“Tudor House”
Review of Castle Lodge

Castle Lodge
Ranked #10 of 26 things to do in Ludlow
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Whilst in Ludlow for Mother's day today I spied this little gem of a Tudor time capsule and being fascinated by the Tudor era, in particular Henry VIII I just had to take the opportunity to visit. I and my companion were not disappointed. For me it felt like a privilege to walk in the same corridors and rooms that my Tudor "heroes" had done all of those hundreds of years ago. A truly authentic experience made more so for me by the fact that there was hardly any furniture. I too felt the drop in temperature as soon as we went inside and I agree with another reviewer being reminded by the present owner of a well known character from the Adams Family. Apart from the cold and the old musty aroma I did not feel any 'spookiness'. However, that was not my reason for visiting. The atmosphere, everything about it gave me a real thrill to be there and I am so glad I paid the paltry sum of £3 to visit. If you are interested in history and are visiting Ludlow, you should not pass this little gem by. Amazing

2  Thank Tud0rr0se
"ring the bell"
in 7 reviews
"wood panels"
in 6 reviews
"national trust or english heritage"
in 5 reviews
"fascinating man"
"new owners"
"interesting house"

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I visited Ludlow for the day and on my look around saw this house with the
offer of £3. entry fee, I was let in by the owner an elderly gentleman, who told me that he had no help in maintaining the building etc and that I was welcome to explore the rooms, there is no furniture in the house that represents the tudor era
but nevertheless it was interesting to see the woodwork and carvings, he also told me that the fireplace came from Nonsuch Palace the Palace built by Henry V111
and destroyed in the reign of Charles 11....I was so suprised that this building which must be listed has no help from the local community it has great potential
I think that the owner is now of an age when any work will be too much for him I hope that it can be saved it is worth the £3. to look around.

2  Thank UkJohn63
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I had an hour to spare before heading away from Ludlow this afternoon and thought Castle Lodge merited a look given the external historical features. I admit to having imagined it would have been akin to other examples of historical houses I have visited over the years so was taken aback when I stepped in through the front door having had to first ring a bell and wait for someone to let me in first.

The next thing I noticed was the drop in temperature inside compared to outdoors - something that the chap who let me in even remarked upon. I was offered a cursory introduction that there were items from Henry VIII's reign throughout and another 7-8 rooms upstairs so I paid him a fiver and went for a wander...

My tour didn't take long, less than 20minutes all in and I concur with the majority of adjectives used by others who have rated Castle Lodge; it is mismatched, sad and a little tragic but at the same time breathtakingly fascinating. The undulating, uneven floors, the wooden beams and panelling all give a sense of what it once was and I totally agree with those who would champion its rescue by one of the historical societies or even the national/landmark trust because I think that in the right hands, this could really become the example of its day but that just won't happen if it follows its current pathway...

All that aside you've got to admire this chap for still making the effort to open it up to those who are curious enough to want a look inside.

6  Thank jackie_robinson2
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have just this week visited this amazing house. I waited a while before the gentleman appeared after me knocking at the door. Wow! A character from the past himself! Reminded me of someone from the 'the Addams family'....without the attachments though. He was so interesting to talk to. His wife was a well-known ballerina of her time. As I walked around, I had different emotions coming into play...sadness...awe...spookiness...and thankfulness that I was able to take in this Tudor time capsule. It has been used for films...Moll Flanders for one...lucrative for the owner, Bill Pearson...the man at the door. I agree with others ,that someone should take this amazing place on...National Trust...for example. It is a building that needs to be preserved, as sooner or later Mr. Pearson will not be able to continue as it is. Full marks to him for trying his best, with the entrance fee of £3. Make sure you, the reader will have the weirdly wonderful experience of seeing this Tudor time capsule!

3  Thank pickett234
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We visited castle lodge expecting a Tudor museum... What we found was not that. However it is a visit that I will never forget for its completely surreal and quirky atmosphere helped by an interesting gentleman who has lovingly cared for this time capsule with his late wife for 23 years. The building is very run down and in need of some serious attention however the original oak panels and ancient architecture are beautifully preserved. It's only £3 entry fee and that goes towards the constant battle to run the house, I thoroughly recommend a visit, it is a little empty but the experience gives you a wonderful glimpse of Tudor architecture and I think the surreal nature of my visit made it amusing and thoroughly memorable!

1  Thank Ellie M