“A good holiday”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ironbridge
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“A good holiday”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Tontine is situated in a most prominant position opposite the famous Iron Bridge. The Hotel has a good history but, unfortunately, the building inside is now looking a little tired and in need of a lot of renovation to bring it up to the standard I would expect of such a large and important hotel in such a prominant position. The staff were very friendly and the room clean and tidy but the hotel could do with more than a lick of paint.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Managed to get a whole weekend away from the children and decided to stay at the tontine hotel, when I turned up I found the staff very helpful the lady who greeted me took me to my room which I found to be clean and tidy, I decided to have the breakfast which consisted of full English, cereal and no end of toast which you toast yourself ( not a bad thing I may add as then you don't have to have toast that has been sat around going cold) and no end of coffee always a plus side when you wake up in the morning, and as I had stayed there for the whole weekend I even got a free carvery on the Sunday which was to die for everything was cooked from fresh and the roast potatoes where the best I have ever tasted ( sorry mom) all in all I found the whole weekend very nice and will be going again and I can't wait, I have never met such nice friendly staff that can't do enough for you

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

The Tontine Hotel is a very good place to stay! I stayed for 3 nights and had an excellent experience. The rooms were very nice and clean and tidy! the staff were very polite and deal with any issues you had straight away. The breakfast in the morning was really good and I enjoyed it, you can have a full English breakfast and unlimited toast and coffee. I also got a free carvery on the Sunday because I had stayed for the whole weekend. I was very pleased with my stay! Thank you very much to the staff and the manager for making my weekend special! I would highly recommend this place to friends and family as its such an amazing place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

First of all I would like to point out that the Tontine is actually more of a Public House/ B & B than a hotel. On entering we were greeted by a very friendly member off staff who offered to carry our bags up to our room which was located on the first floor. The room itself was very pleasant with all the usual facilities and it was right opposite the ironbridge itself. What a view.!!! On the evening the bar was quite busy with drinkers and as we wanted to eat we were told that we could either dine in the bar or eat upstairs in the breakfast room/restaurant. We chose to eat upstairs as it was alot quieter. We were the only ones up there but were informed that most people tend to eat in the bar. At around 10.30pm the public bar had pretty much emptied as we were told most people tend to go down the road to a live music venue. We stayed in the bar and had a couple of great real ales with the landlord who was very hospitable. Breakfast was served between 8 and 9 and consisted of cereals/juice, a full english and unlimited toast and coffee. After breakfast we were told that as we were in for 3 nights over the weekend we were entitled to a comlimentary carvery lunch on Sunday. This was a pleasant suprise but were told it does state this on the website. We must have missed it. What can I say, the carvery was fantastic. Probably the best ive ever had. Overall we had a lovely weekend and i can only say thank you and we will definately be back.

Room Tip: Just try the carvery
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
shrewsbury
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My sister and I wanted to go and visit Ironbridge and have a relaxing little break. We stayed at the Tontine which really made the weekend.

From the minute we walked in to the minute we left the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We were shown to our rooms which were beautifully clean and comfortable. The food was delicious and excellent value for money. We found the bar staff to be extremely polite as were the locals. Everybody was very friendly and welcoming.

The Tontine had so much character which really suited the area in and around the gorge.

Staying at the Tontine was an absolute joy and we will definitely be going back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
birmingham
Reviewed 16 April 2012

what a great place, stayed here for the first time and loved it. the rooms are quaint and comfortable, (i dont like cardboard box rooms) the breakfast was great and set us up for the day. the staff were freindly and helpfull, and the choice of ales was excellent, great weekend and will be coming back for more.

Room Tip: rooms to the front, great views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
queensland
Reviewed 1 April 2012

stayed a single night in Ironbridge Gorge at the Tontine, and it wasn't the best night. Our room was right above the doorway to the hotel, so all the smokers from the pub came out and talked, drank, and swore until late. As the hotel is so old, their isn't any sound protection, so we heard every word, (I learnt a few new words too!), form below, and the room next door. The room was small, tired, and need of some TLC.
Breakfast was the most basic we have seen, instant coffee, no fruit, just toast you cook yourself and some packet cereal.
Free wifi is good in the public areas, not the rooms. It is directly opposite the Iron Bridge, and a few alms from the museums. There is free parking in the adjacent council car park.

Room Tip: a room on the top floor may be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Johnandcath
tontine1, Owner at The Tontine Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for you recent review. I fully understand the point about the smokers. In an ideal world we would install double glazing but unfortunately this is a grade 2* listed building so it is not allowed. However we are currently introducing a new smoking area at the side of the building.
I am unsure as to what u mean by "late" as generally we close the doors to the public between eleven and twelve. I would not consider this to be a late bar. During the week Ironbridge is very quiet but it can get a bit lively at the weekend with visitors who like to pubcrawl along the pubs by the river. We find that by ten oclock everyone has moved away from here to the other end of Ironbridge where they have live music. However people do sometimes have to pass this hotel on the way back home. Although it is an irregular occurance it does happen and unfortunately I cannot control the flow of traffic past the building.
I do not understand the point about the rooms being tired looking. However I do believe that everyone has particular tastes and as much as we would like to, you cant please everyone.
You must remember that this building is over 200 years old and floorboards will creak and walls will not be 100% straight. Its full of character and if this is not what you want then i would suggest a Travel Lodge perhaps.
The main point of my reply this review is the comments about the breakfast. Our breakfast is a full English breakfast as advertised. When booking the guest is asked if they would like breakfast . If they do the charge is only approx £3.00 per person. For that price you get a choice of 2 cereals, a full english breakfast, unlimited toast with jams/marmalade and unlimited tea/coffee. Where else could you possibly get all that for £3.00 ???????. If people do have special dietry requirements or maybe just want something different just let us know on booking and we will go out of our way to help you. Thanks again for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Ironbridge hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ironbridge
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge
The Swan hotel smoke and taphouse
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Bridge View Guest House
Bridge View Guest House
#1 of 9 in Ironbridge
The Bird in Hand Inn
The Bird in Hand Inn
#2 of 9 in Ironbridge

Been to The Tontine Hotel? Share your experiences!