“Day out in Ludlow”

Ludlow Castle
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Ludlow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ludlow Castle is an unusually complete range of medieval buildings with a varied history evident within its walls. We are host to a number of events that run between April and November, information of which is available at the local tourist information centre and on our website. Castle House was one of the last grand mansions built in Ludlow. It was sympathetically restored in 2006 by the current Earl of Powis and provides a range of Independent shops, Tea Rooms with an idyllic outside terrace during the summer months; function rooms that are available for civil ceremonies, weddings, parties, wakes, meetings The 3 no. self catering apartments are available for 3, 4 and 7 night stays. All bedrooms have en-suite bathrooms, well equipped kitchens and sitting/dining rooms and views of the castle that are unparalleled. The Tea Room is a traditional English tea room with a glazed Courtyard, Pantry, Study and Garden Terrace. It is child and dog friendly with a welcoming and enthusiastic team, serving something for everyone. There are loose-leaf teas, cafeteria coffees, fresh juices and quality wines. A range of freshly prepared cakes and cream teas are available all day. There is a lovely walk around the outside of the castle where you are surrounded by natural woodland and outstanding views of the castle walls, River Teme and Whitcliffe Common.
Reviewed 26 August 2013

It was sad to see Ludlow Castle in such a sorry state.
The castle has so many fantastic historical tales, links to great people of which I have read about. Upon going to the castle no stories or information is given. You really have to use your imagination walking around the crumbling walls!
What really spoilt our visit were the hundreds of pigeons. The castle was covered inch thick in some parts with their droppings, it was EVERYWHERE!!
There were also dead baby birds scattered around the castle which you had to mind you didn't tread on (and my puppy kept trying to eat-yuck!!).
In my opinion they should divulge in the magnificent stories of Ludlow castle and perhaps give pest control a call, these birds are damaging these ancient ruins!!

1  Thank englishrose90
Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"surrounding countryside"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you like castles, you must go around this one. I got there an hour before it closed and had the place to myself. It is a big castle, so you need at least an hour if you want to climb the towers etc. You can also walk around the outside on a path, and cross the river for views from the other side.

1  Thank JaneyC16
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Visited Ludlow castle and was not disappointed, it was a great place. The entry price is very reasonable at £5. Be aware that ther are lots of stairs to climb but it is worth it as the view from the top of the castle is absolutely amazing and worth the climb up...

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Went to Ludlow castle for the first time today, was not disappointed! I highly recommend taking the audio tour, it just brought the whole thing to life for me giving a full history of the castle in a 50 minute tour at just £2 extra to the already reasonable entry price of just £5 per adult. A very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Ludlow Castle from the 11th century, is quite the tourist spot. After a long history, it was purchased in 1811 by 2nd Earl of Powis. It remains in the family. Walking inside the gate to the castle would have been hard for me with my leg problems. However, I talked to tourists who had just exited the castle. They me that they really enjoyed it. I was happy to take photos of its exterior so I can say I've been there. I was disappointed that I couldn't buy a Ludlow Castle mug in the gift shop for my business partners who collect them.

It would be difficult for the disabled to enter the castle however, see it from the outside. I loved viewing it and looking forward to seeing my photos.