“Summer at Kenwood”

Ranked #25 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Bracknell Berks
“Summer at Kenwood”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have just had our third stay at Kenwood Hall. We have always had a very spacious room, (a little dark facing East but very private and generally quiet). We love the grounds and views either from the breakfast room or sitting out on the patio with a drink. We also like the area -Sharrow Vale and the Eccleshall Road have many good restaurants and unusual little shops and in 20 minutes we can be walking one of the edges in the Peak District. We even found a folk club within walking distance. Staff have generally been polite and helpful and the housekeeper once found and sent on a top that I had left in the wardrobe. We stayed for 3 nights this year as the rate was so good.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lorraine L, General Manager at Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your overall feedback of the hotel, facilities and the team
I am pleased that you enjoy your stay and frequently return and have been able to explore both the hotel, grounds and surrounding area

General Manager Kenwood Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
nanning
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Kenwood Hall Hotel is ideal for a wedding venue. It has a beatiful historic house and an adjacent hotel with leisure facilities. Excellent photo opportunities in the beautiful grounds with a lake and gardens .
Helpful expert staff to assist in planning the perfect day... Highly recommended.

Room Tip: A variety of room options and prices depending on budget and whether visiting with children.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kenwood Hall is indeed an ideal location for your wedding day whether a small intimate occasion or a large family gathering
We have a variety of rooms to suit all occasions from Kenwood Suite which is self contained building adjacent to the main hotel to the smaller rooms in the Old House with historic features, large windows and views of the grounds and lake

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Was so looking forward to a quiet child free night away I rang up before I booked and checked it wasnt to busy the night we wanted to come I got told it wasnt to bad at all. Check in was from 2pm but we got their at 245 in which it didnt look quiet to me and got told our room wasnt ready but would be in ten minutes this was fine but we where still waiting at 315 we again got told ten minutes their was a big booking of swimmers that all came in after us but all of their rooms where ready or ready with in fiver minutes of them getting to the reception. finaly at 345 I had, had enough and got told its because the night before our stay the hotel had been fully booked, how unprofessional! I asked to speak to a manager who magicly found us a room. By this stage I was extremely annoyed at the fact our room was only just ready two hours after check in, we finaly got to our room only to find the bottle of wine we had ordered wasnt in the as we had been told it would be by the manager. head of house keeping saw that I was upset by this stage came and spoke to me and with in five minutes she had upgraded us and gave us a free bottle of champagne she was brilliant! And seem to know what she was doing better than the duty manager! By this timr though i wasnt at all relaxed which was the hole point of the night away! The rooms where extremely clean and dinner and breakfast was lovely but I would not pay to stay here again nor would I recommend to anyone. As a few of the other comments say unless you are a big company like the swimmers, bringing in money they really have no interest in respecting your custom.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank amywwe
Thank you for your feedback although a little disappointed with your comments
We do value all of our customers regardless of individual bookings, a large group, conference or event and I apologise of you did not feel this was the case when you stayed at the hotel.
We do advertise that we are a large conference and events hotel with a lot of our rooms being sold last minute and it would be possible that we were not full at the time of your reservation but would easily have been at the time of your stay.
I apologise that your room was not available from 2.00pm and again for the handling of your comments with the Duty Manager although I am pleased that the housekeeping Manager was able to apologise and deal with the issues professionally

I have passed on your feedback to the team at the hotel for further training

I would also like ap
Zwevegem, Belgium
Reviewed 4 August 2014

old-styled English (big) hotel in green setting with private free carpark (the only good thing about this place). Focussing on parties, groups, functions and seminars; and not interested in individual tourists or business people. Reservations was not according to my requests (reservation coordinator couldn't care less) and reception staff tried everything to sort things out (thank you Alice!). You do not feel really welcome at Kenwood Hall. We met another belgian traveller who experienced the same thing (last year and this year again). Rooms are very noisy (doors, bathrooms, plumbing) and dated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Filip V
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations
The hotel is large and we do advertise that we specialise in conference and events although we endeavour to meet the needs of all of our whether individuals or people staying on business or pleasure
As explained at the time of your stay you had booked a particular room type via your booking agent as that was all which was available although in your comments you had requested an alternative choice. The reservation agent did contact you numerous times prior to your stay to advise that your preference could not be accommodated due to availability although your orginal booking did still remain to allow you to look for alternative choices. I can only apologise that we could not amend your booking to your preferred room type

Lorraine Lockwood

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

lincoln
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the forth trip to the Kenwood Hall and quite honestly I cant see were the poor reviewers are talking about. We stayed in our preferred room on the 4th Floor which gave us wonderful views over Sheffield and the gardens.I cant believe the poor comments as nothing is to much trouble for the staff, Breakfast is first class, the swimming pool was lovely and warm as was the Jacuzzi. The hot water in the room was very hot no matter what time of day and the bed was very comfortable. If it had a downside the restaurant menu lets it down as £14 for as burger is to steep so we ate out which wasn't a problem for us just a shame as we would like to have given the hotel something back.Cant wait to go again. No noise from adjoining rooms which is a good thing even though there were 2 wedding parties staying everyone was very respectful of other people staying.

Room Tip: If you like quirky rooms request the old part of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your extensive review of the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed yet another stay with us and was able to take full advantage of the hotel and the facilties.

I have passed on your feedback regarding the menu choice and pricing as it is a corporate menu throughout the group and is competive within the industry

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It was a lovely summer's evening and we live in Nether Edge so we thought we would go down the road to the beautiful grounds of Kenwood Hall for our dinner. It didn't start well as we were told we couldn't eat outside. Then we were given the bar menu and told to go to the bar to order. There were dirty table and chairs outside but we carried on. The restaurant is actually metres from the outside furniture so I'm not sure why you can't have the restaurant menu. Anyway we looked at the Bar Menu - very limited mostly burgers and sandwiches - all very expensive. We ordered fish & Chips - £14 and a prawn sandwich £8.50. I waited for a long time at the bar to order drinks - three staff came to the bar and went away without serving me. When I asked the third person to serve me they said they'd be back. Shouldn't a bar be staffed especially if there is no service outside. The food was mediocre and over-priced. The following day I went to the Norfolk Arms where I had superior fish and chips at half the price.
This is an absolutely fabulous location the menu needs to reflect that. If it did local people would be there constantly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise about the service
Please be assured this is not our normal standards and I have passed on your comments to both the restaurant & operations manager for further investigation
Thank you for bringing to my attention

Ardingly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

HI there,

I stayed with my wife 21st-23rd July for our daughter’s graduation; unfortunately our stay was less than average.

Check-in was okay although somewhat prolonged so fortunately you weren’t busy at the time and then we were shown to our room which was way over the other side of the hotel in the old wing and although a much larger room, it really wasn’t worth the £35- extra per night that I paid. The room was seriously deficient in 3 pin plug sockets, instead having a multitude of really old-fashioned round pin sockets that were completely useless so we had to make do with the few new sockets, none of which were sited next to the bed.

I was very disappointed that there was no fridge and was given some odd story about a fridge catching fire and upon that they had been removed from every room; that doesn’t explain or excuse the fact that they hadn’t been replaced. This was a real shame as we had a bottle of champagne that we brought with us to take out and celebrate with our daughter for our second evening but I didn’t feel confident to give it to your bar staff to chill it for me due to our experience in your restaurant explained below. We showered to cool down but of course only had the hand-soap to use as housekeeping had omitted our shower-gel.

We went to use the leisure club but before this, since no iron had been provided, my wife requested Housekeeping leave one in the room. When we returned 3 hours later, after having had a quite unenjoyable afternoon having to listen to a load of cooing mothers and their screaming brats in the pool that had no outdoor access at all to use, which was disappointing, especially since we couldn’t escape from the mayhem and just relax outside in the warm sunshine on some sun-loungers. Instead we were trapped or had to go into the sauna or steam-room which were packed due to other adults also trying to escape the pandemonium. Eventually we gave up and went to the bar and took our drinks to enjoy around the lake. This was short-lived as some poor old chap tripped over his fishing rod and lay dazed on the ground the other side of the lake and had to wait until we rushed over to him to help him up. He was obviously suffering from heat-stroke as he was showing signs of sunburn all over his exposed arms and told me that he had been there for about six hours. Quite incredibly, you have no emergency phone linked to your reception so if somebody fell into your lake, by the time even a fit person had run up the steep bank back to the hotel, that person might have drowned. This is quite RIDICULOUS especially since this is your own private lake! I had to run back to the hotel to inform your staff and bring him back a glass of water and then when your staff arrived we eventually left them to deal with it as I assumed that they were First Aid trained.

After we returned to our room, no iron had been provided so again my wife had to call. Eventually an iron was brought but after persevering with it, it was obvious that it was broken so again she had to call and wait more time for an iron that worked to be forthcoming which eventually happened. We met our daughter in the lobby and had some drinks then went in for dinner. Earlier in the afternoon I had given a bottle of champagne to somebody working on the restaurant booking’s desk, gave him my room number and asked him to ensure that it was chilled for our 8pm dinner and he said he would pass it onto the relevant department; when I ordered our drinks, the barman THEN told me that there would be a corkage charge. I have no problem with a corkage charge and would never expect to be served my own wine without paying for it, but it was obvious when we came to our table, that he had waited until seeing me to advise me of this and ask if it was okay, instead of calling me in my room, as the champagne was barely cool, let alone chilled which would take several hours and as evidenced by the bucket of water rather than ice that it had been placed in. This all became apparent when I tasted my champagne. Tattinger should be served at an optimum temperature of 6 degrees and this was probably double that so it was pretty apparent that the champagne had only been chilled when I approved the corkage charge. I was never told that it was £12- but paid it anyway. I then had to ask twice for the bucket to have ice added. Instead of pouring the water out, the waitress just added some cubes which also soon melted but at least the water that my lovely champagne was floating in was now a little cooler so that we could gain a little pleasure from it. The meal itself was adequate although how you justify charging so much for what appeared to be a shrivelled six ounce steak that was quite tough and very much medium than a juicy medium rare, is beyond me. We didn’t bother to complain as I have had bad experience of this with your standard of hotel in the past. When it was time for desert I had to remind our waiter that we were on a Groupon as he brought us the wrong menus and had we selected from those, would have been charged. When the bill was brought, the breakdown was ridiculously confusing and instead of two of our meals being free as they were included, they were shown along with our daughter’s. When I queried this, the waiter explained that this is how things are done and that I would only get charged the correct amount, so in other words I had to trust your system. All your bill should have shown was the breakdown with a complete reduction for the two included meals, leaving just our daughter’s meal and the corkage. Very inefficient.

When we returned to our room, which was of course very hot as you only have fans and no aircon and the windows only open about 2cms, it was boiling, but after showering we retired to bed and to watch some TV. I noticed that the TV was a modern one (which was surprising) and had a USB port on the back and since I had brought a memory stick with me with some of our programs on it, I plugged it in and it powered up fine. Unfortunately, despite being provided with TWO remote-controls, neither of them had the option to control the USB port since neither were the original remote for the TV. By this time I was really hot and bothered and had to shower in cold water with soap again, gave up with the TV and went to sleep which was restless due to the rattling of the fan.

Breakfast on Tuesday was okay and although several items were in short supply, these were replenished quite quickly, although to contradict your menu, I certainly wouldn’t describe the bacon as ‘crispy’ as it was all still really soft and fatty. Quite unappetizing. We spent the whole day out at The University of Sheffield (daughter got a 1st with Distinction in Modern Languages. So proud!) and had a poor evening meal at Loch Fyne (another story) so after a nightcap, retired to bed. The following morning, breakfast was like a scene from Fawlty Towers! There was chaos and mayhem at every turn and clearly the few staff who were working (different from the previous morning) were insufficient for a packed dining room and poorly trained. Our assigned server first brought new china and crockery without clearing our table first, then proceeded to wipe all of the crumbs directly onto the floor, THEN he sprayed a little disinfectant here and there onto the table, wiped around our new crockery a little bit and wandered off. We were aghast but what could we do as the few unused tables were also either uncleared or really grimy looking, so we endured. Trying to get anything to eat was a joke as pretty much everything was empty and the few staff were having a torrid time trying to clear tables and seat people or rushing around like headless chickens not achieving much. Nobody appeared to be in charge. Breakfast took ages due to the lack of food and despite asking for more tea and toast on several occasions, it wasn’t forthcoming and since there wasn’t a facility to make your own, we just gave up. The bacon was even worse; it appeared to have that white phlegmy looking fat that accumulates when an oven isn’t hot enough and the ‘sizzling sausages’ looked anaemic and flabby. The cold meats were crispy around the edges (old) and the cheese was warm and soggy. A campylobacter nightmare just waiting to explode later in the day! The porridge was the consistency of cement and should have been used in the numerous cracks and holes apparent all over your hotel as a cheap repair material. All absolutely disgusting.

I knew that checkout was at 11am but having retired to our room in order to escape the breakfast room, I was very shocked when housekeeping came knocking on our door at 10-40, even though we had put out our DND sign, not that we really wanted to stay too much longer but our train wasn’t until 12-30pm and we had to wait for our daughter to meet us. When we checked out, I didn’t bother to query the charge for dinner as there was enough confusion already with several other guest’s bills, so we just paid and bade Fare Thee Well!

I will not be recommending your hotel and all I can say is that I am so glad mine was a Groupon deal as others were obviously paying full price for 2 star service and facilities. All I can hope is that you address these issues as your hotel is in a beautiful location but the old part of your hotel needs refurbishment, the leisure facilities need to be reviewed and your staff in all departments need more rigorous and ongoing training.

Room Tip: I cannot advise on the new rooms but old rooms have few square-pin plug sockets and are very warm in...
2 Thank Michael M
Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your stay.
I have passed on your comments to the various managers concerned for further investigation and training