“Friendly & Convenient”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
UK
“Friendly & Convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

A group of us stayed for four nights on a golfing trip, & had a good time. The hotel has lots of parking, but is only 10 mins walk from Ludlow, along the river, & under the castle. The rooms were large & light, with views of the countryside around, including the castle for some. Staff unobtrusive but friendly. We met the owner who was also cheery. Breakfasts especially good. Just what we wanted.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank danglefox
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
I was pleased that the hotel met your requirements. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

Just a one night stay while passing through after a Welsh tour. Ludlow was recommended but I didn't know that night was at the tail end of their annual arts festival. Accordingly it took a few attempts to find a room, now I know why, and that's what brought me to The Cliffe. Incidently it's not on a Cliff rather it's down a narrow lane just outside of town and next to a strange chalet (holiday?) park which is a bit of an eyesore unfortunately (for the hotel). With the address, Dinham is actually a street or road name. It starts in the town and runs down the hill from the Castle and down over the river bridge. Go over the bridge and you'll start to see brown signs for the hotel. It's a small lane off to the right not far along from the bridge. The hotel has free parking which is a real plus from what I later saw when exploring the town.

The Cliffe itself is not bad, but I wouldn't say it was good either. It seemed like it might have thrived once of a day, but now seemed to have fallen behind the other competition in town.

Reception was an alcove at the front door and registration took a minute. But then I had booked online and their system made me pay for the room in advance at that time. Perhaps that was because I booked late or perhaps because of the festival or perhaps it was just policy.

My room was a small single and that's just how it was marketed... "a small single room", So no complaints there, I got what I paid for and the B&B rate I got was about the average for a B&B property. The single bed was fine, albeit it was against the wall which I personally don't like. But the room had enough space for me and the en suite was larger than expected. The free wi-fi worked really well. The view out of the window looked over part of the chalet park and then beyond to the castle in the distance and that reminded me why I was there, to see Ludlow.

So I walked into town which only took about 10 minutes, though once over the river bridge there is a bit of a hill to climb as you approach the castle and town centre. Ludlow really does live up to the hype. On the face of it just a perfect English village with a castle at the end of the main square which was bustling that night because of the arts festival. I had a good wander around, though the castle itself was closed because of a ticketed concert that night in the grounds. When I had checked into the Cliffe Hotel earlier they mentioned dinner was available but neither their menu or their dinning room looked appealing so I decided to eat in Ludlow. When I got back to the hotel it seemed like no one had elected to eat in the dining room, it was dark. I just saw a couple eating average looking meals in the bar. By the way the bar only opens from 7-9pm in the evenings.

I ate in Ludlow itself in a Thai restuarant just off the square. I think it was called The Globe. An odd find in ancient Ludlow but most everywhere else was busy with pre concert diners. The Globe had a great casual bar side to it, just across the alley from its restuarant and that's where I ended up. A few drinks and a green curry in a buzzy casual bar makes a nice exception to your average hotel/pub (menu).

Next morning the breakfast at The Cliffe was good, I couldn't fault it, the poached eggs were nearly perfect.

Check out was an express style breeze, a sign by the door said to just leave your key in a box on the desk!

Overall would I stay again?, probably not, but then I've stayed at far worse.

Room Tip: The only tip I have is for the hotel, perhaps hide the gas tank in the garden. It's the first th...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank AMoz
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thank you for sharing the experience of your visit to Ludlow and your overnight stay at The Cliffe Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and the convenience of plenty of parking.
Northampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Booked online for the two of us and on arrival we were informed that we had booked a family room and a campbed had been put in the room for our child, which would make the room a little cramped. When we pointed out that we hadn't booked a family room and showed the receptionist our printed booking for a double she became somewhat flustered. We asked for the campbed to be removed but she refused, saying that no-one was available to move it, but don't worry it won't get in the way!

We were shown to a room at the top of the hotel and were again surprised to find that it had twin beds, not quite what we had in mind for an anniversary weekend away from the children, and not what we'd booked. The campbed made the room very cramped and we expected it to be removed as soon as someone was available, but it stayed in the room to trip us up until we checked out.

The room was very dated, cobwebs in the corners and the bathroom...well it was shockingly bad. There were missing tiles, a hand-held shower that dribbled water out if you're lucky and a general air of shabbiness and disrepair.

Breakfast the next morning was the one redeeming feature of our stay. It was absolutely lovely, the staff were very accommodating to my vegetarian husband and all the food was well presented and beautifully cooked.

Overall we were incredibly disappointed by our stay in this hotel. We had spent the previous night in the Travelodge just outside Ludlow and thought we were moving into a really nice place for the second night but we wished we'd stayed there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PusscatT
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
You have written a review dated 9 July 2011 of a stay in September 2010. The bathroom was completely refurbished in February 2010. I think you must be confusing The Cliffe with another hotel.
Stamford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here one night as part of a week's holiday.
The hotel is situated a short walk from the town and has an attractive garden and terrace.
Our room (2) was very spacious with windows on two sides and an good bathoom with bath and shower. The room had a sofa and was cosy but otherwise was plainly appointed.
We did not have dinner, but a hearty breakfast was freshly cooked to order.
In the evening the bar was full of very friendly folk and had two real ales available.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stamford_Trencherman
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
Thank you for your positive review. It was nice meeting you both and hope you'll return to see us again one day.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We have had another good weekend staying at the Cliffe Hotel,Dinham in the lovely town of Ludlow.
Mrs Jones and her team offer a high standard of accomodation in a helpful,very friendly manner.
This Hotel has a great location,with beautiful views and it very quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the front offer good views
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strawberryzen
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Thank you for your positive review......and for returning to see us.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

We were only in Ludlow for one night to attend a wedding and came up trumps with our choice of accomodation. Our room was clean, of a good size and very reasonably priced. The bathroom looked like it had just been re-fitted and was very modern in design , flat screen tv in the room was also a bonus. The staff were very friendly and provided good service from start to finish. The cooked breakfast on offer was of a high standard, very good quality sausages, bacon etc. and certainly sets you up for the day. If we are ever in Ludlow again we will certainly be booking into The Cliffe hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Plumula
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at the Cliffe. We hope you'll come again...and stay a little longer! Helen
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

Stayed here for a business trip and was pleasantly surprised,

The only criticism I have is the noise from the next room was unbearable at times with a screaming child, but guess not much can be done bout that.

All in all pleasant stay, nice food lovely bar, might have been handy to open before 7, pint after work always nice!

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank SheltieShetland
nelliejj, Owner at The Cliffe at Dinham, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you for your review. Residents are welcome to have a drink outside the bar opening hours so please ask if you come again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Fishmore Hall
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle
Elm Lodge
Elm Lodge
#2 of 48 in Ludlow

Been to The Cliffe at Dinham? Share your experiences!