“Lovely produce but overpriced and disappointing breakfast”
Review of Ludlow Food Centre

Ludlow Food Centre
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Ludlow
More attraction details
Owner description: British Cheese Awards winners in 2017 for a range of products, Farm Shop & Deli Awards Food Hall of The Year 2016, Great Taste Awards Shop of the Year 2015, Britain's Best Food Hall 2014 and Winner of the UK's Best Farm Shop Award 2013. Ludlow Food Centre provides a unique shopping experience where farming, food production and retailing come together to create a very special environment. Watch half of the shop’s produce being created through windows into the production kitchens; see cheese, butter, yoghurt and ice-cream being made using milk from the Estate’s own cows, fresh bread made daily in the onsite scratch bakery and jams and pickles handmade on site. There is also an extensive and knowledgeable butchery selling estate reared meat, deli and coffee roasting room. 80% of the produce sold is sourced from Shropshire and the surrounding counties. The site also offers a gift shop, picnic area and children’s play area, and is also home to Ludlow Kitchen and the award-winning The Clive Restaurant
Cardiff
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Lovely produce but overpriced and disappointing breakfast”
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

I met my parents here a few weeks ago early on a Saturday morning and all three of us were hungry. We decided to go for breakfast in the cafe. I ordered a full breakfast and my parents ordered some walnut toast with honey and three coffees. The bill was an astonishing £21.55

My full breakfast (£7.00) came and for the the price was very disappointing. One tiny sausage, one tomato, one poached egg, a slive of toast and a bacon rasher that was more fat than meat. (See photos). If I was to visit again I would pop in to Ludlow and go toa cafe for a better value breakfast.

We then ventured in to the food hall. The varied produce is first class but again slightly overpriced. They have a great eclectic selection. The meat counter is great serving quality local produce. The fruit and veg section is also very good but very expensive.

I shop on a regular basis in the Cardiff Farmers market at is on the Taff Embankment every Sunday morning and find that produce is fairly priced and very good value.

I would visit the centre again but would limit my spending and would avoid the cafe.

1 Thank CardiffCymrocymraeg

Wetherby
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Watch the butcher or other experts preparing your food.”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

With everything on offer from gorgeous local meat to honey this is the place to shop for food and drink. There is also a café and ample parking. Do not miss out on this experience which is located slightly north of Ludlow town centre on the road to Shrewsbury at Bromfield.

Visited September 2012
Edward799, General Manager at Ludlow Food Centre, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for the kind words which I will pass on to our hard working team.
Edward Berry
Managing Director
Oxford, United Kingdom
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Easy to access and plenty of parking”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The 'Ludlow Food Centre' is an impressive new build next to a pub and just before/out of Ludlow - depending on your direction of travel.

There is always plenty of parking (free) and I've never had difficulty finding a seat when visiting the tea-room. Which has an array of delicious cakes, hot meals and sandwiches available.

The shop isn't cheap, I reserve it for bringing tourists and buying gifts, but there is lots to look at and admire - a bit of a 'foodie' heaven!

Visited July 2012
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Oh dear ...........”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

For several years now, Ludlow Food Centre cafe has been a "must" whenever we visit Ludlow, which we do every month or so. The service has always been excellent and the food has represented value for money. So what has happened? We visited a few weeks ago, just a few days after the Ludlow Food Festival. The staff and service were great, as always, but the food standards have definitely fallen. My partner and I each ordered sandwiches - he roast beef, I cheese. Usually they have comprised two large slices of bread, cut into 4 triangles, loaded with filling, accompanied by a small dish of horseradish or chutney, coleslaw, crisps and side salad. This time, there was no separate horseradish or chutney - it was spread thinly on the two tiny slices of bread. My cheese sandwich probably contained 25g of cheese. At £6.95 it was definitely not acceptable. The cafetiere of guatemalean coffee was excellent, and for that reason we will visit again, but in future we will eat at the Castle Tearooms in Ludlow, where the sandwiches are good value and, as a bonus, we can enjoy them with a glass of wine. Have Ludlow Food Centre sacrificed value for money in order to pay for their new garden centre? Very sad.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank 1204maggiemay
Edward799, General Manager at Ludlow Food Centre, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
I was extremely disappointed to read your entry recently and apologise unreservedly for the unsatisfactory sandwiches. This is not acceptable and I have discussed your complaint in detail with our cafe manager and his team. Please be assured that we have made no effort to reduce the size of our sandwiches, nor the contents. We have always aimed to offer value for money and an opportunity to enjoy that rare experience, food that is truly local. We bake our own bread, source all meat from our own herd and make our own cheeses. Should you return please do ask to meet Ben Crouch who arrived as Cafe Manager this week. Ben has considerable experience and looks forward to adding that special touch. I am delighted that you enjoy our coffee and we are constantly working to improve this being that extremely rare enterprise in roasting our own beans.
On the other points, we will very soon be adding a selection of wines as well as some local beers and ciders. I have to make one correction to your entry; The Plant Centre is operated by another company which has no relation to Ludlow Food Centre .
We look forward hopefully to welcoming you back.
Edward Berry
Herefordshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Sincere...”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The cafe is worth a visit
But the new seating arrangement is tricky if you turn up on your own.
How can you choose a table and order at the same time when busy?
Someone else may take the same place if there is more than one of them!!

1 Thank stonecurlew