“Excellent value”

Restaurant Severn
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Ironbridge
Price range: US$28 - US$48
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our desire is to bring to our customers the best produce, sourced locally where possible in an interesting way using modern techniques. Our food is a mixture of modernised British classics and our interpretation of some wonderful European dishes. We've brought a range of wines from Europe and the wider world to give our diners a truly memorable experience. Whether a special occasion or "just because" we hope you enjoy your experience with us and look forward to serving you.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent value, beautiful food, service always very good and all staff pleasant and welcoming.

Seriously recommend you try.

Do book

hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Pat P Thank you for your lovely review & really nice comments I read the other review you kindly gave us & thought to tell you we are doing our gourmet nights again the next one is on Wednesday the 17th of September. Thank you once more Eric & Beb chef patrons.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Went there last night and they had been told that their electricity was going to be cut off about 9:30 as there had been a fire next door. Even though they were working under pressure the food and service were excellent. The staff were efficient and courteous and kept a sense of humour despite the difficulties. We'll definately eat here again.

hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear PTH96 Thank you for your super review & supporting us on a very traumatic Saturday evening . At 5.30 pm two fire engines turned up to the museum shop next door after a reported smell of burning there was no fire found but the power provider was summoned to investigate, they came to the conclusion they would have to dig up the pavement & at 6pm informed me they would turn off all power to us & another two restaurants at 6.30 pm. exactly the time our first table was booked! , After much heated debate (no pun intended) I managed a stay of execution till 8.45 pm. They seemed to have no understanding or comprehension of the disruption & disappointment it would have caused to our customers, My wife then phoned everyone that was not already on the way & requested they get to us asap & please bring cash in case the card machine was down . You all responded brilliantly & by 8.15 we were sending out our last main course . As a postscript it took them till 9.00pm to dig the hole & they then informed me it was unnecessary to turn off the power at all !. The girls out front coped admirably ,but I have rarely been so worried & stressed. Thank you once more for the review & hope to welcome you back in better circumstances (perhaps our candle lit dinner !!) Eric & Beb chef patrons.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Visited last week, Food was superb good range of choice, friendly staff. Nothing was to much trouble. Eat here you will not be disappointed.

I find it amazing that people complain about the cost. If anything it is to cheap for the standard of food. You can have a 3 course meal at a pub and it will cost you almost the same, around the £25-30 bracket. Whilst the food might be good at those pubs (but not in all cases) Its not as good as this.

If you like great food thats not heated in a microwave or out of a bag. Then eat here it well worth it.

Dear Mr MGHand Thank you so much for another great review and for your compliments re food & service. Thank you also for your comment re price we do try to be competitive & being very small we have many of the costs but not the revenue of larger places what we do do is tell customers the price of our menu for three courses regardless of what you choose ( two course option midweek) so you know that, that is the price you will pay so for example if you started with king scallops ,then had fillet of beef for main ,followed by cheese board you would not pay any extra for your meal . We ate yesterday in a restaurant of a similar standing to us & there was a £9.00 supplement if you had cheese rather than dessert..
Thank you once more & hope to see you again soon Eric & Beb chef patrons.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

It seems to be a running trend on this website that it’s easy for you’re expectations to run away with yourself, only to be rather underwhelmed by the overall experience, which really is no fault of the restaurant itself.

Undoubtedly this is a really good restaurant, which I would recommend, but we both just felt underwhelmed by the food, and thought it was quite expensive. It’s obviously an extremely popular restaurant, which is also a good sign of quality, but for me there was a bit of magic and sparkle missing and overall it would be a good 7 out of ten from me.

Invariably when I visit restaurants again, they usually surpass my realistic expectation, and I’m sure this will be the case when I return to Restaurant Severn in the future.

1  Thank Claire G
hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Claire G thank you for taking the time to post your review I'm sorry we did not meet with your high expectations as I have said previously the comments on trip advisor are individuals views & no one can please everyone, we are an intimate neighborhood restaurant suitable for a romantic or special occasion we are not a Saturday night clubby all singing & dancing operation. Reading your other reviews of Ironbridge I notice you also rate The Deli-Dale & Eighty-Sixed both average they are voted number two & Three places to eat in Ironbridge on Trip advisor, Knowing both businesses I find that a bit harsh as the owners of both work exceedingly hard to be above average. Thank you once more Eric & Beb chef patrons

Reviewed 13 July 2014

visited a few times, food is always great and fantastic service too, there was a problem with one dish and they sorted it out straight away - brilliant service.

1  Thank Laurad6848
hammer49shropshire, Owner at Restaurant Severn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Laura D 6848 Thank you for taking the time to review Restaurant Severn & your nice comments re food & service I'm sorry you had a problem with one dish I have not been aware of any issue recently so perhaps the girls out front sorted it themselves. Re being pricey this does touch a nerve, we have not changed our menu price for over two years, midweek for £27.95 you receive canapes olives home made bread and a three course menu with several choices on each course with no supplements, take off 20% vat thats £22.36 Friday Saturday £2.00 more from that we have to buy all the food pay the staff ,gas ,electricity,rent ,rates ,insurance ,transport, phone & computer charges, maintenance , card terminal fees ,plus numerous other things, whilst endeavouring to provide two rosette food & service. If we employed someone to wash up during the daytime ,or chefs to help we would have closed years ago . Running a small restaurant is a very fine balance between profit & loss & giving value for money with good service An analogy I would use is customers pay more in Sainsburys than a discounter but your shopping is not just chucked into the trolley with only one till open. Sorry to go on but its a pet topic & having just done our annual tax return not many would work for the amount myself & Beb earned. Thank you once more for your positive review & do hope we welcome you back again. Eric & Beb chef patrons.