“spoilt by the bed”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“spoilt by the bed”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

i stayed at overton grange hotel for one night while on a cycle touring holiday. the cost for bed and breakfast was £160. i arrived late, after dark, so it was too late to sample the restaurant. i left soon after breakfast.the room in itself was fine, and the girl on reception was helpful enough. however my stay was ruined by the rock hard bed. impossible to get comfortable.clearly an old knackered mattress, not what you expect at £160 per night. felt like sleeping on the floor.have had better comfort on the euston-glasgow sleeper. premier inns make a point of a good nights sleep with very comfortable beds,which is what you get, and at a third of the cost. charging £160 for this is a disgrace.

Room Tip: bring a blow up mattress just in case.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank michael c
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for your review. We were not made aware of the situation and we would have been delighted to offer you an alternative room, although, we never received any complaint about the new bedding (perhaps, a bad back due to cycling!!!) We look forward to welcoming you again at Overton Grange.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We have just spent a night at the Overton Grange, Ludlow. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was a good size, some reviewers said they were small. The tea & coffee in the room was fair trade which was brilliant. We had this break as a gift and the degustation menu was included, the food - 7 courses - was a delight and the service was faultless. We used the sauna which was lovely ( no extra charge for towels as someone said) but the pool was a bit too cool for us. If you want a special treat I can really recommend this dining experience.

Room Tip: We had room No 21, very good.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue R
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Once again, a great thank you for all the team, we are so proud of our food!!!
relaxed007
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I recently booked a stay in Overton Grange for 2 nights, which unfortunately we had to cancel due to circumstances beyond our control. When we cancelled the booking, in excess of a week prior to our stay, we were informed that the £50 deposit would not be refunded. The booking was made over the phone, and there was no mention of cancellation policy over the phone. We asked to speak to the manager on this matter and were told he was not available but would ring us back. He never rang back. The following day we contacted the hotel again and expalined that we were not contacted on the matter, and were told again the deposit was not refundable. We asked to speak to the manager. The manager's tone and manner was irate, which began to become abusive as he continued to raise his voice on the phone, and refused to refund the deposit. He hung up the phone when we informed him that his customer relation skills were poor and the pratcise of retaining the deposit under the circumstances was very poor customer relations. Im sure he will make some flippant comment on here stating we were informed by email of the cancellation policy, but this does not excuse his terrible customer relation skills and awful phone etiquette. I really do fear for the owner of this hotel, if this is how it is managed. Avoid this hotel at all costs if you like to be treated in a curteous manner by the managemant and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank relaxed007
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate that your circumstances may have altered but however,, the terms and conditions of reservation, together with cancellation policy are clearly stated at the time of reservation, on line booking web page, and confirmed by email with all reservations. The Management adopts a very professional manner in customer dealing, but does not respond to confrontational or abusive behavior, and in this instance, to verbal threat of vindictive review. F Metzo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here a week or so ago, however did not eat because we wanted to head into Ludlow to a local Indian we'd heard about. On arrival, the staff were delightful and pleasant and the views breathtaking, the hotel was beautiful. We were taken to our room which was a little bit of a shock. For the price we paid for the room it should really have been £50 not what we paid. The bedroom was worn, cobwebs on the ceiling above, awful wallpaper and lamp shades that didn't match. A lovely surprise was the bathroom which appeared brand new however, the shower was half way down the wall so you could only wash half your body unless you sat down in the bath. I found that a little odd, where was the overhead shower? This shower was like a secondary rinse around shower. Other than the bedroom, service at breakfast was perfect, and the breakfast itself was delicious. I would return but I'd want to know that the room was clean free of cobwebs and a proper shower. It did have seemingly brand new double glazed windows and our view over the car park at the front and the views stunning.

Room Tip: Ask if they have total refurbished bedrooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarlaChaos
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderfully relaxing break at the Overton Grange Hotel. The whole experience was superb – the setting, extremely charming and helpful staff and the cuisine is near Michelin star standard without the pretentiousness. Our bedroom was just the right size for us and had everything you need for comfortable stay. The breakfast was very pleasant and the portions were just the right size. We heard some people commenting on the (freezing) temperature of the swimming pool. Therefore, we decided to try it just from the curiosity and I am very happy that we did. The swimming pool is clean, inviting and provides great environment for relaxation and as for the temperature – it’s perfect once you start swimming (I think that’s what you suppose to do in a swimming pool). We will definitely return to Overton Grange.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Country Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Overton Grange. We take great care in ensuring that all our Guests have a memorable experience, and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Chepstow
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was thrilled to get a room at very short noticed at Overton Grange, after a last minute decision to visit Ludlow Food Festival. The web site promised much, though I did think £139.00 a lot for B&B. However, I booked a twin room for my sister and I and was offered dinner. I said I thought probably yes, but we would decide when we arrived. At no time did I realise that dinner, at £42.50 for 3 courses was obligatory. The manager did not mention this and neither did the website. He assured me on arrival that I didn't have to eat there, but my credit card would be charged. I asked if there was a one course option, and no, was the reply. He also told me that this hotel was not a B&B establishment, though that is clearly offered on their website, on their compliment card and outside the front door of the hotel. The room was only adequate and the breakfast very mean, the walk into Ludlow far, far further than suggested and the pool was much to cold to swim in; all for £139.00? I work in tourism and customer service and have seen many hotels, B&B's, restaurants, bedrooms and their prices. I most definitely not have paid £224 for dinner, bed & breakfast had I been told the deal and suggest Ludlow has far better to offer. Though I must say that the staff were very friendly and dinner, as much as I had, was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Jennifer G
Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our food, and we would like all our Guests to dine at the Hotel, to compliment the experience. During the Food Festival, we require that Guests dine one evening of the stay, and we are delighted that you enjoyed the food and service we deliver. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife and I have just spent two nights at the Overton Grange having decided to eat at La Becasse in Ludlow on Saturday evening and in the hotel last night. Our dinner at La Becasse was so very good that we were slightly apprehensive of what to expect at Overton Grange. We should not have worried as we tucked into another gastronomic delight. The chef is a real artist and all the dishes were beautifully prepared and visually exciting. We loved the dining room and were offered a lovely table by the window which only added to the experience. The hotel itself was comfortable and we had a lovely generously proportioned room with a glorious view of Shropshire. The traditionally styled furniture gave the room a cozy feel and I was amused that there was a 1970's Dynatron hi-fi doubling as a table for the tea and coffee, the radio of which was in perfect working order; I couldn't test the rest as I no longer possess any vinyl or cassettes. Finally I must mention the very hard working staff who were helpful and friendly and did everything with a smile. We would certainly go back to Overton Grange.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Philip Y
Thank you, kindly appreciated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Fishmore Hall
Travelodge Ludlow Hotel
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle

Been to Overton Grange Country Hotel? Share your experiences!