“Brilliant food at a great price in a gorgeous setting!”
Review of Restaurant Severn

Restaurant Severn
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Ironbridge
Price range: US$28 - US$47
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our desire is to bring to our customers the best produce, sourced locally where possible in an interesting way using modern techniques. Our food is a mixture of modernised British classics and our interpretation of some wonderful European dishes. We've brought a range of wines from Europe and the wider world to give our diners a truly memorable experience. Whether a special occasion or "just because" we hope you enjoy your experience with us and look forward to serving you.
Reviewed 1 April 2011

My boyfriend and I ate at Restaurant Severn whilst on a weekend break in Ironbridge. It did not disappoint! All I can say is I really wish there were more restaurants like this one around! We were welcomed by a smiling waitress who promptly gave us menus, got us drinks and served us some canapés. Our order was taken promptly but we didn’t feel rushed at all. The restaurant was full so we expected a wait before our starters but we were served in approximately 10 minutes.

To start I had the wild mushroom soufflé, it was light and very flavoursome. My boyfriend had the black pudding which was also brilliant. There was so much flavour in each dish and the portion size was perfect.

For main I had the three flavours of Wenlock Pork. The dish was perfectly cooked with a brilliant portion of vegetables, which were fresh, local and perfectly cooked. My boyfriend had the Gressingham duck which was pink in middle and so tender.

For dessert I had the sticky toffee pudding and my boyfriend chocolate torte. As well as the rest of the meal the desserts were amazing!

I think the thing that makes the place stand apart from the rest is the skill the chefs clearly have, the use of seasonal and local products and the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. I really cant recommend this place enough and all of this for £27.95. It costs more to have three courses one of the many pubs and does not compare! I felt like I was eating in a Michelin start restaurant without the pretence or cost!

I highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank JoH_11
hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Thank you for your kind comments we hope you will visit us again when you are next in Shropshire Eric and Beb Bruce

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We went to Severn tonight as it was recommended by the place we were staying at nearby. It was a most enjoyable experience and the food was authentic and non-pretentious. From the start I sensed it would be good as I could easily have had any of the main course dishes on the menu (unusual for me). I went for starter of prawn cocktail (yes - a bit 70's retro - but it still does it for me washed down with a crisp Sauvignon). My wife had King Scallops - which were fine. So - a good start - then then main courses came which were exceptional. Slow cooked rib of beef - which was incredibly tender - with a brisket like flavour - delcicious. My wife had lamb and gnawed the cutlets to the bone. Deserts well executed - STP for her and Apricot/Almond tart for me with full flavoured Calvados ice - cream. Coffee and petit 4's. I remarked at the end "better than Le Gavroche" - and it was!! Paid £90 for the 3 courses, 1 bottle of red, 2 glasses of white, aperitifs and coffees.

1  Thank Snorbenseater

Thank you for your generous comments we hope to see you again soon Eric and Beb Bruce

Reviewed 11 March 2011

On our visit to Ironbridge we went for an evening meal at Restaurant 7. The menu was varied and our food served in a friendly and efficient manner. I cannot rate this restaurant highly enough for the high quality food, wine and the excellent value and service.

Looking forward to our next visit.

hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you rhoda for your nice review I have just found it as we actually spell ourselves like the river rather than the number your comments are most welcome and do motivate us, I hope you will visit us again from Bury St Edmunds we actually lived in Attleborough for 5 years and my parents in Thetford so we know your area well thank you again Eric & Beb chef patrons

Reviewed 1 June 2010

had sunday lunch,both of us are chefs so we are very critical.The food was excellent and good prices,shall be going again

2  Thank Thecaterer

thank you for your very nice review we do appreciate it. Eric and Beb Bruce

Reviewed 7 October 2009

I visited Restaurant Severn with my wife on 16th September 2009. The restaurant is modestly sized but well set out. The entrance is at the rear of the building and leads into a small bar area next to the kitchen. We were the first customers to arrive that evening and we were greeted with a warm welcome by the chef and the other staff. We chose to have our drinks at our table, but could have stayed by the fire in the bar area if we wanted.

It was a Wednesday evening so the restaurant was offering its Harmony Menu and as a mid-week promotion - the prices were £21.95 for two courses or £23.95 for three. The restaurant is closed on both Monday and Tuesday.

To accompany our drinks we were brought complimentary olives and “nibbles” which were some lovely lamb spring rolls. There is also complimentary homemade bread – we were given a choice of sun-dried tomato, granary or white bread. All looked delicious.

For starters, I opted for the chicken liver and whisky parfait with red onion marmalade and melba toast. My wife chose the mushroom soufflé which was garnished with crispy leeks. Both dishes were very tasty and well presented.

My main course was fillet of beef Wellington with haggis (not pate) and served with Madeira sauce, accompanied by potato rosti. My wife decided on the boneless saddle of Welsh lamb with rosemary sauce, served with Dauphinoise potato. Both of us had an individual side dish of freshly cooked vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower cheese, potato, green beans and a dish made of layered root vegetables. I have to say my beef was the best I have ever tasted! I like my meat to be cooked through - and this was. The layer of haggis was just enough and was a great idea that worked very well. My wife is not a big fan of meat and would happily be vegetarian, but her lamb was cooked to perfection and she too said it was some of the best she had ever eaten.

Regrettably, we were both too full to have one of the desserts, so just had a liqueur coffee. This was accompanied by a selection of home made petit fours – all excellent.

We were so impressed with both the quality of the food and the value for money, that we booked again for the following night! Again, I had the chicken liver parfait, but my wife was determined to have a dessert so she skipped the starter. My main course was breast of Bressingham duckling which was extremely well cooked and tasty. My wife had tasted my beef Wellington the night before so chose that – the first beef she has eaten in over fifteen years! – so tender and flavoursome.

The dessert my wife chose was the dark Belgium chocolate and coffee torte with Tia Maria cream. This was a thick, creamy dark chocolate mousse on a very thin sponge base, which had been soaked in Tia Maria – heavenly!

We cannot recommend this restaurant more highly – the food is outstanding and the best value for money, the staff are friendly and the service is excellent. If you are anywhere near Ironbridge and love good food, this is the place to go!

2  Thank Phil26

thank you for your kind comments it was our first review.