“Beautiful views, fantastic service, lovely breakfast but room!!!”

and 1 more site!
Overton Grange Country Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here a week or so ago, however did not eat because we wanted to head into Ludlow to a local Indian we'd heard about. On arrival, the staff were delightful and pleasant and the views breathtaking, the hotel was beautiful. We were taken to our room which was a little bit of a shock. For the price we paid for the room it should really have been £50 not what we paid. The bedroom was worn, cobwebs on the ceiling above, awful wallpaper and lamp shades that didn't match. A lovely surprise was the bathroom which appeared brand new however, the shower was half way down the wall so you could only wash half your body unless you sat down in the bath. I found that a little odd, where was the overhead shower? This shower was like a secondary rinse around shower. Other than the bedroom, service at breakfast was perfect, and the breakfast itself was delicious. I would return but I'd want to know that the room was clean free of cobwebs and a proper shower. It did have seemingly brand new double glazed windows and our view over the car park at the front and the views stunning.

Room Tip: Ask if they have total refurbished bedrooms.
1  Thank CarlaChaos

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderfully relaxing break at the Overton Grange Hotel. The whole experience was superb – the setting, extremely charming and helpful staff and the cuisine is near Michelin star standard without the pretentiousness. Our bedroom was just the right size for us and had everything you need for comfortable stay. The breakfast was very pleasant and the portions were just the right size. We heard some people commenting on the (freezing) temperature of the swimming pool. Therefore, we decided to try it just from the curiosity and I am very happy that we did. The swimming pool is clean, inviting and provides great environment for relaxation and as for the temperature – it’s perfect once you start swimming (I think that’s what you suppose to do in a swimming pool). We will definitely return to Overton Grange.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Overton Grange. We take great care in ensuring that all our Guests have a memorable experience, and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was thrilled to get a room at very short noticed at Overton Grange, after a last minute decision to visit Ludlow Food Festival. The web site promised much, though I did think £139.00 a lot for B&B. However, I booked a twin room for my sister and I and was offered dinner. I said I thought probably yes, but we would decide when we arrived. At no time did I realise that dinner, at £42.50 for 3 courses was obligatory. The manager did not mention this and neither did the website. He assured me on arrival that I didn't have to eat there, but my credit card would be charged. I asked if there was a one course option, and no, was the reply. He also told me that this hotel was not a B&B establishment, though that is clearly offered on their website, on their compliment card and outside the front door of the hotel. The room was only adequate and the breakfast very mean, the walk into Ludlow far, far further than suggested and the pool was much to cold to swim in; all for £139.00? I work in tourism and customer service and have seen many hotels, B&B's, restaurants, bedrooms and their prices. I most definitely not have paid £224 for dinner, bed & breakfast had I been told the deal and suggest Ludlow has far better to offer. Though I must say that the staff were very friendly and dinner, as much as I had, was very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jennifer G

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our food, and we would like all our Guests to dine at the Hotel, to compliment the experience. During the Food Festival, we require that Guests dine one evening of the stay, and we are delighted that you enjoyed the food and service we deliver. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I have just spent two nights at the Overton Grange having decided to eat at La Becasse in Ludlow on Saturday evening and in the hotel last night. Our dinner at La Becasse was so very good that we were slightly apprehensive of what to expect at Overton Grange. We should not have worried as we tucked into another gastronomic delight. The chef is a real artist and all the dishes were beautifully prepared and visually exciting. We loved the dining room and were offered a lovely table by the window which only added to the experience. The hotel itself was comfortable and we had a lovely generously proportioned room with a glorious view of Shropshire. The traditionally styled furniture gave the room a cozy feel and I was amused that there was a 1970's Dynatron hi-fi doubling as a table for the tea and coffee, the radio of which was in perfect working order; I couldn't test the rest as I no longer possess any vinyl or cassettes. Finally I must mention the very hard working staff who were helpful and friendly and did everything with a smile. We would certainly go back to Overton Grange.

3  Thank Philip Y
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you, kindly appreciated.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Overton Grange for three nights in August 2012, taking advantage of a dinner, bed & breakfast offer advertised on the hotel's website. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and could not fault the hotel, which is a lovely Edwardian building set in a beautiful location a couple of miles outside Ludlow. Our room was comfortable with pleasant views across the garden and surrounding countryside.

The staff were all very welcoming, friendly, attentive, chatty, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We enjoyed making use of the hotel's bar/lounge area as well as the swimming pool and sauna. However, the star attraction was definitely the restaurant - the food was absolutely first class and we took great pleasure in working our way through the menu over the course of three nights. Every single course was delicious and the hotel rightly deserves an excellent reputation for its cuisine. Breakfast in the morning was also very good and set us up well for the rest of the day.

All in all, everything was fantastic and it was just a shame that our stay came to an end after just three nights - we would love to have stayed longer! We definitelty recommend this hotel to others, especially if you are a couple looking for a quiet weekend away in the countryside.

(Having viewed the Comments book in the hotel reception, it seems that the vast majority of guests definitely enjoyed their stays and only have positive things to say about the Overton Grange. While we saw one or two negative comments, these were few and far between - and significantly outnumbered by the large number of positive statements made by satisfied guests).

Room Tip: Most rooms have good views over the surrounding countryside. Those on the first floor are perhaps a...
6  Thank David H

Very kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed the experience, and thank you for your high recommendation.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Very tastefully decorated hotel but it just was so quiet, i've seen more life in a morgue. There must be 3 staff to every guest. We chose not to eat in their restaurant after enquiring if there would be a bit more of an atmosphere later that evening (the answer was no). It concerned me slightly considering we're now in "peak season". Maybe it's the price keeping people away or maybe because it reminded my wife of the care home her mother resides in. Not exactly our idea of a holiday. Never mind.

We ate in town but came back fairly early and enjoyed the rest of our holiday in the room, which was comfortable but only had bath. In the morning we chose not to use the pool as the water seemed a little cold for our liking. Breakfast was tasty but uninspiring.

All in all, we will certainly return to the wonderfully historic Ludlow, but we won't be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank David S
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, the Hotel, like many across the Country has experienced a very quiet week, due to the beginning of the Holiday Season, but mainly due to the Olympic Games which we are pleased to support (occupancy 35-40% down in London where it all happens!!!) In normal times and most weekends, the Hotel is buzzing and enjoys an excellent occupancy rate, and Diners enjoy the experience. We take your comments on board and look forward to welcoming you during your next visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I recently saw this hotel on Booking.com, for £110 for a standard room, but decide to contact the hotel direct to discuss Diner, Bed & Breakfast, which I proceeded to book with them for £225, paying a £50 deposit. The next day I cancelled the dinner as we opted to go into Ludlow for a meal. On checking out I was presented with a bill for the exact same room as Booking.com for £145, when I queried this I was told the manager was not in but he would look into it and contact me. Having heard nothing I contacted the manager, querying the discrepancy in price, he agreed to refund £35, this however did not happen nor any explanation. After a further phone call, where I pointed out that to discuss their hotel and to be charged £35 for the privilege did not seem like good customer service to me. After a very heated conversation on his part he suggested I join the queue of unhappy guests on tripadvisor - so here I am!! I strongly advise against going to this hotel - the rooms are adequate, the atmosphere lacking as so few guests staying, I was relieved I booked elsewhere for a meal as the restaurant was empty at 8 pm.

It is a sad reflection on this hotel and it's sister hotel, Dinham Hall if this is their idea of Customer Service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jackiec3212

Thank you for your review. We are dissapointed that you did not enjoy your stay at Overton Grange.
The Hotel is currently at its quiet time due to Holiday Season and the Olympic Games, but still enjoy an excellent occupancy level.
Rates are discounted on a daily basis via internet base operators and fluctuate in line with availability and seasonal demand. In this instance, the full rate was agreed over the phone and confirmed to the guest by email(£225.00 DBB) then Dinner was cancelled and the rate adjusted accordingly to B&B Rate(£145.00 BB) as the cost of dinner was deducted in full, as one would expect. Unfortunately, we only charge for the room as agreed, excluding dinner, and we can only apology for doing so, but this is the rate you agreed to, verbally and by email.