city centre.
Overall I was happy with my stay at Kenwood, the hotel was great value for money and I would happily stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us
The hotel benefits from 11 acres of grounds, minutes away from the town centre and free car parking

Lincoln
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We found this hotel on a deal 20% off the room rate and free breakfast hence the reason for booking. The hotel was very clean and the staff were friendly. The standard was lovely and spacious with a huge bed. The room was very quiet and our sleep was undisturbed. The bathroom was clean and tidy. One dissapointment was the shower as it was in a fixed position on the wall and too low down for me to get my head under and I am only 6'2". We estimated it was about 5'6" from the floor of the bath. Apart from that everything was really nice, with a nice a little pool although not big enough for a decent swim. I paid £128.00 for 2 nights b and b which was excellent value. Just be aware the drinks were expensive, 2 barcardi and cokes were £9.00. This hotel was only a couple of miles from the city centre although it felt like you were in the middle of the countryside. The grounds however were beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to relax and enjoy our tranquil setting
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We came here for just one night on a deal through Groupon. We have bed breakfast and 2 course evening meal, you pay a little extra if you want dessert, but it's not expensive
Did a walk around Castleton, just a few miles up the road and come back to this little gem with a little lake and lovely grounds.The rooms are very tastefully decorated and the staff are polite, pleasant, helpful and professional.
The food is absolutely first class. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to take advantage of our location enjoying walks around the peak district

We look forward to welcoming you back