“Great place for lunch and a very honest happy ending”
Review of The Malthouse

The Malthouse
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Ironbridge
Price range: US$7 - US$32
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2015 via mobile

So, I would have given the Malthouse a 4/5 anyway based upon the excellent food and service. But my stupidity has moved my rating to a 5/5. Having visited Blists Hill and looking for a place for lunch we park up and stroll up to the Malthouse. I must say I was a little put off the red and black decor but please don't let this affect your judgment if you too don't find it too pleasing to the eye. But hubby was starving and the menu looked fine. I must say the Burger was outstanding (obviously home made), fat chips were perfect and the fish and chips could have fed a family of 4! Service friendly and efficient. But the final star came when I got home and couldn't find my purse. The only thing I could think was that I had left it there and sure enough when I called a very friendly guy told me that had noticed that I had left it soon after we had left and came out looking for me. I went back the following day to collect, all intact and I couldn't thank them enough so I left a little thank you payment. Most places you would never have seen the purse again but as they were so efficient in cleaning tables they had obviously spotted it. Thanks Malthouse, we shall be back both for delicious food and honest service.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

After a bad experience at the Huntsman, we drove to the Malthouse and what a difference, First we were greeted as we entered with a cheery Hi Guys, how can we help you? It was about 5pm and we asked for a table for 6 people. No problem, use this one, we need it back by 8. The menu was extensive, the wine list varied and the serving staff so very friendly. Our meals all came together, it was hot and totally delicious. As this was my birthday weekend we even had 2 bottles of prossecco!! After the bad start at the Huntsman, this establishment proved that excellent service is out there, and the Malthouse is testimony to it. Thanks all.

Reviewed 17 May 2015

The Malthouse is situated along 'The Wharfage' in Ironbridge just a short walk down from the bridge itself. The restaurant has outdoor seating at the front and catches the sun in the evening so a really nice spot to eat outside.
The interior design is quite snazzy with a red contemporary theme although i don't think it really does the building justice... that is a personal opinion though and there was nothing wrong about the restaurant at all; very clean, modern and pleasant staff.
So my partner and I ordered a couple of the 'Creamy chicken and smoked bacon pies' and some beer and then sat outside in the sun and awaited our food. It was quite a quiet evening and our food arrived in about 15 minutes. The pie appeared very appetising with a light browned pastry and a side of al dente vegetables and very big chips!
The pie went down a treat with lots of flavour, plenty of seasoning and nice chunks of chicken and pieces of bacon. I really took my time with the pie just to make it last that bit longer!
The only issue I had eating outside was that the chair I was on was rather uncomfortable and could've done with a cushion.
We skipped the pudding and decided on a walk along the river instead. The pie cost under £9 and comes on the pub food section of the menu although there is plenty of choice on the mains section as well. For a really nice home-cooked pie the price was very reasonable and would certainly encourage me to re-visit for a meal in the future.

If your looking for good priced, home-cooked food in a fantastic location then The Malthouse is one I would recommend.

Reviewed 14 May 2015

We visited on a mid afternoon weekday. Quite busy on a chilly though very sunny day, pleased to find quite an extensive selection of dishes and most people were eating which is always a good sign. We had a lovely window table and were greeted almost at once by a very friendly staff member ( Jamie ?) who took our drinks order, which arrived promptly. Whilst we were waiting for our food to arrive we inspected the very old pub which has been decorated in a deepish red colour, quite popular in this area in period properties - suited the place and lifted it out of the bland category. The food was excellent, well cooked and well presented and tasted great, no room for pudding but I was very tempted by the unusual selection on offer.The staff here are very helpful and very friendly. Final note for the Ladies, the loo is lovely and very clean/fresh.

Reviewed 12 May 2015

Visited on Sunday evening - shown to table by waitress who clearly didn't want to be there. Unfortunately we had to remind her of something she had forgotten and she made it patently obvious that she resented having to wait at tables. A waiter brought our meals and my wife's vegetarian meal was very good. I had ribs which had to be pulled from the bone - you should be able to lift the meat from the bone easily but not so with these. Decided not to complain because it's perhaps personal preference how ribs are cooked. We then went on to order coffee. What was served to us can only be described as warm washing up water. We asked the waiter what the problem was with the coffee and he said he didn't know - he thought it was freshly made but as it was not drinkable we doubted this. He said it would be deducted from the bill. When we arrived at the till to pay, a different waiter gave us real attitude when we pointed out that the cost of the coffee needed to be deducted. Personally think management here should take a hard look at what this establishment is providing, both in terms of customer service and food.