“Decent meal”

The Charlton Arms Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Charlton Arms Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 92 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$16 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a decent meal here and excellent beer in the bar and the very comfortable lounge area. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

A "Huntsmans Platter?" I don't think so. 3 cream crackers? No butter? I didn't think it would be enough so I ordered a side of hummos with crudites. Less than half an eggcup of hummos and one carrot,approx 4inches cucumber, and a sliver of red pepper for £4. Totally inedible olives tasted as if they'd been marinated in vinegar. Not one thing on my,or my friend's, plate tasted even nice. The staff are friendly and efficient enough but the customer has to go upstairs before they find out that they have to go back down with a table number which isn't a very customer friendly system. This used to be a lovely place for a ploughmans or for a special lunch but not now. Apart from lovely views of the river I found nothing to commend this at all.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We had stopped going to the Charlton under the previous owners as it had got so bad. We heard about the new owners and thought we would give it another chance. A big mistake, it was different but not better, What I call an excess of style over substance. The two men had sirloin steaks which were well cooked but spoiled by bad butchering, the sinews and scrag end had not been trimmed. My wife had chicken forestiere which was probably the best choice, The chips were termed as "skinny" which I now know means dried up. For us one dish out of 4 plus average starters was not what we want. So sorry Charlton - no more for us

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great beer and well kept (Hobsons Bitter). But struggled to choose something simple for a light lunch. Disappointed there were no sandwiches or baguettes of the quality being served 2 years ago. I'm not a great fan of wraps and a little bucket of skinny chips. But there again I'm getting a little old fashioned in my old age.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Since it has been under new management we have visited half a dozen times because it never disappoints. The menu is not static and there is always plenty to tempt us. We have enjoyed the white bait, the tiger prawns and ox cheek hash.The wild mushroom ravioli and rump of lamb were quite delicious. if you order the chicken for Sunday lunch you will need a good appetite. The service is attentive and efficient. If you only want a bar snack or light meal there is also a good choice. And though the place has been re-freshed, the bar and its excellent range of beers have been retained. So it is both a great place to go and have just a pint of local beers or a meal.There is also a superb terrace with river views for outdoor drinking and eating.