“A brilliant place to stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Dinham Hall Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“A brilliant place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We loved staying at this hotel. The location was unbeatable, we looked out over both the castle and the river and the autumn colours were lovely. The room was clean, comfortable and had lots of old world style. Bed was comfortable (even for a husband who normally moans!). Bathroom had Molton Brown toiletries and did the job very well. Lounge area had a roaring fire which was great to curl up next to with a good book.

Staff were polite, smiley and helpful. Breakfasts were plentiful- fresh and stewed fruit, croissants,yogurt plus the usual cooked items. Dinner in the restaurant was lovely, well presented and very well cooked.

What would have made this an excellent review? We had booked in on a special offer which included dinner. We did inform the hotel that I was a vegetarian before we arrived. The first evening I had a lovely mushroom risotto. That was the only choice on the menu, so I just checked that something different would be available the following night and there was ... mushroom cannelloni! So, same starter both nights (no quibble there, it was delicious!) and pretty much same main. Not great customer service when the restaurant was fairly empty and advance notice had been given.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 190801Rach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Arriving in Ludlow early, we parked in the hotel car park and made our presence know to the receptionist, asking if it was in order to leave our case, and that we would return at 3pm to officially book in. The receptionist acknowledged that this would be fine, so we wandered off into the town. On our return at 3pm, we were told where breakfast would be served in the morning and then taken back outside through the front door, through the garden (quite some distance from the main building), to what the member of staff called the annex (entitled appropriately 'Garden Room'). We were slightly disappointed to not be sleeping in the main house (we paid £129 for 1 night), but instead in the garden shed. On entering the room, we could see that it was nicely furnished, although a little small. An area was set aside with two armchairs and a table on which were the drink making facilities and a TV. The positioning of the TV meant, if one wanted to relax on the bed watching TV, it just wasn't possible. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a good night's sleep after attending a function at the local Rugby Club. We are both early risers and as breakfast was from 8am, we made our way back to the main house and were seated in the breakfast room by 8.15am. Having seated ourselves in the window, we glanced at the menu and decided to avail ourselves of what was on offer on the central breakfast table. Unfortunately, there was no fresh fruit, in fact no fruit of any description. Not being a breakfast cereal person, I sat back down and waited. A young lady appeared and asked what drinks we would like; we ask for Earl Grey and coffee. I did ask for some fresh fruit to go with the yoghurt, to which she replied that the chef had not arrived, but was expected soon. I confirmed with her that breakfast time was 8am - 9.45am. She duly returned with the hot drinks and took our order for 2 x Shropshire breakfasts, as well as brown toast. At no point did she suggest that this would be delayed due to the non-arrival of the chef. At 8.40am I glanced out to the car park when I heard a rather loud vehicle arrive (Subaru). The gentleman emerging from the car was casually dressed and made his way to the stairs leading to the lower floor of the building (my assumption was that this was in fact the chef). Waiting a further 15mins and still no breakfast, I decided to pay a visit to the ladies, I enquired at reception where this was and also asked if the chef had now arrived and was advised that he had. On my return, the breakfast room was almost full and the waitress was now supported by another member of staff, taking orders for meals. A plate of melon was brought out to join the cereals, then a plate of croissants. At 9.05 our breakfast appeared, along with what looked like everyone elses breakfast following in quick succession. The waitress apologised for the delay. Unfortunately my breakfast had to be returned as the egg was fried, not poached as I had requested. Another 5 minutes passed..... I did enjoy my breakfast eventually, even though the bacon was rather tough. It really does seem unbelievable that no other member of staff was able to produce some sliced melon or even any other fruit, or croissants until the chef arrived. Perhaps he had everything under lock and key. I know this is a rather lengthy explanation, but I would rather give all information as it happened, so all parties have the facts and are able to respond appropriately.

Room Tip: We were sited in the Garden Room. Not a choice I would have made had I known we would be at the bot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pollyposhpup
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Dinham this November and to say I was worried about the experience due to reading some of the reviews is an understatement.
I'll start with the fact that the staff are wonderful, the young ladies (who work very very long hours, we had the same girl for breakfast and dinner for pretty much 3 days in a row!) So actually you know what, if they did at any point seem a little under the weather I would not blame them at all!!
Next point Id like to make is that this is an old building, floors are going to creak, windows are not going to be newly fitted double glazing and people shouldn't expect them to be. We stayed in the lower Garden cottage annexe, so not in the main hotel and we absolutely loved it! It was like having your own apartment but without having to cook your own food! You get your own private garden so if you wanted to sit outside in the morning with your coffee you could (bit crisp in November but I certainly would of loved to in the summer)
Last but not least at all the food was divine. There's absolutely no question of it, dinner was most enjoyable. Especially when topped off with a brandy in front of their roaring fire.
I urge people to disregard rude reviews, it upsets me that only people who want to be spiteful come on here nowadays

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mxsm
Overton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having punched the post code of the hotel into the Satnav, off we went to Ludlow on the recommendation of my brother. Arriving in Ludlow, the Satnav took us right into the centre of the beautiful town (this on a Saturday, with the market in full swing) and up to the gates of one of the many, many brilliantly preserved old properties and believe it or not only about 50 metres from the main gates of Ludlow Castle. Dinham Hall has a more Country House feel to it rather than hotel and this is very much reflected in the decor and furniture. It has a comfortable and lived in atmosphere, with lovely big sofas and chairs nestled round a huge open fire. We had a suite at the very top of the hotel and was very roomy and comfortably furnished and surprisingly quiet. Be aware however that there are no lifts and most or the rooms are upstairs, although there is at least one on the ground floor. Breakfast was served in "The Breakfast Room" and this was very traditional. A small and fairly restricted buffet (cerials, yoghurt, fruit etc) was on offer, followed by individually cooked breakfasts, a real treat to have well cooked fried eggs and the scrambled egg was to die for!
Staff were brilliant, polite, helpful and cheerful.
Overall a really nice place to stay, incredibly convenient for exploring, but do not expect corporate standards as it is just not set up to cater for that market.

1 Thank davidll54
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here on 25th and 26th October to celebrate our fifteenth wedding anniversary as we love Ludlow and I have always wanted to stay in Dinham Hall Hotel. After reading Tripadvisor reviews we were slightly concerned that we were going to be disappointed but we chanced our luck.
On checking in , the staff were pleasant and helpful, offering to carry our bags and took us to our room, Palmers. The room was beautiful and spacious, with windows on three aspects, giving lovely views of the castle and hotel gardens. The antique bed was very comfortable and we slept well.
The hotel has a "shabby chic" type of feel with lovely old furniture and heavy rich embroidered curtains and creaky wooden floors; a welcome change from big hotel chain types with boxy rooms.
There are some improvements that could be made, maybe having background music and someone manning the bar, as this doesn't seem to be used and we'd have liked to have a glass of wine in the hotel but it was deserted each time we ventured in. However, we enjoyed our stay and found it a peaceful, pleasant hotel right in the lovely town of Ludlow and we would stay again. Thank you.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jencatt
Haslemere, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Having had a wonderful stay here in 2006, we decided to return to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. What a disappointment! We booked a 'Standard' room for 2 nights, 28th-29th October, £350 for dinner bed & breakfast. On our arrival, we were shown to the 'Garden' room outside the main building in a dark corner of the garden. It SMELT of DAMP and DOGS and was totally unsuitable for overnight accommodation (see feedback from other guests on Trip Advisor). Especially at £175 per night. We complained to the member of staff but he was extremely SURLY and UNHELPFUL. We asked to see the manager but were informed this was not possible. We returned to the main building and asked to be shown another 'Standard' room. We were informed there were no other 'Standard' rooms but he very RELUCTANTLY showed us to 'JJ' and mumbled that it was a ''Superior' room that would would cost another £50. We complained this was UNFAIR as we had booked a 'Standard' room and it was not our fault they were unable to provide us one suitable. Again we asked to see the manager but the man gave us no answer and withdrew. Exhausted after a 4 hour drive from Surrey and dealing with inhospitable staff, and with nowhere else to go, we lost the will to complain further and settled in 'JJ'.

The bathroom had no toiletries so I popped down to reception to request some. The girl on the desk very reluctantly gave us some. Back in the room, my wife and I noticed there was a pungent smell of SEWAGE emanating from the bathroom. We dared not complain for fear of further antagonising the staff. We anticipated that a member of staff would come and see us to resolve the pricing of the room so we foolishly got on with our stay. Ludlow is a lovely place to visit and the food in the hotel is excellent, although the quality of waitressing was inconsistent, so we soon forgot about these problems.

On our final morning I had an appointment in town. It over ran by half an hour and as I returned to the hotel, the manager, Franck [--], rebuked me in an extremely RUDE and AGGRESSIVE manner for missing the checkout time of 11am. We immediately came down from our room to settle our bill but were horrified to discover that our bill had been inflated by £100 as we had occupied a 'Superior' room. We complained that this was unfair but Mr [--] became very AGGRESSIVE and MAN-HANDLED me. Out of SPITE, he then informed us that he would be adding a late check out fee of £25 to our bill. Fearing what he might do next, we exited the hotel to call my solicitor for advice. Meanwhile, Mr [--] followed us into the car park to take a photo. I was advised to return to the hotel and settle my bill and then log a dispute with Mastercard. I returned to the hotel but Mr [--] had already charged the full amount to my card without my approval. Mr [--] has no concern for the well being of his guests and exploits them being outside their comfort zones to extract as much money from them as possible.

Room Tip: Avoid the Garden room (pokey and stinks of damp and dogs) and JJ (sewage smell)
7 Thank Pete H
Ian_4_12, Manager at Dinham Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dinham Hall prides itself on providing an excellent service to Guests and Diners.
However, the staff does not respond to rudeness and in this instance, the staff handled this "guests" with care and diligence, in every aspect, in a professional manner and with politeness.
We certainly do not "manhandle" guests in any way, and we deal fairly with issues, regardless of its nature.
The rates were correct and charged in accordance with terms and conditions applied, including a late check out charge of £25.00.

Travellers are raving about these Ludlow hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Ludlow is a lovely place to spend a day or so and to explore it's history and peaceful charm. Dinham Hall Hotel fits in perfectly with the character of this town. An old building, an architectural gem, that outwardly exudes the same charm, a little frayed around the edges, a little dated in part, hence probably it's 3 star rating. Dinham Hall has the potential to be one of the best upmarket 'boutique style' hotels in Ludlow, but would need some serious investment to achieve that kind of status. Meanwhile, it offers a very good and middle-of-the-road offering. It's quiet location in the heart of Ludlow, a stones throw from the Castle and all that's going on in the town, together with on-site parking, makes this a prime contender for a visitor on a short stay. My wife and I stayed for 1 night on b&b, an 'off peak' price of £99, which made it good value. It obviously wasn't the best room in the hotel, up in the attic and probably one of the smallest, but sufficed for our needs. The wifi didn't reach our room and we were told that it only really extended to the ground floor. In this day and age, this is really very poor and there should be no excuse for this. Breakfast was very good. In the evening we dined in the hotel restaurant, the sample menu looked good. On reflection we should have tried one of other many highly rated Ludlow restaurants. We knew the reputation of some of the others but hadn't researched locations etc so took the easy option. The menu was not as extensive as we had hoped, but was never-the-less, to our liking. Portions were 'nouvelle cuisine style' small, elegant and expensive and washed down with one of the cheapest bottles of red wine priced at £18. I did object to the automatic, mandatory 10% service charge being added to the bill, assume the waiting staff would get none of it! There was only one other couple dining in the restaurant for that evening, clearly something is wrong with the offering, not difficult to guess what.
There are quite a few things wrong with this hotel but could easily be changed that would put it into a different league, however, we still liked the hotel and would return.

1 Thank DavidCinUK
Ian_4_12, Manager at Dinham Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate your feedback, and we will take on board your recommendations. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Dinham Hall, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.