“3 Essentials”

The Charlton Arms Terrace Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Charlton Arms Terrace Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 89 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$15 - US$27
Cuisines: British
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“3 Essentials”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After a few reports and knowing the past reputation of the new management/owners we decided a visit was a must. Our ratings are always governed by food standard, service and setting. The food we could not fault, the setting was lovely but as previous trip adviser reports the service was poor. We had to ask for drinks replenishment twice (meaning getting up from the table and finding someone!) as well as requesting the bill. The premises was not busy at the time although we suspected the day had been a busy one and therefore the waiting/bar staff were trying to clock off. If this is the case why take bookings for dinner between 8-9pm on a busy day. What a shame for the kitchen staff who obviously are doing a fine job.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank h0j03

London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing compared to last time”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I previously gave the Charlton Arms a raving review last year, but sadly even though I wasn't aware when I visited for dinner this weekend, it was obvious it was under new management. The menu was limited - a laminated A4R sheet which included lunch time light bites - I actually thought they had given us the wrong menu. The staff were reasonably efficient but didn't exactly ooze friendliness. I also agree with a previous reviewer, we must have had 4 or 5 staff serving us which was a bit off-putting as it's nice to build a rapport with the same waiter/waitress. They barely gave us time to sit down before asking what we wanted to drink, which was annoying as we hadn't even picked up the wine list. Also our table was so close to another table of diners that no one could get up from their seat without considerable movement of both chairs and tables from both parties.
The starters were uninspiring so my mum and I shared a Welsh Rarebit from their bar snack menu. However, this was so heavy on the mustard I couldn't eat it and had to swap it for my husband's bruschetta which his sardines were sitting on. My husband ordered sardines for starters, which he said were just like sardines straight from a tin, but warmed slighly. They would have been nicer if they had at least been grilled.
My mum ordered fish and chips but asked for no mushy peas or curry sauce - said mushy peas were still on her plate when it arrived. I ordered John Dory which was supposed to come with rice and vegetables but I asked for chips instead of rice - which they accommodated, however, they also missed off the vegetables. If I hadn't had John Dory before I wouldn't have been tempted to have it again after the dish I was served. The garlic butter was nice, but the consistency of the John Dory can only be described as 'slimy'. Again, I thought they could have at least crisped up the skin under the grill. My husband however did enjoy his burger (although would have preferred it on a plate rather than a wooden board).
No sooner had they cleared our dinner plates away then they were trying to take our dessert order. I know this is common practice in a lot of restaurants but personally I like a few minutes to let my food go down and when I said we weren't ready was greeted with a surly look by the waitress. My mum and I ordered the chocolate & toffee tart with mint choc chip ice cream, which was okay but the description was better than the finished article. Also I wouldn't call it a tart as it actually had a biscuit base. My husband ordered the cheeseboard and was disappointed by the poor and small selection of cheese offered.
Having previously had an abundance of staff trying to serve us it then took us ages to get the attention of a someone to request our bill.
The location is great but would I go back again - possibly, based on previous experience, but not in a hurry.

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a bit of a mixed review, I was really looking forward to our meal here and have wanted to visit for a little while, we have two young children, 4 & 9 and couldn't get a table until 1730 which wasn't a problem. We arrived a little early and on the off chance asked if our table would be ready earlier...we were quite abruptly told that dinner didn't start until 1730. We had a drink on the roof terrace which was lovely however had to tell a table to keep their language down twice due to my daughters being in earshot, not what I expected but I guess you can't help who goes and how they act in the company of families. We then were shown our table that was set for 5 and not the 4 we booked for, the menus came and started to make our choice of food, wine and soft drinks, the chicken parfait was good although presentation was a little bland and the crab toastie was over powered by the mustard I was now not so excited as to what the Sunday roast beef was going to like, I had nothing to worry about, all 4 of us had the roast and very much enjoyed it from start to finish. The creme brûlée was very good, however the dark chocolate tart with mint chocolate ice cream was fantastic, I mean really fantastic! We were enjoying our meal now, however the service wasn't great and not slick, there is nothing worse than having to answer various waiting staff the same questions their colleague has just asked us, we had up to 5 members of the team tend to us throughout our meal...really! My wife then wanted to try the cheese board as we weren't in a rush given it was a bank holiday weekend, my how we wished we never did, this is where the experience dipped again, I have never seen such an uninspiring cheese board, and for £7.50 I expected more than 3 tiny, and I mean tiny pieces of cheese accompanied by out of the packet biscuits and a few pieces of wilted celery with the same onion chutney I had with my starter, even when I told one of the 5 colleagues I was uninspired it was all he could muster that he would tell the chef...brilliant, no other comment given. I ordered coffee and then was asked another twice do I want coffee, not even a little biscuit to go with my double espresso. It then took nearly 15 minutes from the time I asked for the bill until I was able to pay for it. Would I go back, probably but I wouldn't rush back and I wouldn't go out of my way to tell friends and family to go and try it out.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Poor service and over cooked steak”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We went here for a evening meal. Our food order was taken, we were not asked if we would like anymore drinks. I had steak, although over cooked for medium overpriced for what food is on the plate . We were not asked if everything with our meal was ok I wouldn't be rushing back due to their poor service.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Peterdixon66
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, poor service!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Myself and a friend had booked for an evening meal on a Wednesday night. To start with the staff we very attentive, after both of us driving for almost an hour, the first thing I wanted was just a glass of water, more than happy they bought us a jug over. Our food order was taken, then delivered, no further offer of any different drinks were made, the food was lovely. I had steak, although slightly over cooked for my medium rare it was still very nice, my friend had ravioli, hers to was also very nice, but not much on either plate. Once the plates were cleared, very efficiently we were then not spoken to at all by any member of staff, we would have liked to see the sweet menu, but this was not offered nor were any further drinks. After waiting for around an hour and on numerous occasions attempting to get some ones attention we left the table to pay at the bar. Here although efficient, we were not asked if everything with our meal was ok, or thanked for our custom. So over all although the food that we had was good, I wouldn't be rushing back due to their poor service.

3 Thank JIcke