“A little Gem!”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We travelled to Ludlow for a day out and stumbled upon this quaint little french restaurant for a lunchtime meal. We received excellent customer service alongside a delicious meal. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Searching on the internet for a place to eat in Ludlow, this Michelin rated restaurant seemed ideal with a menu that was definitely a good culinary read.
On arrival, we were shown to our table and I ordered a distinctly quaffable bottle of French merlot. My wife, who likes a spritzer asked for a lemonade but only the cloudy type was available...however the thoughtful young waiter offered a tonic water as an alternative. As we mulled over the menu, a delicious basket of 'moreish' warm bread was brought to the table. My wife chose a Crab Mousse dish, as a starter, which was absolutely delicious whilst my Salmon Strudel dish was decent if over salty. The caper sauce was a definite plus if a trifle thin.
Next came mains and my Magret of Duck on a bed of sauté potatoes was' in the pink' with a Prune Jus which proved a good combination. My only complaint about an enjoyable 'mains' was that the duck was lukewarm. Meanwhile, my wife's 'rare breed of pork' was served up, as described, as a stew. To be frank, the tag 'rare breed' conjured up flavoursome 'wild boar' type meat but it failed to deliver as the meat was decidedly 'supermarket basics' bland. She also felt that the 'pommes frites' were not the right type of medium to accompany a stew.
We passed on the puddings but instead ordered a cream coffee each..mine being a 'liqueur' variety. Unfortunately for me ,apart from Amaretto, the liqueur cupboard was bare without a Marie Brizard in sight!
At £20 for two courses(although my duck came with a £3 supplement), the meal was excellent value but that saying that you get what you pay for.....

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Normally my wife & I go in at lunchtime & love it. Good food & very friendly staff that make you welcome as soon as you step inside. Nothing too much trouble. We went in the evening, for a change, to celebrate my 70th birthday with 6 other members of our family, and were not disappointed. Anticipating that our 4 grandchildren would not like anything on the menu, we arranged with the owner that he would do some chicken goujons. Well what a surprise, the elder three all picked from the menu & thoroughly enjoyed it. I must remember to apologise again when we go in for all the trouble they went to. It cannot be easy running a restaurant & dealing with the many customers vagaries. My granddaughter also said" the goujons were outstanding & the best she has ever had"!

As a matter of interest I must encourage others to read the previous Trip Advisor reviews on this restaurant, If you want to know how difficult it must be in running a restaurant then read the owners reply to the very few reviews that do not get 5 stars. Also, I don't think I have laughed so much at his very honest comments. More power to you!

1  Thank Littlestoke
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and popped in for lunch on Saturday afternoon.
We both had muscles & chips which were absolutely fantasic. The service was friendly and I was given a great wine recommendation.

1  Thank Lee P
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Having booked, we were greeted by name on arrival like welcome guests. The food was excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable and efficient. The wine was good quality. Having had an appalling experience last night at the Olive Branch in Ludlow (please don't go there), this was an experience to remember. As a connoisseur of Confit of Duck, this was top quality.

2  Thank DavidC186337