“One bad apple”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“One bad apple”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Having visited the Feathers on a number of occasions in the past, both for bar food and drinks, and always found excellent beer and bar service, I contacted them by phone to enquire about holding a future party there.
Firstly I was told by the woman I spoke to that she would pass on the details to the gentleman who deals with such things, and he would contact me. Nothing!
When I eventually managed to speak with the guy concerned, he seemed to have no interest, and was both dismissive and quite rude.
As a result we have decided not to hold the party at the Feathers! A great shame, when one member of staff lets the side down.

2 Thank IsaP672013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Cleobury Mortimer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I eat regularly here and I can honestly say we cannot fault the food. The hotel has a reputation of its own but it's the restaurant that brings us back over and over again!
The menu changes seasonally and the quality of the produce is wonderful. The head chef and his team do a fantastic job with flavours and the overall outcome is delightful.
My daughter got married here earlier this year and it was magical. The staff were fabulous and the chef couldn't of put on a better spread.
The price is more than you would pay at a standard pub or carvery but I'm a true believer in "you get what you pay for." The feathers restaurant is one of our favourites locally.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mrsfarmer39
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I have just been on my first UK coach tour which stayed at The Feathers for four nights. We have had a very pleasant stay and several reviewers have commented on the history of the hotel and Ludlow town. Once you get past the Jacobean façade and the 16th century panelled lounges, this is a pretty basic 3 star hotel (with 5 star bar and restaurant prices) and the standard double room was in need of some modernisation. Breakfast was very good with hot food prepared to order and there was an adequate continental selection available. Our group dinners were adequate at best and the Christmas Day meal was very poor - lukewarm with undercooked vegetables and a chocolate mousse that looked like something unmentionable. The service from a mainly young staff was warm, efficient and friendly - a great credit to the management. I would go again for its location as a touring base, but would probably dine out in future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian4
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had heard and read many good reports about The Feathers and it was mentioned by locals on our trip too. With that in mind we gave the bar meals a go and it was superb. On a cold November evening sat with a glass of real ale, surrounded by all the history and in front of a real log fire does take some beating! The food was excellent and plentiful, the young staff were attentive and the atmosphere truly enchanting.

2 Thank Puredodee
London
Reviewed 6 November 2013

It's totally stunning from the outside, but would the Feathers deliver on the inside? In short it did and it did so in spades. Before our stay, I read with some trepidation, complaints from T.A., contributors, that had a resonance with some of my own hotel experiences. However, from the moment we parked the car to check-out, things could not have been better.

Our room was in the newer annexe, to the rear of the hotel. So the complaints some visitors had regarding noise from the street at the front, wasn't an issue for us. It was one of the four-poster rooms and was very spacious. It had all the amenities one could wish for and they all worked just fine. It was also clean, apart from a couple of small splashes on the wall, adjacent to the coffee and tea making station. There were some signs of normal wear and tear. I mention this, only as some posters seem to think that rooms should remain in a pristine “just decorated” condition, ad infinitum.

All of the staff were excellent - and I mean excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and their work rate was quite astonishing.

Some of the public rooms are breathtaking. The English may have to “give the nod” to Europe, when it comes to working in marble but when dealing with wood, (and in particular oak), you'll find no better (IMHO) than on this island. At check-out, I told the receptionist how beautiful I found the upstairs public rooms and their wonderful Jacobean carvings. His reply summed up why the Feathers has to be top of the list, for anyone visiting Ludlow - “They are beautiful aren't they. You won't get that in a chain-hotel will you”? Amen to that!

Room Tip: 145 was quiet, spacious and comfortable.
1 Thank JandApe
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

A really charming hotel in a fantastic location to explore the lovely town of Ludlow.Our room was pretty average but had everything you needed,plenty of choice at breakfast and every member of staff were pleasant and helpful.I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wendy B
norfolk
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here in March on a five day coach trip, and loved it so much I have just come back from another one. It truly is an exceptional building.
I had a single room at the front last time which I loved, but I thought I would treat myself this time, and had a luxury one at the back. I went wow when I opened the door. A very big bedroom with a double bed, and my bathroom was big as well, with a walk in shower and spa bath.
It was well furnished and I spent a lot of hours relaxing in there. The staff are just so nice and helpful and always smiling, and sitting in front of a fire on our last night with a large glass of wine, I thought what could be better.
When we left the hotel I bought a book there all about the history of it for £10.00 which I shall enjoy reading. If you want to get away and want something with character, this is the place to go, and I find the people in Ludlow so easy going and friendly, its a place you could just keep going back to, so thanks again to all at The Feathers!

Room Tip: I think staying in any room here is just fantastic.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo