“Brilliant Service and Outstanding Food”
Review of La Becasse - CLOSED

La Becasse
Price range: US$26 - US$65
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Ludlow Train Station 5 mins.
Description: La Bécasse offers award-winning fine dining in the picturesque town of Ludlow.The stunning oak-panelled restaurant and state-of-the art kitchens behind the scenes under the guidance of Head Chef Will Holland, attracted attention from the moment it opened as the sister restaurant to Berkshire restaurant L’ortolan, where chef patron Alan Murchison has held his Michelin star since 2003.Building on his life-long passion for cooking and the finest seasonal, ingredients, Chef Will Holland and his brigade work closely with local suppliers and producers, and wherever possible use produce that is ‘Local to Ludlow’.Since opening the doors in July 2007, the team at La Bécasse has been earning awards and accolades. A prestigious Michelin Star was awarded in January 2009; before that La Bécasse became Ludlow’s only restaurant with three AA Rosettes, was included in Harden’s Restaurant Guide as well as The Good Food Guide published by Which?, and was voted "Best Fine Dining Restaurant" in the West Midlands by Metro within four months of launching.“Fine dining should not be exclusive, pretentious or an intimidating experience,” says Chef Will Holland. "At La Bécasse we aim to provide great food, knowledgeable and professional service, and memorable experiences for all our guests. Winning a Michelin star within 18 months of opening is an acknowledgement of the huge effort that every member of the team has put in since we started.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The young and relatively inexperienced staff at this restaurant are excellent with attentive, but not overzealous, service. Their recommendations both for the food and the wine are spot on and they show an attention to detail which is commendable. However, the five course tasting menu outshines even their efforts. It is perfectly balanced for flavours, seasoning and size of portions and the presentation is outstanding.
My wife and I have rarely had such a high class meal outside London or other major cities across Europe - and at a fraction of the price.
I note with interest the other recent (and more negative) comments. I can only say that on this occasion, we could not fault any aspect of the restaurant.

1  Thank John L

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I had lunch here last week. The food was superb, all of the staff were attentive and very knowledgeable about the meals they served. We thoroughly enjoyed the occasion and felt it was good value for money and would certainly recommend without hesitation.

1  Thank candiloveholidays
Reviewed 3 May 2014

After a long absence we were back for a long leisurely lunch to celebrate my birthday. We were a little apprehensive after reading the mixed reviews and worried and puzzled after hearing that the whole of the staff had been moved on after Will Hollands departure. The greeting was friendly and efficient and the meal was delicious even if the main dish of of venison was rather more well cooked than I would have liked it and less complex than I've had before. Just as we were leaving a plate of sweets with happy birthday was rushed to the table - a lovely touch.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our first impressions were good and the service in the bar area and restaurant could not be faulted. The food was very well presented, but the main courses (my wife had beef and I had lamb) lacked flavour.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We were not over impressed with this place it used to be quality with a great atmosphere would defiantly not return. Over priced and tasteless. Rather go a few yards down the road for quality