“Disapointing”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Went to Ludlow specifically to have a birthday meal at the French Pantry as we had promised ourselves a meal here. Wish we had read the reviews before we went.
Very cramped. Reheated food not hot enough though portion sizes were very generous.
At over £55.00 for two of us we did not feel we had value for money

10  Thank Rutland-Baker
SimonPeterKing, Owner at The French Pantry, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

Our restaurant is "very cramped"? I won't send you an invite to our Nudist Evening then . . . .

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We only stopped for morning coffee and croissant, but it was really excellent and very good value for money. The croissant was served without being warmed, and really it didn't need warming it was so fresh. One of the best I have ever eaten. Coffee and croissant for two for less than £8. Can't beat it.

1  Thank David M
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Having just moved to the area we were recommended this restaurant as a nice place to go and boy was it good!

The food was excellent: tasty, fresh, well presented, hot, nice portion size and excellent value at £21 for 2 course, £26 for 3.

I had the Lobster Ravioli followed by chicken stew; my wife had Crab Gateau with Saffron Beure followed by Duck Confit; it was all tremendous.

The wine was lovely too.

Atmosphere was great and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience. Lovely!

If you want a recommendation in Ludlow, then this is it.

Book for Saturdays though because it was full and we saw 5 walk-in parties disappointed.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Didnt even bother ordering food, just got up and walked out... A very cramped little venue its a shame the venue isnt the size of the owners ego, you would fit the whole town in there then,....

11  Thank Shropshirelad049
SimonPeterKing, Owner at The French Pantry, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

AUTO REPLY: We're sorry, our imbercile filter has rejected your correspondence due to excess moronity. Please try contacting us by normal human channels. Thanks for your input.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

On our flying visit to Ludlow we had a tough choice on where to spend our only evening meal. We went for The French Pantry.

We had more or less settled on Bistro 7 when we happened to pass The FP and were won over by the intimate and homely atmosphere and attractive menu.

I'm sure there was Civet de lapin when we booked, which REALLY hits the spot for me. But it had gone a few hours later when we arrived. Menus change, just my bad luck.

My partner started with French Onion soup, which was an interesting item for a hot summers day. She loved it but it did rather fill her up.
I had snails, which were ok but perhaps a bit chewey and a bit less garlic that I would have preferred (have enjoyed snails literally hundreds of times so I do know the benchmark).

For main course my partner had Hake Paella, which was flavoursome and filling. I had Confit Duck, which was also very flavoursome.

Short but fairly-priced wine list and every wine available by the glass, which is brilliant.

Note that the kitchen closes at 8.30 (it did the evening we were there), so don't be late!

1  Thank MarkFromEaling