The Feathers at Ludlow
Ford Abbey(Pudleston)
  • Restaurant
The Longmynd(Church Stretton)
1,157 results
All reviewsfour poster bedcoach tripjacuzzi bathhistoric hotelcar parksecret escapes dealwriting roomcoach partylovely old hotelfirst floorold buildingpublic roomscreaking floorboardsa bit tiredbeautiful buildinghuge roomsteeped in history
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Aug1st great welcome quirky character hotel great food wonderful friendly staff with a very good sense of humour every where in hotel clean and tidy good car parking provided behind hotel situated centrally ideal for ludlow which is a lovely place nice shops great castle which overlooks town well done too the Feathers for such enthusiastic and friendly helpful staff thank you F. Thomas

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Celia.thomas T
Ian T, General Manager at The Feathers at Ludlow, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I will pass on your comments to the team.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Before I start this review please may I say to the management of the Feathers that the views are mine, so if I say something you disagree with please just accept that perception is the truth so dont retort they way you have to some of the less favorable reviews. HERE GOES.

The feathers is a beautiful historic building, and we are so lucky in this country to be able to stay in such buildings. The period pieces of the Hotel are fabulous, with a reading room that you expect a Tudor King or Queen to walk in the door with nothing changed form the Tudor period, the upstairs lounge is wonderful with window seats looking out to the high street, quaint with huge fireplaces, wood paneling all over , and low beamed ceilings to die for....the building is just amazing and steeped in History of that there is no doubt. The bar area, the restaurant area all very good and very comfortable and clean, one could sit outside in the very nice court yard in good weather , lots of tables and chairs and canopy shades if the weather gets to hot or if it rains.
The Breakfast was excellent very substantial and wonderful quality with local produce, We had full English each morning and was still not hungry until evening Dinner time.The service was quick and we had serve us two young waiters who are so pleasant and could not do enough to please, they were so good we actually left a tip after a breakfast for them.

We had a bar meal which was fish & Chips and it really was good value and excellent quality and again served with a smile. The head Bar man at the Hotel was lovely and each night we bothered him for Glasses of Ice and each time he went out of his way to please.

The Receptionist were very nice, efficient and helpful what more can we ask !!! Now all that said I would like to see some improvements, on paint work in the Bedrooms, behind our Bathroom Door the paint was all chipped and did not look good at all, we had a room with a patio door and the frame was filthy on the bottom just bad house keeping, BUT THE ROOM other than those things was very good. Plenty of Lights, storage space, electrical fittings, extra pillows (although not good quality ) TV was good, so all in all the Room is Good. The Rooms are very warm so ask for a fan in the summer months, we did and one was sent to our room immediately.

The car park is Free and is on a first come first served basis but that's what they tell you so its good that you are not disappointed, but we were lucky and got a space so that was good for us.

The Hotel offers free WI-FI so I think that's a massive plus, so well done for that one. The Hotel was completely full on our stay and you could still hear a pin drop so very peaceful. I would stay here again of course I would, and one cannot or should not be too fussy with such an old historic Hotel, If I was to stay in Ludlow again I would go straight to the Feathers, for superb Location, free WI-FI, Free parking, good food, good service..... I much prefer to stay in modern Hotels... but this is History... and I had a wonderful time thank you to all at the Feathers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the patio doors as the Hotel Rooms are very warm day and night and at least you can stand out on the balcony area...oh and ask for a fan.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FUSSYTRAVELLER57

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Feathers in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We specifically wanted the oldest rooms for our American visitors and neither we nor they were disappointed. Yes...the floors sloped, the windows were old and there were low beams...but that is all part of the experience. It was a very hot day/evening so the room was very warm, even with the windows open, but no noise from the pub over the road. A bit noisy at 5am when dustcart was about....but people would complain if bins were emptied in the middle of the day!
Staff could not have been more helpful, breakfast was excellent...and plenty of it.The residents lounge is really beautiful,full of atmosphere and spotlessly clean.
Very central for all Ludlow has to offer...would not hesitate to book again.
Our American guests remarked the following day.."We slept in a hotel last night that is older than our country!"

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pete S

Thank you for your review. It was nice to receive your positive comments.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was the first time I have stayed at the Feathers although not the first time I have been to Ludlow. Whilst I shall certainly return to Ludlow I very much doubt I will visit the Feathers again.
It is a lovely old building and has great character for the most part but the staff seemed to be largly lethargic and disinterested and there a delivery of Janitorial supplies were sitting in reception from our arrival, mid afternoon until we retied to our rooms at about 10:30pm! also the lift was our of order through our stay and some elderly guest were struggling with luggage up 2 flights of stairs. No offer of assistance was made.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rufus588
Ian T, General Manager at The Feathers at Ludlow, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that the housekeeping janitorial supplies that were tucked away opposite reception upset you. They had been delivered that afternoon and were taken upstairs late evening. Unfortunately the lift had broken down and we were awaiting the return of the engineer with a spare part thus the reason the janitorial supplies were not taken up the two flights of stairs on delivery.
We have been offering luggage assistance to elderly guests.
I know you were worried about the janitorial supplies but how was the food served at dinner and breakfast, how was your room, bar service, restaurant service and reception service? If living on our reputation revolves around some janitorial supplies left opposite reception it is very sad.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Well how the mighty are fallen. What a disappointment. Took a friend to show her the fabulous Feathers and was so embarrassed at the total lack of customer service.
Wanted a simple pot of tea and cake for three..... Well the cake came on a coffee saucer, when I asked for plates I was told they did not have any!!! When I asked for knives to cut the cake of which more later I again was told that they didn't have any. I asked for more milk, not sure why but it was rationed, and a pot of hot water was like asking for gold.
There were no scones and the couple of cakes very unappealing. The other choice was the usual repackaged cheap flapjacks you can by in the discount supermarkets.
I complained to the duty manager who was not very interested and when I said we would not come
again she seemed totally uninterested.
What a shambles, so sad that such a lovely hotel has lost it's way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Di J

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your visit. Normally the bar service is very good. The duty manager who was interested and an excellent member of the team did as she said she would and discuss the matter not only with the bar person concerned but also the bar manager to ensure we maintain a high level of service.
With regard to the cakes, it is a hotel bar that also serves tea and coffees and a limited range of cakes, we are not a tearoom.