All reviews the river ludlow castle small hotel caravan park ten minute walk no lift restaurant with rooms excellent food leave the car short break lovely hotel ample parking stayed for one night quiet location an overnight stay venison town centre
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Tasting menu was excellent and all the food was very good, the breakfast and meals of the standard menu. helpful staff and easy to get into ludlow.
Surrounding area is very nice and the town of Ludlow has a lot of history and a very well preserved castle.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

At check-in to this hotel all was fine apart from the dead flies that were seen to have accumulated on the window ledge in reception. My partner and his friends were given room keys so off they went to get ready for their night out in local Ludlow. They had decided to eat out so did not use the restaurant that evening. On returning to the hotel that evening they made sure they were quiet upto their rooms as it was in the early hrs so all was quiet apart from the very loud snoring that was coming from the next room,this made for an uncomfortable nights rest for my partner. The breakfast the next morning was enjoyed by all but unfortunately the stay at this hotel was completely ruined by the owner and the guests who were snoring their heads off in the room next door. Firstly the snoring guests complained to the owner that my partner and his friends were making a noise on their arrival back to the hotel and had kept them awake and that a £50 refund was demanded. Upon this the owner then demanded that my partner and friends were to pay the hotel another £50 for disturbing and keeping the very loud snoring guests awake. Also the owner added to this that this was due to my partner swearing in the restaurant the evening before when he had not even set foot in there and had eaten in local Ludlow. Good business and loyalty was given to this hotel only to be thrown back in their faces. Perhaps only the locals are welcome here. Overall not impressed.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We stayed one night and had booked a room B&B and evening meal. Our whole stay was ruined by the presence of the Stag party (very loud, rowdy, excessive alcohol consuming, swearing group of adults planning for a fancy dress pub crawl in Ludlow) in the hotel. The 'normal' hotel and restaurant clientele I believe to be adults looking for a quiet quality break and some lovely food in a nice ambient environment. Thst's what I thought we had booked - how far from the truth that turned out to be! The owners, Paul and Barbara, were aware that this group of people were a problem from as early as mid-Saturday afternoon. We saw this group in the bar when we checked and the owner told us that he had to tell them not to swear even at this early stage. We could see that a number of the people had already had a lot of alcohol and the noise level from the group was loud. We didn't really think much at this stage as presumed that they were maybe hang-overs from lunch and would be gone.

At 18:45, we came down from our room for pre-dinner drinks and the group was still there and really noisy and had totally taken over the central sitting area of the bar. Instead of sitting sipping our drinks overlooking the countryside and enjoying a relaxed evening, we had to sit on a hard bench seat next to reception and listen to the increasingly shouting voices, swearing and watch the clowning around behaviour of this group. More people arrived to join this group and added to the rowdiness and size of the take over of the bar area. The hotel had now become their meeting point before their Ludlow pub crawl.

We then moved through to the restaurant area and were shown to our seats. The noise from the group was still very audible from the bar but at least they were not right in front of us now! However, the next thing to happen was that members of the rowdy group were shown to the table laid for 3 to our right. We could not believe this - that in the otherwise empty restaurant (at that stage) they would be sat right next to us! It then got worse as the table for 3 was turned into a table for 5 as two more of the group also wanted to eat. Chairs were added including one to the side meaning that a pre-booked table was compromised for space. We had our starters and our main course and bottle of wine with this rowdy lot next to us, with other members of their group dropping in and out and clowning around and pretending to be waiters and shouting through from the restaurant to the bar and vice versus. They were also swearing throughout. They had ordered steaks which took a very long time to arrive so they continued in this vein this whole time. We then moved onto our dessert course with the rowdy behaviour continuing. Finally as we were half-way through dessert the table left to change into their fancy dress and pre-arranged departure at 20:30. Once this group had gone we could actually appreciate the lovely dining room and appreciate the muted conversations across the orangery with fellow diners. I'm not really sure that I can say much about the food we had as the whole experience was tarnished beyond recovery by now.

My view is that this group should have been asked to leave the hotel in the afternoon and continue their drinking in a pub in the town. The owners have the absolute right to do this, but clearly didn't value their other paying customers as much, even though they both clearly recognised the group were exhibiting inappropriate behaviour for the hotel and restaurant. If it was felt that money from the group was more important than the rest of the guests then the group could have been 'corralled' into another area of the hotel e.g. the unused 2nd restaurant area to try and reduce the impact on everyone else. The owners continued to know this was a problem in the restaurant and even told us that they had asked the chef to be as quick as he could to get rid of the group.

Now we come to happenings overnight! The owner had already asked them to be quiet on their return. This was clearly never going to happen having seen how this group interacted. We also knew that part of the group were in Room 10 next to us in Room11 so we would hear their return. At 2am the group staying at the hotel returned and woke us up with their banging about and talking and laughing and listening to what we think was maybe video on their phones. This went on for 1 hour with other people also in and out of room 10 throughout this hour. The owners explained to us in the morning that noise between Room 10 & 11 has been cause for complaint before so as you might imagine at 2am in the morning its a real issue! We could then not get back to sleep until around 04:30. We then slept until just before 7am when we were once again woken up by the people in Room 10 talking and laughing loudly. At this stage we just got up and came down for breakfast hoping that the rowdy group would not be there for an early breakfast. However, not a chance of escape as there they all were gathering together round a large table and exchanging stories from their night and comparing hang-overs. Other guests were seated in corners trying to ignore what was around us.

We then spoke with the owners a second time and offered feedback. I was totally taken by surprise that Paul, the owner, didn't offer an immediate apology to us, but rather chose to explain about how the noise between room 10 & 11 was a known problem and that the builders needed to come back in to reconfigure the rooms. This really wasn't of any interest to us having just spent the night in room 11 and kept awake for hours in the middle of the night and woken up early. Paul then also went on to explain the limited ability there is to control who books over the internet. I totally accept this. What I don't accept are Pauls next words about - quote "we're not running a concentration camp" and not being able to tell people what to do. Not only do I find the reference to a concentration camp offensive but the fact is the owners do have control, so of course can decide what is or isn't acceptable for their hotel and for them to take appropriate actions to manage this.

My view is that Paul, the owner should have been pro-active in seeking our views from our overnight experience. The owners knew there was likely going to be an issue but it was left with the other customers to complain rather than them to be seen to be caring about the experience of all paying customers. I am aware that most people won't complain and Paul's position seemed to be happy with that. I am certain that other diners and residents will have felt like we did but wont complain as they just don't do that. As a hotelier its their job to seek feedback and they could clearly see that the group were a problem but they didn't extend their hospitality skills to find out and didn't take action to manage the rowdy group that was all in their control to do. I then could not believe that it was up to me to say that I felt they should do something to compensate us for such an awful experience and furthermore he asked what did I think he should do! We were clearly exhausted having hardly any sleep and emotional due to having booked a lovely night away that turned into a nightmare night away.

We accepted an offer of £50 off the final bill at the time, whilst feeling exhausted. After recovering from this night we realised that we had still paid £178.00 for a room we had with little sleep and for a meal and dining ambience that was ruined right from pre-drinks until half-way through our dessert! I have contacted the hotel to ask for a further refund of £64 - which still leaves the hotel with 50% of the bill paid! Needless to say I have had no response.

I have read other reviews on TripAdvisor for this hotel/restaurant and the theme with the reviews that are unhappy appears to be around receiving a poor response to a complaint from the owners. That is my experience too.

I guess that if everything is ok with a stay / meal and feedback to the owners isn't required (apart from compliments) then I'm sure this will be a nice place to stay and to eat. However, if you have any issues you can expect to leave unhappy and with unresolved issues.

Room tip: Noise travels very easily between room 10 and 11
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank TravellerH2
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel with stunning views. We arrived earlier than check in time but was able to leave our car to go and explore Ludlow. Only a short walk over the bridge. Our room was clean and fresh. I did raise concerns about our room being over the kitchen and the air conditioning system buzzing continuously. The manager reassured me that it is only on when the kitchen is in use and the latest that would be was approximately 9.30. True to his word it went off and did not disturb my sleep. The next morning we were asked if we had slept well and offered an upgrade to a different room. We declined this kind offer as we were settled in our room. This is a lovely hotel with staff who are friendly and helpful. I would recommend it.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank F1627YVdonnao
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely stay with friends at this hotel. I love the bar/restaurant area. Very bright and nicely decorated. The staff were friendly. We had a delicious meal in the restaurant on the first night. The room was relatively small, but was comfortable and had everything we needed. The breakfast was very good too. Location was ok. It is about a 10 minute walk into Ludlow, but there is quite a steep hill and if it is raining, like it was when we were there, it is not very easy to get a taxi at all. Ludlow is a lovey town. I would definitely recommend this hotel

Date of stay: August 2017