“disappointed”

Ludlow Kitchen
Ranked #39 of 93 Restaurants in Ludlow
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Informal day time cafe serving Ludlow Food Centre's own home made produce.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Was taken here for lunch last Friday, most disappointing, as we walked in and waited by cakes and gateways which were uncovered I felt ahhh.had menu very little choice for lunch but most admit what we had was nice but expensive.Our cups of tea were served with odd cups and saucers(I have since been told this is the new fad) but not for me.I am glad I have been but won't be returning also there were no local people eating there

Edward799, General Manager at Ludlow Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for this review. I am not sure how best to respond. We have a café menu with a full breakfast menu, a selection of sandwiches with home baked bread, salads, vegetarian dishes, quiches, fishcakes and four different burgers as well as our estate platters, within which almost all of the ingredients are made by us, as well as a range of cakes, desserts and our own dairy ice cream. I personally do not believe this to be little choice. In terms of price all food is made in small quantities by artisans, not in factories and we have a great team of staff taking orders and bringing food to tables, so yes, you will pay £9.95 for a locally reared beef burger with home cured Gloucester Old Spot chorizo and a homemade smoked cheese with a large portion of chips or £6.95 for a large rare roast beef sandwich with plenty of salad and homemade mustard. Yes, we have some unusual crockery, in that we have the majority from the local Wenlock Pottery and some traditional colourful tea pots and saucers which we believe are fun.
Edward Berry
Managing Director

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The wife and I called in after visiting Ludlow, as we knew we would be visiting the Food Centre.
We both noticed on the way in that there was an open display of cakes, scones, meringues by where we were waiting to be seated. We both commented that surely that is not where they collect the cakes for serving, but only for display? I am sorry to say that this indeed where they collect the cakes from - ie. a completely uncovered area next to where people are waiting to be seated. Completely unhygienic in my opinion - they are not to know who has coughed/sneezed etc over the cake display, and I, for one, would not want anything served to me from that location.
We sat down and both plumped for the Soup, which was Pea and Mint, served with a bread roll and butter. A little expensive at £5 each, but nevertheless it was very nice. There were no salt and pepper mills, but small open dishes containing loose salt and pepper in each. I did not fancy taking a pinch of pepper for my soup from a dish which had previously been used by 'god knows who', so I asked the young waitress for a pepper mill. She replied they don't do them, but then returned with a sort of wooden implement that I suspect was to gather some pepper from the dish. Poor girl had clearly misunderstood what I had said.
The Soup was very nice I should say, even without the added pepper which I would have preferred.
So the place was let down in two respects in my opinion, both Hygiene matters and both of which I would not have anticipated at this establishment.

2  Thank TGV1902
Edward799, General Manager at Ludlow Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Ludlow Kitchen. When we developed the new café last year we planned to have something on arrival that would look tasty and attractive and to display our home made cakes. We do have domes but some products are open. We take food hygiene extremely seriously and have extensive communication with the Environmental Health Officer as well as having within the team here and in the Ludlow Food Centre a huge amount of food experience. The display of cakes reminds me of the old fashioned sweet trolley in restaurants of a bygone era and the looks of pleasure that I see give me confidence that we have made the right decision and having visited a huge number of other outlets; I know full well that what we do is by no means unusual.
We hoped to do something a little different with the café. The salt and freshly ground pepper are served in local Wenlock pottery bowls with locally made Welsh love spoons to serve. Given the number of requests that we receive to purchase these we feel we have made a good choice.
On both of your observations I have added some photos in our TripAdvisor entry.
Edward Berry
Managing Director

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Well cooked food, well presented in a lovely location... what more could you want? O yes, friendly staff.. they have these too. The Green Cafe has a small menu, which I often think is a sign of good food and sure enough, everything we had was delicious. My only small complaint was that I would have liked a deeper filling in my lemon tart... but it was still scrumptious. Very reasonably priced...probably a good idea to book ahead, especially at peak times as it is the ideal place to sit and lunch watching the river and all that surrounds it.

2  Thank UKLizzie-Lou
Reviewed 16 April 2014

A mix of quirky, shabby chic and refectory dining! Delicious quiche with a cheeky salad, followed by a pot of tea - all served in lovely china. I was at the end of a long table shared with others but didn't feel like I was part of another group. Will return.

1  Thank Rowills
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We LOVE this place - gorgeous surroundings, fabulous food and delightful people! It serves brilliant local produce cooked in imaginative and interesting ways and beautifully presented. A 'must-visit' as far as we're concerned!

1  Thank AndieH