“Disappointed!!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

Disappointed!!

Had read reviews on  here and thought I'd treat my parents to a lovely afternoon tea.

Setting lovely,initial  pleasant welcome BUT the serviceable sat at the table was exceptionally slow and not served with a smile!!

Finding a hair on one cake was bad enough but to find a second one inside the chocolate brownie was unforgivable!!!

Thankfully the manageress said we did not need to pay!!!! That would have added insult to injury!! Feeling sick just thinking of it!!!

Would not recommend this to anyone!! Won't ever be going back!

1  Thank KentLass74

Reviewed 17 April 2012

My opinion of this restaurant is largely coloured by the long wait for food and the rationing of the wine! I have an issue with places that ask you to book a table for a certain time but then keep you waiting in a holding area until they allow you to go near the table some considerable time later, especially when they don't mention this at the time of booking.

We were asked if we wanted to book a table for dinner but were told that the restaurant was completely full at eight o'clock so we went for half past eight instead. We were then surprised to come down to the restaurant to find it over half empty at a quarter past eight. We later found out from a member of staff that they don't use most of the tables in the evening.

When we arrived we were asked if we would like a drink in the bar but we said that we would rather get to our table straight away and choose a bottle of wine. We were asked to take a seat in the bar and presented with menus and a wine list. A quarter of an hour or so later we wee presented with some canapes, tempura rabbit and salmon. We explained to the waitress that we were both vegetarian which seemed to cause some panic as she rushed off back towards the kitchen. Another waitress then rushed through in to the bar and, quite loudly, told the restaurant manager that "they're vegetarians!". The manager then spoke to us across the bar, we were sat some distance away and there were other customers present, and immediately blamed the hotel receptionist for not informing him that we had special dietary requirements which I thought was extremely unprofessional; I don't have any special requirements, I just choose not to eat certain things on the menu. The receptionist was fantastic throughout our stay and did not deserve to be blamed in any way. We were then presented with different canapes consisting of goat's cheese, which neither of us like.

After over half an hour we were told that "the chef is ready for you now" and taken to our table where we were given the wine that we had ordered earlier. We had also asked for a jug of tap water on the table but were given a glass each instead. The wine was taken away to a cooler on a table on the other side of the restaurant. Twenty minutes later we received our starters, almost an hour after the time that we had booked the table for.

The starter was lovely, one of the nicest soups that I have ever eaten and the bread served was also very nice. Before I finished the starter I had finished the wine in my glass but nobody came to refill it. I thought that I would wait until they cleared the starter away but it was still left empty so I decided to see how long it was until anybody noticed that we were both sat there with empty glasses. Twenty minutes was the answer and then they were only filled up because I asked a passing waitress. This carried on for the whole night with us having to ask for either our wine glasses or water to be filled and it made us feel like we were trying to get something for free rather than a glass from a bottle that we had already paid for!

My risotto main course was ok but far too salty for my tastes, which just made the lack of anything to drink even worse! My Wife's dish was much nicer and she really enjoyed it although she did comment that it might have been nicer with a glass of wine!

The deserts were nice, but nothing too spectacular, and some of the cheese could have done with being taken out of the fridge much earlier to soften up a bit.

If, after a meal in a hotel restaurant, you like to retire to the bar for a couple of drinks, this is not really the place to do it. There are no bar staff, as such, and service is dependent on the waiting staff having time in between clearing and cleaning up at the end of the night. There was music played in the restaurant but it didn't really seem to know what atmosphere it was trying to create; one minute it was Wagner style opera, the next a Coldplay dirge. One of the staff commented that they hated the music as it was so miserable and downbeat. The restaurant as a whole had a strange atmosphere with everybody speaking as quietly as possible and stopping speaking completely in the gaps between songs. I am used to even the best restaurants having a bit of a buzz about them and this felt far too clinical.

In summary, the food was ok, without being spectacular, the service staff were all very nice, the long wait between table booking time and getting any food or drink was very annoying, and the attention to detail, like keeping glasses topped up, was not there. My impression was that the restaurant didn't really know what it was trying to be and who it was trying to cater for. We ate in Ludlow itself on another night and paid half the price for food that was much nicer and the service spot on.

1  Thank MrGin26
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Forelles is the restaurant at Fishmore Hall Hotel, just outside Ludlow.
The setting is pleasant (though we had to struggle through the snow!) and the staff welcoming and polite (and knowledgeable, it turns out!).
We started with champagne and then went on to the 9-course tasting menu (probably 13 really, if one includes canapés, amuse, petit fours).
The chef – David Jaram – can certainly cook; the food was splendid and included some less-usual ingredients, e.g., wattle seed and crosnes (Chinese artichoke). Some combinations were inspired, the curried pine nuts went brilliantly with the pigeon, but others were less so and we thought that the poached rhubarb was quite coarse and lacked flavour. We thought that the turbot was the star of the meal, beautifully cooked.
We decided to drink the suggested wines with the meal and, on reflection, this wasn’t the best option for us, though I acknowledge that this is about personal tastes and preferences. For example, I didn’t think that the chardonnay went well with the turbot and I’d have preferred the Beaujolais that was served with the pigeon. The Chianti with the venison was a nice wine, but something with more acidity and body would have been more to my taste.
Waiting staff were uniformly efficient and polite.
Overall, a very pleasant experience.

2  Thank Dr_Bob1
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Th restaurant at Fishmore Hall is called Forrelles. We had occasion to go there to celebrate my promotion. On our arrival we received a friendly welcome and were shown to the very comfortable lounge area and were offered drinks. These came along with a selection of delicious nibbles. We were given menus and after a short time our choices were taken. We chose to go for the 6 course taster menu and as it was my celebration my husband elected to be the driver ,poor thing and I had the accompanying wines to go with the courses. What a revelation they certainly did go well with the food and whilst I thought,what a small amount of wine/port to serve with each course,it certainly was not and I must admit I did feel a little squiffy at the end of the meal.I did allow my husband a sip or two of each wine as well.
After a short while we were ushered into the conservatory and seated at a table overlooking the gardens and local countryside complete with cows. very rural.
An amuse bouche arrived consisting of pea veloute with smoked crispy bacon and garnished with pea shoots and served in a mini cup and saucer. Delicious to say the least. Every course was served to us by 2 waiters at the same time along with the wine and a short explanation of what we were to eat and drink. Warm rolls and butter accompanied the meal. The next four courses were simply divine, then a pre desert of a lemon posset with strawberry arrived which was lovely. Finally a dark chocolate fondant with prunes done 2 ways and the most divine earl gray ice cream. I felt I may have died and gone to heaven at that point. My husband was pretty impressed too. lol.
The gardens were lovely and well kept and well worth a stroll around before we departed. We shall definitely be visiting again.
The service was good but not excellent and they forgot my wine with one of the courses.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

We were very excited to try the Restaurant of Fishmore Hall as we knew it had just gained a 3rd Rosette for food from the AA guide. We arrived and were pleased to find a very welcoming reception area where we took a seat in the lounge and enjoyed a drink while we browsed the menu. The wine list was extensive and offered a variety of choice by the bottle and the glass. The staff were very knowledgeable and happy to help without being over intrusive. We chose to eat A la Carte and were shown to the table in the orangery after eating some lovely canapes. This is where my opinion and that of my partner differs hugely...

My meal: Foie Gras with pumpkin, chicory and caramel (Superb! Best starter i've ever had), Lamb with minted peas, kidney and potato (Lamb not as pink as I like it, not much veg, ANCHOVIES on the potato???.... for the record I like them but it absolutly ruined the dish), and for dessert I had the most wonderful dark chocolate fondant and very high quality earl grey tea ice cream and fig wontons (The best dessert i've ever had!).

His meal: Scallops with (ice cold) apple puree (Taste was there but quantity certainly wasn't... only 2 small scallops), Chicken with broad beans and girolles (Again, disappointed with the lack of quantity on the plate, no carbohydrates in sight!), dessert was the raspberry soufflé with a "yoghurt sorbet" on the side. This was the worst dish of the night. The soufflé was undercooked and had collapsed before reaching the table (We do admit the raspberry flavour was lovely), the yoghurt sorbet simply tasted and looked just like Philidelphia cheese straight from the supermarket.... not even sweetened. It also had finger prints on it from where it had been directly pushed off the spoon onto the plate.

In general, the appetiser of cauliflower veloute and homemade bread and the pre-dessert of mojito granite could not be faulted, and the same goes for the service and the surroundings yet clearly we were disappointed by the food. The presentation was very nice and the quality of the table wear was lovely. The portions left us still with room for more at the end of the meal (I normally can never manage 3 courses), and the wait between courses was longer than we would have hoped for (We were there for 3 hours and didn't even have coffee!). For £120 it's sad to say we expected more. We left with no real reason to complain then and there, but will not be returning in a hurry.

2  Thank HoneyMuffinPickles