“Little retro gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Aberystwyth, Wales, United Kingdom
“Little retro gem”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

What a great find! Popped in for a glass of cava with my sister and one glance at the menu meant we couldn't resist a bit of tapas! Chorizo, potatoes and caramelised onions was amazing, nachos and cheese delicious and the whitebait was the best I've ever had. Lovely atmosphere, friendly attentive staff and quirky decor, no problem with me taking my baby in, in fact the waitress made a fuss of him! Then a nice surprise, all of the above less that
n £20! Love

Visited March 2014

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“what a shame”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I cannot comment on the food served here as I did not manage to order any. Upon walking in, the staff were relatively friendly but more interested in conversation than greeting us, we then sat upstairs, which I now see was a mistake as we were forgotten about. We sat for approximately 15 minutes before we gave up and left, we were not stopped by the staff as we left. It's a real shame about this place, as I liked the look of the menu, but we ended up going somewhere great in the end. I hope that this was just a one off, for the business' sake

• Visited February 2014
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Varied menu with lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Went here with a large party to celebrate a birthday. Friendly efficient staff, serving a varied menu which catered for all tastes and budgets. Our large group chose a variation of tapas, panini, tagliatelle and sea food, all of which was delicious. We sat upstairs which was great, we then joined others downstairs later to enjoy the live music at the venue. Will be returning

Visited January 2014
Shifnal
“Its always good to have a recommendation.”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Its always good to have a recommendation. Visitors to Ludlow, myself and two friends new nothing about the eating houses of the town, other than star rated reviews we had read on the internet. Yesterday's wet night seemed to have kept every one at home, however at the entrance to the 'The Wine Bar' we asked a group of four heading inside if they had 'been here before' and 'was if any good?' A very positive response led us inside and immediately the warm ambience of the place struck home. The bar, or restaurant, was a split level affair, with and open staircase leading to the the main eating area on the mezzanine level. The ground floor was very comfortable with a good contemporary interior designer drinking area incorporating the 'must have' sofas and easy chairs. Attractive system hangings of 'studio' commissioned black and white photographs of old film stars lining the traditional rustic brick walls of the two storey open staircase and small ground floor eating area. Needless to say fun was had trying to recognise who was who.
We settled into those sofas, and thus relaxed, we read the menu. The theme was simple. A page of tapas items, which could be ordered as a main or a starter and a page of very familiar Italian dishes. We chose upon two tapas dishes for a starter, the anchovies and the humous with garlic bead. For mains two of us had the lasagnes whilst myself had the Carbonara (it would have been three lasagnes, but they were the last, which is odd considering it was early on a Saturday night). Either way, the food was terrific and there was plenty of it (no dirty plates here).The good results probably reflects the simplicity of the menu and that it's never always a good thing to overstretch yourselves (horses for courses springs to mind - not that I'm suggesting....). The staff were also lovely and very helpful, able to provide advice on the menu with a smile and more than a touch of humour.
The consensus: a great place, both in terms of cuisine and physical ambience and we would certainly be back. The only odd thing, which would have been nice if were different, was that by the end of our meal we were the only ones left in the there; and it was comparatively early in the evening (perhaps it was just one of those days). I later looked on the internet and found no web site for the Wine Bar (which is odd nowadays) and also that it seemed to be up for sale. Read into that what you may, but if this place could be transplanted to were I lived (near Ironbridge / Telford / Shifnal) it would make a 'killing' - odd. The only other thing was that it served no proper beers (i.e. real ales) which is pretty much a requisite for most drinking and eating places nowadays, but then again the bottles of prosecco and pinot kept us happy (but it wouldn't every one).
We later moved on to the 'Marshes' a few doors up, which had a very good movement in meal trade as well as another comfortable drinking area (although lacking the stylish ambience of the 'Wine Bar'). The place 'took off' due to an acoustic 'set' by guitarist / singer / song writer Joe Seager, who's singular artistic and technical talents were augmented by that true 'song and dance man' ability to get the place jumping and everyone singing along, even though, when they did, he simply stood there, having set the ball rolling and waited for his own cue to continue. Effortless ease. More of this guy elsewhere.
All in all, a very good evening.

The ST/ST/AM Trio.

Visited January 2014
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Brilliant place for drinks and snacks”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My family and I visited the wine bar last Saturday as we were in Ludlow for the Medieval Fayre, we have been there a number of times over the years and the staff are always friendly and helpful so I feel they deserve a mention for consistent good service. The teas, coffees and hot chocolate are of the highest quality and their snacks, cakes and pastries are to die for and although not the cheapest place to have an alcoholic drink, again the standard is very high. It is not easy to find this place as it is tucked away in a little courtyard, Quality Square but it is well worth a visit and if you are a film buff they have a comprehensive collection of black and white photos of past Hollywood stars on the walls. I should mention that well behaved dogs on leads are welcome which is a bonus for pet owners.

• Visited November 2013