“Pub Lunch......oh dear”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Bull Hotel
Ranked #45 of 49 Ludlow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Popped into the Bull for lunch as from the outside looks great and is one of the oldest in the Town in fact we nearly stayed here (but for the reviews - thank you Trip Advisor reviewers for saving us. The place was grubby and unkept the small menu gave a selection of light bites and mains all reasonably priced and the beer was great but that is where it ends really I asked the barman if I could have a cheese and onion sandwich on brown bread only to be told that if it was not a sandwich on the menu then it was not available and he dare not ask the chef as he is also apparently the owner and 'he gets very funny if you ask him for something not on the menu'. I settled for a ham which came on white bread despite my request (dare not ask for a few chips. The wife had roasted vegetables on a Panini which was more of a burger bun but at least she got the vegetables (which is more than could be said for the party of four at the next table whose meal was served without the menu stated accompaniment). Think this place is due a visit from turnaround expert Gordon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eyespie2450
There are newer reviews for Bull Hotel

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here with two old friends and booked the family room to save money. I made a last minute decision to travel by train having read some reviews on the car park. Glad I did. My friends were not so fortunate - they arrived by Car and Motorbike. Read on.
On arrival we were shown to our room in which the third bed was a sofa bed but had been provided without sheets and the person showing the room did not know how to operate it. They said somebody would come up and make the bed shortly. This was 1:30pm. The bedding was not actually provided until sometime after 8 that evening despite two reminders.
The room was however clean.
Around 5:30 pm my friends were also asked to remove their vehicles from the car park because a band was playing there that night. Unfortunately, my friends had been drinking and did not wish to break the law. After some discussion they were allowed to leave their vehicles as parked because the band was now going to be playing indoors! It is crazy to advertise residents parking and then withdraw it after you have booked in.
At about 7:30 we decided to go out for a bite to eat. We returned to the Inn at around 11:00. It was very noisy - as expected - but there was also a number of very drunk teenagers - which was a bit unsavory. We had a drink in the bar because there was no point going to bed due to the noise. However by midnight we had had enough so retired upstairs. Unfortunately the music and noise did not die down until about 2:30 Sunday morning.
We arrived for breakfast the next morning to find that they had set our table for two rather than three but this was resolved quite quickly. There was plently of choice for breakfast including a full English, cereals etc. The staff were happy to cater to my vegetarian requirements.
We spent a pleasant day around Ludlow and returned to the hotel about 9:00pm.
I was quite surprised that it seemed even more lively than Saturday night. We decided to go to our room - which overlooked the car park. At about 10:00pm a fight broke out in the car park between drunken teenage girls, with the boys egging them on. Glasses were smashed - lots of shouting. This went on for at least 30 minutes with no staff in site. After more glasses were smashed the landlord arrived but did very little. He carried on serving these drunk kids and seemed more concerned about the glasses - even though there was a lot of agression / shouting and swearing. About 30 minutes later the fighting started again and this time the landlord insisted the drunks went indoors and carried on serving them - amazing.
When at closing time most people went home, we had to suffer to listen to two drunken lads shouting in the car park until well after 1pm - with no staff in site.
The next day after a good breakfast we left to find broken glass all round our vehicles - which we had to clear ourselves before we left. Luckily there was no actual damage.
I don't mind a bit of noise and like a drink myself but I expect a landlord to keep order - this did not happen. I expect him to make sure everything quietens down at closing time and this did not happen either. It is even more important when you have paying guests.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at the Bull for Ludlow food festival. Our room was exactly as pictured on the website; really clean and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely; choice of 3 cereal, Full English; bacon, sausage, tomato, mushrooms, egg,beans and as much toast as you like; fruit juice and a pot of tea of coffee.
The website also advertises that the venue is an inn in the middle of Ludlow that provides live entertainment, so yes there was music personally I enjoyed it, and I can't understand why people expect a thriving town pub to be quiet, it surely wouldn't be a sign of a health establishment if it was.
We will be returning for next years food festival.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Planned a weekends stay here, Friday-Sunday,with my partner. Ludlow is a beautiful place with the main attraction being the Wonderful Castle but it also has lovely shops and the most fabulous market. We go away a lot of weekends during the year and have stayed in a variety of places none quite prepared us for this! We arrived at the Bull to be greeted by a bunch of rowdy men and women seated in the courtyard around 2;30 pm, mostly worse for wear!!! Weekend enthusiasm, just enjoying themselves, no harm to be done, so we thought! We were taken to what was a pleasant room, clean and fairly modern, the entrance was dusty but it's an old building we accepted that but the view we had was........ of the courtyard!!!!!
As the day progressed we witnessed, Vomiting(mainly self-induced to continue drinking) by both sexes, arguing, smashing of glasses, we went into the town for a drink, had a lovely evening with the locals, a pub called the Rose and Crown, on our return to The Bull, to round the evening off, a brawl, two to be accurate.
A complaint to the management was greeted with 'I didn't see anything' this as she served one of the men with another drink whilst two other vulgar men leered at me over the bar! We had breakfast the following morning, the choice was a Full English or you could make yourself toast with the toaster provided, think that was the vegetarian option!
Saturday nights entertanment, Country Music and fighting!...........No Thanks
Check-in 2.30pm Friday Check-out 10am Saturday
Absolutley AWFUL!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 1NaughtyPixie
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Thankfully we only stayed for one night!!first impression was what a dive,the staircase was dirty,smelly in need of a good clean and refurbishment,the room not much better but really needed cleaning.fortunately i always bring antibacterial cleaning wipes to wipe anything i may need to touch and what a good job i did! the bathroom could do with a revamp too!the worst place i have ever stayed in needless to say i would not recommend this accommodation to anyone!the only positive i have to say is that this "hotel"does have free wfi.!

Room Tip: Give this accommodation a miss!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Like the previous reviewer we were only there for one night (sat) as attending a wedding, although not the same one.
We were handed the key by a barman and taken to our room.
First impressions.....OMG !!!
Dirty carpet, dirty wallpaper. We were then given a twin room. My partner had booked this and doesn't like a fuss, he had been told no doubles available, this wasn't true as room 1 was free throughout our visit.
The room was ok, bathroom smelt of wee....discovered this was as the loo had not been flushed by the previous user. Ah well, we were in a hurry so got changed and headed out.
We returned at approx 10 pm,the band outside were in full swing with a rowdy crowd. Unfortunately the windows didn't close properly !! TBH this wasn't a problem for us, although the screams of "get off him" as a fight broke out were a little disturbing.
Beds were comfy although a little soft, we both slept ok.
I didn't have breakfast although my partner said it was ok. No toast though as the toaster " had no fuse ".
Most disturbing were the 3 curly black hairs on the soap in the shower !!!!!! I was in and out in a flash!!!
Nowhere to check out, handed the key to the pot washer and left, vowing never to return

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank AnnCooperuk
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here for one night as we attended a wedding at a near by country hotel which had no rooms left,first of all no reception we met what I think was a manager on the stairs she just handed us our key no info on breakfast or any info or even hope u have a pleasant stay! Room was standard nothing special,we returned to our room after wedding around 11 very loud music playing noises swearing from punters from outside and down stairs which I know is a pub but its a hotel should respect people sleeping as you would in your own home music off by 11! I would not recommend staying here with children! Music finally went off about half 12 could then hear loud shouting of people leaving then loud bangings of furniture being moved this went on for another half a hour! We only found out about breakfast by the book In the room I thought an hour to have breakfast half 8-half 9 wasn't really fair and you had to check out by half 10!! Found the lad who served us breakfast rude as we sat at a table n he told us we had to move to one that was all ready laid for breakfast! Food again was nothing special I myself is a chef and I would rate the food as 2! We then went to check out again didn't know where to hand out key in so we gave it to the lad who served us breakfast! Wasn't very clean and really needs updating!clear signs of where to go to check in need to be made as well! Felt very unwelcome and I feel it was not worth the money I paid for the room I've been in nicer places for cheaper prices and as there was no staff around to share my feedback with I feel that it's a poor place to call a hotel/bnb! Wouldn't recommend and wouldn't stay there again!!

• Stayed: August 2013