“excellent food in a relaxed and comfortable environment” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Overton Grange Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“excellent food in a relaxed and comfortable environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

the degustation menu is fantastic
Try the pool but take the towel from your room as there are no towels down there

1 Thank gillandjerry
OvertonGrange, General Manager at Overton Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2010
Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our Michelin listed and Rosetted Dining Room, and we aim to provide an excellent overall stay, with confortable surroundings, Retreat Pool and Sauna, fine dining, and a lenghty wine list to suit all purses and tastes. Our 8 courses Tasting menu is very well received and mostly appreciated by guests and diners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cirencester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Alot of research was done to find a hotel where cost was not a real issue but the 'whole' experience was definitely important for what was a special weekend for my Wife and I.

I chose the Overton Grange due to it's accessiblity to Ludlow, (it was the Annual Food Festival weekend in the town) and for the indoor pool and spa, along with of course good food, taking for granted that for £190 per night the superior room I booked would live up to expectations! (Excluding the cost of dinner)

Unfortunately not all my expectations were realised.

The superior room was adequate, nicely furnished but by no means superior with plastic milk jiggers, no fridge or mini bar, a small bathroom, and a normal double sized bed - I expected more. The view was OK but actually encompassed the roof and gable end of the new swimming pool building through one window and the other window gave us a view of what appeared to be the staff accommodation which certainly did not enhance the Shropshire countryside! (room 16)

I was somewhat surprised to find that when I booked my Wife in for a spa treatment (£75) at a time which was determined by the hotel, that for the whole duration of our stay I did not see any other guest using the treatment rooms after the hotel told me that the booking time they gave us was the only one available for the whole weekend - the alotted time did not fit ideally into our weekend plans but I wanted my Wife to have something special.

Why also were we told to use our room towels for the pool - there should be separate ones provided in the pool area and water too for drinking when using the sauna. In the sauna also, there should have been an amount of water to sprinkle on the coals or instructions otherwise if this was not a requirement.

The dinner for 2 was excellent but I do object to having service added on with no option. Tea and coffee afterwards should have been provided at no extra cost which was put on top of the dinner bill too!

Breakfast was not as memorable as dinner. The breakfast room was cramped with tables very close together - at one stage my Wife and I had to really stop our conversation incase it interrupted our neighbouring table. The 1st morning our toast was forgotten, the 2nd morning there was no yoghurt and the noise from the kitchen which was immediately adjacent was quite intrusive.

The same staff worked hard all weekend and were at stages literally running around which didn't always provide a relaxing atmosphere. I was also left feeling slightly uncomfortable by the restaurant manager or proprietor after walking into the bar immediately after our arrival at reception to get our bearings (admittedly I had good quality shorts on!) - sorry but I really wanted a drink after our journey and wasn't briefed as to the dress code at reception - alas I didn't have the drink!

Small detail matters so why were the printed menu contents stuck in the cover with what appeared to be a prit stick? Our room carpet had threads loose which were left for you to trip over and the 20 minute walk from Ludlow was infact 40/45 minutes at a good pace!

Putting all this to one side we had a great weekend in Shropshire enjoying the Food Festival, meeting friends and generally eating and drinking while enjoying the hotel facilities. However, as someone who is in the catering business, and paying arguably alot of money for our stay at the Overton Grange Hotel, I would have expected the management to see what I saw and experience what we experienced to justify the premium price!

Next time I'll spread my net alittle further!

Knighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Thank you to All at Overton Grange for ensuring that our special day went so smoothly! The layout, service, organisation, food, accommodation! Everything was perfect!
Recommend Overton for an event venue any time!
All our guests feel in love with the venue and still talk about the amazing food!
Thank you again!
Mark & Hannah

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank WELSHLADY030
Thank you for your warm comments. We appreciate positive feedback and it is a pleasure to read genuine appreciative reviews from discerning guests...
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my wife. I telephoned the hotel who took a £50 reservation fee and promised to e-mail me confirmation. I was asked if I would be dining that evening and I said I didn't know as I didn't know the area and as I was attending the Food Festival prior to arrival, I would look around and see if there was anywhere that I may like to eat as there are a couple of Michelin starred restaurants in the town. Of the room confirmation, nothing arrived and I had to e-mail them to get confirmation. The return e-mail stated that the room rate was £220 including dinner. I was quoted £140 as a room rate but nowhere did it say that I had to have dinner there. On contacting the hotel further it was explained to me that is was mandatory that guests ate in the hotel at least one night of a week-end. As I was staying a Friday night, this must be deemed a week-end and that if I wanted to cancel my reservation they would be happy to do so. Considering it was a surprise for my wife, there was little I could do. The hotel itself is situated just outside of Ludlow. The room we were shown to was situated at the front of the hotel. We found the bed was a little too hard, I could not for the life of me get any satelite channels on the TV, the plastic pvc window sill in the room was almost coming off and where a previous guest had swatted a bug in the bathroom, the blood smear was still there. These are the negatives. On the positive side, the staff were friendly, the dinner that we had was very good and the beef that I ordered was one of the best fillets I have had. The Maitre'd said that it was supplied by a local farmer and was hung for at least five weeks. Excellent! Along with a very nice bottle of wine, the evening went down well. Overall, the nights stay was £342 which is not in itself a great deal of money but it was the little things that I outlined earlier that made me wonder whether the price fitted the facility. Small things such as no robes in the room, apparently they are available in superior double rooms! For a small hotel in Shropshire, I would have thought £140 qualified. Small points maybe, but I have stayed in enough hotels around the world to gauge what is worth the money and the Overton Grange is not quite there yet. Would I stay there again? Hmmm, have to think about that.

1 Thank hornby
OvertonGrange, Manager at Overton Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2010
Thank you for your review. Overton Grange offers the best facilities in Ludlow area, with rates in line with similar accommodation. Whilst we appreciate your comments relating to your account, we would point out that wine and bar drinks exceeded £92.00 alone, which renders the overalll account higher than one would expect...Your confirmation was sent by email on 28th August.
Javea, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay to celebrate our special birthdays. The setting of the hotel is picturesque, the service and accommodation was very good, food was excellent and the pool was enjoyed by all.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

An unexpected gem in the heart of England. The hotel offers tanquility and quiet luxury. Although possessing an impressive fine cuisine menu, the restaurant was closed on our evening at Ovrton Grange. We were redirected to their sister hotel, Dinhams, in the centre of Ludlow, where we enjoyed an excellent supper.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

We recently spent five days at this hotel and would wholeheartedly recommend it to those who appreciate a warm welcome and a relaxed and happy atmosphere. We dined in the restaurant twice and the menu and wine selection were excellent. The staff, in particular Natalie and Sophie, were especially attentive - every request was met with a smile and speedy service, for which many thanks. Our bedroom was cleaned every day and was very comfortable.

Thank you to all the staff at the Overton. We had a wonderful time and we will certainly return to you in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple